Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

New Google algo checklist/todos

Could you give some basic do's and don't's of "footers" such as should they be above or below your copyright, etc. All my sites have menus down the left column, should the footer contain all of the links on this menu? Also, my pages are in tables where the left column is viewed on the left but is spidered last. So should my footers be at the bottom of this left column or at the bottom of the right hand column (where the footer would be spidered somewhere past the middle, but not last.)?

Could you also give some basic do's and don't's of "site maps." What's the best way to organize them. If the same internal link appears on several pages should it appear several times on the site map? Etc., etc.

I'll accept any portion of your first $20K as payment for expanding and inspiring your very helpful checklist/todos article!
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Fantastic....but?

[QUOTE=Webby]I feel an article coming on ;-)
    Thought I'd pass it by you guys and gals first.

Fantasic and useful post. Thank you. I have an area that I'd like to bring up. I read every forum there is, asked this question a hundred times now and either I'm asking a question the experts are afraid of and don't reply or they skirt around the subject. There could be good reason for this, but I keep trying.

In your post you talk about internal links. Obviously I agree of their importance. However, I keep asking the experts about cross linking between different sites you own. I have 5 sites and at one time I cross linked them all. Then one of the dances came along and I dropped out of sight. Someone suggested I get rid of the crosslinking which I did and did climb back.

However, I do have different content on all my sites and in some cases would like to link to a page that I would consider useful. I also would like to be able to link all my sites to one site map and all sites to my check out page for payment. But now I'm afraid to do so.

Since I have asked the question if you are penalized by google if you cross link your sites, I have gotten a variety of answers. I was told my bounce back in the SERPs had to do with things shaking out from the dance and my drop in rank had nothing to with cross linking. Others have told me if you cross link within the same IP C block, google will penalize you....others say it is a matter of degree or how much cross linking you do.

At any rate, I do not cross link my sites, yet it would be beneficial to my customers if I could refer to a subject between sites. For example on one site I talk about the K-1 Process and another site about Green Card. It would be useful to cross link a reference to these pages.

I also want to put at the bottom of each of my sites home pages, the url of all my websites. But again, fear has set in.

What is your opiniion about cross linking...especially within the same IP C block. The C block seems to be a catch 22 unless you want to have a sepearate web host for each domain name. That can be costly.

Any feedback

thanks.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

>>Server setting problems (bad headers etc.),

How can i be sure that my server settings are OKEY and how can i check it? And what should i tell to hosting technical staff?
  7. Give me Backlinks

steveeyes, I've had a similar experience with cross-linking (though I was not lucky to see any improvement even after I got rid of the linking).

The very first thing I did after I overhauled the linking structure was to mail to Google asking them to review the site and revive its status, since there was nothing objectionagle any more with the site. I received an autoresponder and then a peronalized mail stating they had forwarded the site for review to their engineeres. The revival of my site is still awaited anyway.

OK, as far as linking betwwen a few pages is concerned, I think that's OK. Google finds it objectionable when you cross link from all pages, since that's generally done to manipulate PR and get a link text boost.

Apart from that, to be on the safe side, you need to maintain a very good ratio of incoming and outgoing links to make sure that Google doesn't look at your sites as a link farm etc. Your sites should have incoming links from other sites than your own as well.

As of same IP, I don't think that should be dicey. Once your link ratio is acceptable, you should be fine.

I'm no expert, but since I have had that experience and I have sort of researched quite a bit, so I thought I should let you in on my opinion.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

"Don't participate in link schemes designed to increase your site's ranking or PageRank."
    http://www.google.ie/webmasters/guidelines.html

Want a safe cross-linking strategy?

Treat your sites as stand-alone individuals, if there's a good reason to link, do it from within the page content, and not footers etc.
  11. SEO Freak
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Sorry folks, real busy lately to answer specific questions. Basically there is a thrwshold which is different for every keyword/keyword phrase that dictates whether a site is authority status or not. It isnt as simply as xyz points = authority site.

@steelyeyes / Maneesh, cross linking is highly unlikely to have caused the downfall of your site. it may well just be that the threshold for authority status changed and you disapeared and then changed back again. I really doubt it was a cross linking issue unless it was particularly crass.

@uyorukk
    There is alot can go wrong with server settings, 'if modified since' header not working properly for example or the wrong header code being sent or a number of other server issues particulrly downtime or delay in getting files. I'm not really a server expert so someone else could probably answer that question better than I.

@mharvey
    My own footers although at the bottom of the visible page are actually only 3/4 of the way down the source code which is essentially what for google is important. I dont think it matters where the links are in the page. It is a good idea to distribute your keywords over the entire page so put the links in a place where cureently the density is poor for example. That might not necessarily be a footer, it might be your main nav or right hand column or whatever. footer links are normal links. Nothing special about them at all. BTW, in addition to footer consider also bread crumb links. That's the "You are here: home > category > product" kind of thing you sometimes see.
    Sorry if Ive missed anyones question / query. I'm a busy teddy bear right now and its also currently 11:35 pm and I have to be up to catch a train to holland in 6 hours :-/

Cheers
    Alan
    What is a website without traffic?
    ABAKUS Internet Marketing
  13. Give me Backlinks

No Webby, I think that IS a penalty. Because the PR dropped from 6 to 0, first of the subpages and then of the homepage. And yes, that was excessive linking, not intentional though; we just had domain names as link text. The links existed for the last 6-7 years and so thought that they'd be a problem.
  15. Savior of the Whales

hi maneesh ... we solved our crosslinking problem with ONE WAY LINKS .... so it is not "cross" anymore .... we also just had the domain names ... not agressive ancor text ... but g did not like it since they were on the same c block ... ours were there befor google even started their freakin search engine .... but now they are not good ... kinda like fashion ....

it was mentioned this site crosslinks ... and seem to not have a problem ... so maybe it is the number of sites .... we have more than they do here ....

did you have more than 7 or 8 like they have here ??
    *** Search Engine News, Jesus helps JOE BOB SEO save the whales. ***
  17. Savior of the Whales

ps ... hi webby .... i was hoping to get your assessment of the paper i referenced in the post i made a page earlier .... that seems to say that abosolute like volume is not a factor in authority .... just how many "expert" back links .... so link volume is not an issue .... just how do you figure out who is an expert to maximize those??
  19. Give me Backlinks

it was mentioned this site crosslinks ...
    joebob, I guess you are referring to devshed network. Yes, it's amazing that they cross-link and never had a problem. May be that has to do with ratio of links. They have a number of one-way incoming links, which seems to be of great help.

As of my sites, we have 6 websites (main domains), and one of them also has around 10 sub-domains, PR5, doing great in serps. A travel-related site with no sub-domains was the one that was banned. Noticeably, it had almost all the incoming links from other 5 websites from all sub-pages. Also, all the outgoing ones pointed to those 5 domains only.

I don't know what's C block (hope you'll tell me), but the sites are hosted on the two different IPs.
  21. Savior of the Whales

55.123.cc.102 .... in the ip address, the third set of # is the c block ....

i have seen different results ... with crosslinking penalties ... high ratio for sure kills you ... in some cases with LOW ratio i still got them whacked ... so i dont have a cook book forit ... maybe in seo and tech things (not cash register type sites) ... they dont worry about crosslinking as much .... probably diffeent rules for different segaments ... travel is so full of spam it is probably real strict rules ...
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I would say to avoid a high % coming from the same class C
    /BP
Page 4 of 4 First ... 234
  • Jump to page: