1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

New local client

Question for everyone. I have a local orthodontist I just started working with. They have a domain and website that has been active since April 2014, and they had a basic site up and running. The DA = 1 (the domain is a .COM).

Found out today that they own a very similar domain, but it is a .co. This domain was registered in May 2014, but has a DA = 25. Backlink research shows only 10 links, most of them from directories. ONE of them is from a directory run by the currently company that is hosting the .CO website. It is a DA = 35, so the link is nice and is also relevant.

My idea:

Transfer the new site I made from the .COM to the .CO and 301 the .COM (DA = 1) to the .CO (DA = 25). Even if I lose that 1 link, I am still way ahead of the game.

Thoughts? Comments?
  3. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Why not 301 the .co to the .com ?

In my eyes the .com is the more powerful domain to have and if you ask random people their thoughts on a .co domain a lot will think its misspelt and add the m on anyway. I have seen it and it made me smile.

doing a 301 will transfer the juice over so I would have thought its a win win.

Comments on this post

• barracuda agrees : I agree totally. I don't like .co domains as they look as if they are incomplete.
  5. English & Russian SEO

I would go for 301 .co to .com and invest right away into very accurate link building from trusted sources to get on the DA factors.

The main reason for this way is a longer-term perspective: yes, you may have some small impact from the .co current authority, but in a longer term .com will be a better investment. Your client's clients are most possibly people with very different backgrounds, and, as Chedders suggests, could misspell your client's domain.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by LiudmilaK; Mar 4th, 2015 at 01:32 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks @chedders. This was actually the process that was just going through my mind!

Thanks for the feedback.
  9. rod@missionop.com

Be mindful that DA & PA are not Google values.

They were designed by MOZ.com to hide Google PR which is what they commonly represented in the past with some other mumbo-jumbo added in.

Today DA & PA are worthless factors for Google at least since PageRank hasn't been updated in 18 months and will never be again.

MOZ.com claims they use Bing.com to continue using DA and PA but IMHO that is merely a false claim to avoid losing revenue.

Bing never did have anything like PageRank so what replaced PageRank in MOZ's equation "NOTHING" they are simply using what it was valid 18 months ago.

They might say that is be better than nothing - I don't buy it!

The problem here is MOZ didn't really invent anything but not willing to say that.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees : exactly
  11. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by Tarheel
    Question for everyone. I have a local orthodontist I just started working with.
    Sorry man, you really need to learn this stuff BEFORE you take money for doing it. Know what I mean?
  13. Moderator
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

301 redirect to .com makes sense and thinking about DA PA is not ranking factor as mentioned above. DA PA does not matter for Google now as google more focused on your ON Page Optimization, the reliability of the content.

So first you read more on local ranking factors this will clear your thoughts. For local ranking you need geo setting in GWT, needed to put complete address and phone number, have to be in Local directories with reviews, Google map listing this are some points you have to think more than DA PA.