1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Need some help. Does Keyword Density count for single words and sitemaps?

Hi,

I have a site that has roughly 2,000 pages and each focuses on one keyword phrase. Now the whole keyword phrase itself has a pretty good keyword density of around 3%. But I noticed that when I check for the density of individual keywords, the words themselves that make up my keyword phrases each have a very high density ranging from 12% - 19%. Much higher than my target phrase. It's like this for almost all of my pages.

I also noticed that some of my sitemaps also have a pretty high density. Around 35%.

Like the question stated in the title, do the keyword densities of single words and sitemaps matter?

I don't exactly want to get banned...
    Last edited by zeodicap; Jun 12th, 2006 at 07:55 PM.
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by zeodicap
    Hi,

I have a site that has roughly 2,000 pages and each focuses on one keyword phrase. Now the whole keyword phrase itself has a pretty good keyword density of around 3%. But I noticed that when I check for the density of individual keywords, the words themselves that make up my keyword phrases each have a very high density ranging from 12% - 19%. Much higher than my target phrase. It's like this for almost all of my pages.

I also noticed that some of my sitemaps also have a pretty high density. Around 35%.

Like the question stated in the title, do the keyword densities of single words and sitemaps matter?

I don't exactly want to get banned...
    Never have a problem.

Keyword density is alot like running a marathon. You can sprint out of the gate and crawl to the finish, or pace yourself to the finish... but the distance never changes...

in other words - as long as you are not taking shortcuts [sneeky tricks] you'll be fine.
    Last edited by fathom; Jun 12th, 2006 at 08:19 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Ok errrr....

So let's say I'm not doing any sneaky tricks. And I'm not.

There wouldn't be any problems with me ranking for that 3% keyword phrase, even though my page has like 19% keyword density for each of the individual words that make up that phrase right? And it won't result in a penalty of any kind?

Sorry for asking again but I want to be assured about this. It seems like alot of people like to reinforce the "too high keyword density" scare.

Edit: btw, if anybody else wants to chime in feel free to.
  7. rod@missionop.com

0% to 100% and everything in between -- NO PROBLEM!
  9. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by zeodicap
    There wouldn't be any problems with me ranking for that 3% keyword phrase, even though my page has like 19% keyword density for each of the individual words that make up that phrase right? And it won't result in a penalty of any kind?

Sorry for asking again but I want to be assured about this. It seems like alot of people like to reinforce the "too high keyword density" scare.
    Fathom's right (as usual) it shouldn't be a problem... I see a lot of talk about KW densities and their effect on serps but - in fact - if you check google serps results & run KW density checks on top ranking sites you'll see densities from 0 to 26% with no apparent detrimental effect.
    More important is how the KW's are positioned within the page rather than the %'age... eg: Stuffed into loads of KW rich phrases at the foot of the page is likely to get a penalty - whatever the density, whereas scattered throughout the content is unlikely to get a penalty - whatever the density!
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  11. No Profile Picture

Alright thanks Fathom and ClickB!