1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Need suggestion - same website on two domains

We have a company domain say, xyzindia.com.
    'xyz' being our brand name. We are using this as our company website for quiet a long time as we were unable to get the core domain(xyz.com). But now we have acquired our core domain as well so we have copied the same website on xyz.com domain. We are planning to push this core domain in all our marketing activities.

Now my question how good is this move on SEO/Google point of view. We have kept same website on xyzIndia.com and xyz.com

Thanks in advance

- Roma
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by roma123
    We have a company domain say, xyzindia.com.
    'xyz' being our brand name. We are using this as our company website for quiet a long time as we were unable to get the core domain(xyz.com). But now we have acquired our core domain as well so we have copied the same website on xyz.com domain. We are planning to push this core domain in all our marketing activities.

Now my question how good is this move on SEO/Google point of view. We have kept same website on xyzIndia.com and xyz.com

Thanks in advance

- Roma
    You should 301 redirect the old pages to the new pages
  5. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

To add to KP's reply, not only should you 301 the only site, but you should also tell google of a change in address from your webmaster tools.

For the 301 redirects you want to make sure you redirect each specific page to its respected new page on the new domain. For example you would 301:

xyzindia.com/about to xyz.com/about
    xyzindia.com/category-1 to xyz.com/category-1
    xyzindia.com/product-1 to xyz.com/product-1
    xyzindia.com/product-2 to xyz.com/product-2

And so on.

Depending on how you can do the redirects (.htaccess or other) you should be able to cut down the number of redirects you need write if your keeping the same url structure and same urls for each page.

For example see http://www.askapache.com/htaccess/30..._RedirectMatch I can help with htaccess code if you need a hand?

*EDIT*
    On second thoughts, here's a line of code which should do the trick in your htaccess file:
    Code:
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://newdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]
    It's quicker to just post something like that now rather then let you try to work out what you need lol

And ofc you can also add other important redirect code like the ones at .htaccess canonical 301 redirects along with that line of code.

Again if you need a hand give me a shout and I will be happy to help

Comments on this post

• ozzyr agrees
    Last edited by NathanielB; Aug 2nd, 2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: redirect code plus more details
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

So by doing this 301 redirect, my earlier domain xyzIndia.com wont be available at all? and will it be fine if i directly enter xyz.com, will this new domain get all my SEO benefits of earlier website? My earlier website xyzIndia.com has pagerank 3, will it get pass it over to xyz.com

Thanks
    Roma