1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

New to SEO - great forum - specific advice?

Hi

I have only just registered on the forum but have been a regular visitor for some weeks and find this forum a great resource.

I find the SEO world is fascinating but complicated for newcomers, I suppose its a matter of priorities?

My site uses clickcartpro dynamically generated pages and has in excess of 300 pages indexed by Google, all of which have very low rankings.

My question is what can I change on my site to achieve higher rankings?

I will continue to read and learn form this excellent forum but would also appreciate any specific suggestions from you experts.

Have a great 2005.

regards

John
    www.french-regional-wines.co.uk
  3. Resident Black Hat
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Get lots and lots of backlinks with good anchor text. Analyze your competitors and find out what they're doing to rank well. Then do the same thing

Sounds so easy doesn't it? It's a lot of hard work tho

G-Man
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by GeoffreyF67
    Get lots and lots of backlinks with good anchor text. Analyze your competitors and find out what they're doing to rank well. Then do the same thing

Sounds so easy doesn't it? It's a lot of hard work tho

G-Man
    Hi Geoffrey

Thanks for the quick response. I'm sure that it is not easy and will be putting the work in over the coming weeks/months.
    I have also much more copy to write for the website, hence the request for prioritising my efforts.
    Is it worthwhile using internal links - ie linking to other pages within my site from page content?

thanks

John
  7. Resident Black Hat

Absolutely. Helps spread the pagerank plus it's something your visitors might like. Basically keep it natural and what the users would like.

As far as content goes, there are various ways you can get fresh content. There are article databases out there if you'd like to grab free articles to put on your site. Plus news feeds and other stuff.

G-Man
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

make sure your content relevant to the target keyword, and create more pages around the same theme also boost your ranking.
  11. L8r
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Welcome to SEOChat!

Good answers come from good questions. Your second question is much more specific and will get a better response. Your first question is too broad based and we know nothing of your site so giving you specific advice is not possible. It's kind of like saying:

Hi, I want to buy a new car, please give me specific advice on which car I should buy.

Now, without knowing where I live, what I like, how many people are in my family, how much gas costs where I live and any number of other specific pieces of information how are you going to tell me what specifically I should buy?
    That being said, Geoffrey and dejaone have given you excellent broad advice.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Gr8ted3s
    Welcome to SEOChat!

Good answers come from good questions. Your second question is much more specific and will get a better response. Your first question is too broad based and we know nothing of your site so giving you specific advice is not possible. It's kind of like saying:

Hi, I want to buy a new car, please give me specific advice on which car I should buy.

Now, without knowing where I live, what I like, how many people are in my family, how much gas costs where I live and any number of other specific pieces of information how are you going to tell me what specifically I should buy?
    That being said, Geoffrey and dejaone have given you excellent broad advice.
    Point taken, I didn't want to be too specific because I am very new to all this so all help is gratefully accepted and I am not sure that a plea of "help, please look at my site and advise how to achieve better rankings" would have gone down very well!

My site sells wine but the vast majority of the content is a wine resource. There are approx 4k searches for the word "wine" per day so I thought that I should be prioritising my approach to SEO, not easy for a complete (idiot) beginner!

thanks for all your help
  15. Resident Black Hat

Originally Posted by gchaney
    <edit here> oops, forgot to address the free articles. I recommend when dealing the free articles you change the content while still giving credit. Given many use the same articles for websites, the use of them could subject the page and site to a duplicate content penalty depending on your page layout. Hense change the content as I have seen sites who use the entirety of articles I have written lose those pages in the serps for Google vai the 1969 flag.<end edit>
    That's a good point. I'm curious, however, how the search engines distinguish between the use of copied articles and the use of news articles that are sent out to every news site out there...Any ideas?

G-Man
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by GeoffreyF67
    That's a good point. I'm curious, however, how the search engines distinguish between the use of copied articles and the use of news articles that are sent out to every news site out there...Any ideas?

G-Man
    aha, this is exactly what I have been wondering for a while as well.

I've though about putting a bunch of tutorials on my site - scriptdownloads.com - but i wonder if it would do any good to use the many free tutorials on the web, or would it be much better to pay someone to write several tutorials/articles for me?