1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

New incoming links treatment for sandboxed site

My site is currently in the quicksand. I generally get about 2 new links per day to my site. Every 2 weeks or so I send out about 300 emails for new links, so I get a significant amount of new links in a short period of time once every 2 weeks more or less. Now, every time I've done this I've noticed that my spot drops about 20 positions in the SERPs, which is really insignificant when I'm in the hundreds.

However, I've noticed that within about week of adding a lot of these links, I shoot up past where I was, pre mass-linkage days.

Is it possible there is a filter in effect that pushes you back if you get a lot of links in a single span of time that is not consistent with your normal linking patterns, in order to discourage link campaigns? Or is it possible that the 3 or 4 times I've gotten these one day link boosts the next day it was just natural fluctuations? I think it may be the latter only because it seems it only got pushed back for a week or so.

Has anyone noticed anything like this for sites ranking well, not stuck in the mud?

Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I dont think its for google to understand normal site linkage patners because high profile sites that open for instance Athens oylmpics 2004 within that year they are going to expect a **** load of links to that site... Soo google won't be knocking down there place in the serps just because of strange link paterns, unless maybe its a **** load of 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 PR sites..

Its basically because search engine activity is wierd! I've seen my site dip 5 places and the week after hitting first place in Yahoo and its been there for about a 4 months now
  5. No Profile Picture
    God save the Queen
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by hdpt00
    My site is currently in the quicksand. I generally get about 2 new links per day to my site. Every 2 weeks or so I send out about 300 emails for new links, so I get a significant amount of new links in a short period of time once every 2 weeks more or less. Now, every time I've done this I've noticed that my spot drops about 20 positions in the SERPs, which is really insignificant when I'm in the hundreds.

However, I've noticed that within about week of adding a lot of these links, I shoot up past where I was, pre mass-linkage days.

Is it possible there is a filter in effect that pushes you back if you get a lot of links in a single span of time that is not consistent with your normal linking patterns, in order to discourage link campaigns? Or is it possible that the 3 or 4 times I've gotten these one day link boosts the next day it was just natural fluctuations? I think it may be the latter only because it seems it only got pushed back for a week or so.

Has anyone noticed anything like this for sites ranking well, not stuck in the mud?

Thanks!

I've noticed similar to this - lately I've been playing around with the internal linking structure of a site to try and give some individual pages a boost for their targetted keywords.

The pattern that I've been seeing is that once G picks up a link to a page I can expect the page that the link points towards to initialy fall back several spots only to climb back up a little higher than it was prior to it getting the link after a week or so.

It's almost as though once G finds a (internal) link to a page it slaps a mini penalty on it untill the ranking value of the link is taken into account and overides it.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I have the same thing with my backlinks. Everytime i add new backlinks and google picks them up i drop in the serps for 2-4 days, after this period of time i get hifher rankings then before !!. Don't worry, just go and get more links, patience is the key in SEO.
    Pharmacea.org - New OP Affiliate Program. Join us!. Generic and Brand medications. High 28% commission.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Postmaster
    I dont think its for google to understand normal site linkage patners because high profile sites that open for instance Athens oylmpics 2004 within that year they are going to expect a **** load of links to that site... Soo google won't be knocking down there place in the serps just because of strange link paterns, unless maybe its a **** load of 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 PR sites..
    I totally agree. I was going to post the same thing. I mean think of September 11th. I'm sure there were NUMEROUS sites including the Red Cross that went up for the relief fund and things of that nature. And I'm sure there were thousands of sites that immediately linked to them. Would it makes sense that G would PENALIZE the Red Cross because they got a BUNCH of new links all of a sudden? I don't think so. It's a common sense issue here.