Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Search Engine Obsessed
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

New pages not ranking despite good linking strategies

One of my sites is what I'd consider an authority in "widgets" and usually I can add a new widget page and it ranks in hours/days at most. Usually top 3 results.

3 weeks ago I added a new page, brand-model-widgets.html. This page is linked from the main navigation and also have several quality incoming links.

Within that landing page are several supporting pages which have zero inbound links and are only linked to from this parent page.

When I search for the targeted keywords, one of the supporting pages shows up, rather than the main page.

The content of the page is unique, however the title could be deemed similar to others as many pages use Brand Model Widgets as their title, model always being unique. Is it that Google has decided it's too similar. If that's the case, it's somewhat worrying.

I waited 3 weeks to see what happened and now I've added some buffer words to the title, which I really didn't want to do but I'll see how it goes and report back.

In the meantime can anybody else shed any light to this strange behavior?

I was speaking with MadisonSEO earlier who's also recently experienced identical behavior on one of his sites and is also puzzled.

Cheers for reading.

Paul
  3. No Profile Picture
    TPN
    Contributing User

Question No Way... SAME PROBLEM

am having the same problem as below and could really do with the help of all you experts here.

Originally Posted by SEOmaverick
    One of my sites is what I'd consider an authority in "widgets" and usually I can add a new widget page and it ranks in hours/days at most. Usually top 3 results.

3 weeks ago I added a new page, brand-model-widgets.html. This page is linked from the main navigation and also have several quality incoming links.

Within that landing page are several supporting pages which have zero inbound links and are only linked to from this parent page.

When I search for the targeted keywords, one of the supporting pages shows up, rather than the main page.

The content of the page is unique, however the title could be deemed similar to others as many pages use Brand Model Widgets as their title, model always being unique. Is it that Google has decided it's too similar. If that's the case, it's somewhat worrying.

I waited 3 weeks to see what happened and now I've added some buffer words to the title, which I really didn't want to do but I'll see how it goes and report back.

In the meantime can anybody else shed any light to this strange behavior?

I was speaking with MadisonSEO earlier who's also recently experienced identical behavior on one of his sites and is also puzzled.

Cheers for reading.

Paul
    I am having the same problem and could really do with the help of all you experts here.
  5. Contributing
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

When google is doing intensive computing, it does lower the crawl and indexing rate... just normal... wait a bit and it will burp the job or bug it's computing, and then resume with normal indexing.
  7. No Profile Picture
    TPN
    Contributing User

We have been waiting a while now. I have been waiting around a week and the other user around 2 months.
  9. Contributing

Been waiting since Dec on some sites, and they are just starting to pop in the serps... nice bug they had.

Comments on this post

• SEOmaverick agrees : Thanks
    • FogHorn agrees : Jan. for me (smiley here)
    • SEO_AM agrees : A couple of mine are just coming back also. Sank to bottom of page for about 2 months.
  11. Search Engine Obsessed

Originally Posted by Jocelyn
    Been waiting since Dec on some sites, and they are just starting to pop in the serps... nice bug they had.
    It was probably December when this happened to me.

It's good to know that others are experiencing this and also coming out the other end OK.

These pages of mine are still suffering but I'm a little more optimistic now that I've read and heard of more instances of the same thing.

I'll update as and when these pages rank where I'd expect and finally outrank their supporting pages.

Thanks,

Paul
  13. Search Engine Obsessed

The more I think about this, the more I think it's some kind of page penalty.

It's been months now and other random pages are outranking it.

It's not the only page to suffer, there's a couple.

I didn't do anything out of the ordinary with these pages. They were released, then a couple of links pointed towards them over a couple of day period and that was it.

I'd like to think it was a "hicup" but I'm not so sure.
  15. Contributing

Google started adding pages a bit, and it just stepped back again... nice bug they have this time
  17. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

You really got to think about what you are saying/thinking.

For a penalty to exist you don't just have to be doing some underhanded, dirty, manipulative trick - you have do do it enough it is "automatically detectable" so you can "automatically attract a penalty"...

So you know your website and the underhanded dirty manipulative tricks you doing... so stop that - and the penalty will be gone.

BUT let's be clear... just because something doesn't make any sense - guessing doesn't make any more sense.

So if you think you got a penalty... you're really saying you're deploying tactics that are outside of Google's TOS... and stopping those is the only way you can stop "the penalty".

But if you say "I'm not doing anything outside of Google TOS"... it isn't a penalty.

SO before the membership can help you in public - you really, really, got to come clear on your black or somewhat grey tactics... because adding a "new page" in itself isn't an offense according to Google.
  19. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by TPN
    am having the same problem as below and could really do with the help of all you experts here.

I am having the same problem and could really do with the help of all you experts here.
    Someone's 1 + Your 1 = what?

You also need to come clean on your manipulation practices... you can't have a "PENALTY" if you aren't doing anything wrong.

Stop doing you "dark shady practices"... no penalty!
  21. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

It's been months now and other random pages are outranking it.

It's not the only page to suffer, there's a couple.

I didn't do anything out of the ordinary with these pages. They were released, then a couple of links pointed towards them over a couple of day period and that was it.

I'd like to think it was a "hicup" but I'm not so sure.
    Though I am unaware of your site structure, this often happens with ecom websites where pages share the same title elements and lack enough textual content to make those pages unique.

Hence a duplicate content filter might be applied that shows only 1 page relevant to the query [which might happen to be the supporting page] and hides all others that are deemed relevant to the same query as well.

I can have a detailed look if you can PM me the URL and the keyword/s in question.

SEO FAQs - You might find your answer here.
    SEOchat Forum Rules - Read Before You Post
  23. Search Engine Obsessed

Things just aren't getting better

I'm feeling quite cynical and disheartened with Google at the moment.

Things aren't getting any better. This trend is continuing through other new pages that I'm releasing.

Think of this website as Youtube in that we have Galleries and Download pages, only we support multiple formats.

I created 2 new galleries for new "formats" that had recently been released. I then posted a blog and forum thread to inform members of the new galleries, the posts contained links to said galleries. I then proceeded to build unique and relevant 1 way links to the pages though not aggressively. One of the links was from the number 1 SERP for this particular model.

These pages receive a lot of internal link juice, they're only 1 level deep, assuming we're not classing the top level as a level.

Anyway the same phenomenon is continuing, random posts from either the blog or the forum are ranking over the gallery page. These posts are virtually orphaned. In an attempt to convince Google it was the gallery pages that were important for this term, I added a link from the post to the gallery page to absolutely no effect. While discussing this with SEOmoz, they also suggested I do this to fix the issue but as I explained, I'd already been doing it.

The gallery pages aren't filled with tons of unique textual content, but then neither is youtube, it's the nature of our website and all of our competitors. However we have made an effort to provide some decent textual content on each gallery page. Whereas our competitors have made no efforts at all.

We have a higher PR than all of our competitors and less pages, therefore more link juice to go around. We also have a good link architecture. I can't see this being a duplicate content issue as our competitors would surely be having the same issue or worse, as they have more gallery pages, lower PR and less unique content.

In this particular niche, we rank #1 - #3 for hundreds of thousands of related terms and for the most part, these ranks appear unaffected. But new pages for whatever reason are struggling.

Right now I can't even clutch at straws as I nor nobody I've spoken to can see a problem.

I'm hoping one of you have had a similar experience and figured it out.

For what it's worth the homepage and other gallery pages are reindexed every few hours. Generally Google would index new pages within hours too.

Paul
    Last edited by SEOmaverick; Mar 8th, 2009 at 03:20 PM.
  25. Contributing

There is nothing to figure out... it's simply google keeping those aside, for some reason. One site of mine, just one year old, gets it's pages indexed in about 2-3 days. Still, the site I have the same bug as yours is 4 years old, first for it's keyword, but is still not getting the pages I made in December in... and of course, Jan and after are waiting still too.

The pages are crawled the same day they are uploaded... they are just not added to the site: command and serps. About a week ago, it added 5 pages I made in december...

Just do as if nothing was and keep doing your thing... cause it's not something you did... it's just a bug... like many others google has.
  27. Search Engine Obsessed

Just do as if nothing was and keep doing your thing... cause it's not something you did... it's just a bug... like many others google has.
    I wish I could just accept that it's a "bug". But to me, it seems unlikely as it's not effecting many people at all and I've not found any real documentation of it.

IF it's something I've done or not done, I don't want to ignore it and for the problem to get worse.

Maybe I'm trying to be too controlling in a world that realistically I have little control over.
  29. Contributing

Got that a few times, in different flavors... and got sites disappear... the record was for 9 months... no traffic at all.

One bug I tried to fix was about safe-search filtering half of one site, that a child could read no problem. Tracking the possible source, I made some changes... and it didn't fix the safe-search, and it messed some of my rankings... tried something else... still filtered, and lost more rankings...

I tossed the site aside before I demolish eveything trying to fix something that is obviously a bug... no adult stuff whatsoever on that one. 7 months after, just like this, some pages are unfiltered, then 2 weeks after, basically all pages aren't filtered. Was a bug with google and a too sensitive filter. Still, I was going to destroy the site just for a bug I couldn't fix... had to trash half the traffic to finally put it aside.

Google is full of bugs, and flags on major improvements... and you will just waste your time, and maybe lose the traffic, over getting stressed cause of a bug you can't fix cause it ain't yours. If you think you got hammered, then you have done something that makes you think so... I know my stuff is fit and google is having a brain fart on that site.... and when it'll go through, if it was a flag for too many backlinks, it'll see they are natural links, and I'll have even better rankings than before it got flagged.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: