1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Need some good advice on what to do.

I come here alot and don't really ask too much advice. Mostly I just ask questions and leave my unwanted opinion where it is most needed. Now, I really need some good advice.

Here is the situation. I have a template site that I've dinked around with and changed here and there so it isn't exactly as I got it. I changed the name of the images and added alt tags. The Alt tags are not stuffed with keywords. For instance the alt tags for the link back to the home page simply says "back to home" so it isn't spammy. Now, I have taken this 70 page template site and turned it into a 4,000 page site (about a year ago) by making each page into a keyword page. for example for phentermine.html I've also added buy-phentermine.html and order-phentermine.html etc. The H1 heading has the exact same words as the title and the same as the url. So, you can see that it is optimized for the keyword. However, all the content is the same across all the pages. So, I have 200+ phentermine pages with the same text on how to take it, when to call your doctor, etc. Of course the content for Adipex is different than for phentermine. You get what I'm saying.

Here is what I'm thinking of doing. I want to take the site back to the original 70 pages, rewrite the content so it is original and forget about having the extra keyword specific pages.

My reasoning: I am, I believe, being penalized for the duplicate content. It would take half a life time for me to write 4,000 pages of original content so that is why I want to take it back to the original 70 and just promote those pages.

Anybody agree, disagree. I look forward to your advice.
  3. aka: jadibones

Here is what I would do.
    Since you are going to create new content.
    Find and buy a new domain name - Get a new host on a different IP (get your own IP if you can about $20 a month, maybe less)
    - Build a new site.

Why take chances with the old one. From what you described, it sounds like its definitely been penalized.
  5. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Agree. Fewer strong pages work better than too many pages that suck.
    14th Colony: The hardest working websites online!

Looking for links? Join the Union and don't miss English Grammar rules, tips and explanations
  7. Go OSU Beavers!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I agree with the above. Start again with some strongly SEOized pages and focus on tight keyword optimization.
    - Scott Fish, Director of SEO | SEO Blog | Tweet | Linkedin
    Doing SEO for Fortune 500 companies for the last 8 years.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Definetly fewer pages are better than a lot of penalized ones.

And yes, I suggest you too start a new domain, with new host & IP for this.
  11. Contributing User

I believe, being penalized for the duplicate content.
    Why do you think you are being penalized? Is it just because of your ranking or has your site been removed from the index?

The type of penalty would help in determinig what the next course of action should be RE: a new domain.

In my opinion fewer, and tighter pages can get better rankings than hundreds of duplicated pages.
  13. Contributing User

Originally Posted by rtchar
    Why do you think you are being penalized? Is it just because of your ranking or has your site been removed from the index?

The type of penalty would help in determinig what the next course of action should be RE: a new domain.

In my opinion fewer, and tighter pages can get better rankings than hundreds of duplicated pages.
    I believe it is a penalty because 50% of my traffic used to come from google. So far this month... I have no traffic from google. I still hold my PR4 and the site is listed, I have just dropped out of the SERPs. My digitalpoint keyword tracker is all red and full of zeros. I got about 8,000 hits last month from the googlebot, so far this month only 14 hits. Yahoo also dropped me about a month ago. Forgot to mention that.

Personally, I think I'm okay if I just go ahead and get rid of all the extra pages and write new content.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

"...Personally, I think I'm okay if I just go ahead and get rid of all the extra pages and write new content.
    Reply With Quote..."

Well if thats your opinion then your entitled to it. Not to sound too harsh but your site got what it had coming to it and that domain name is basically dead. Everything to do with with Pharmaceutical sales is being reviewed/scrutinized&filtered on every s.e., look into link exchanges and youll see there is a reason few will allow drug/pharma sites.

You basically broke the first rule of web publishing -> Write content and pages for people NOT spiders.

It doesnt take long for the penalties to find their way to you and once you incur them your easiest way out is to register a new name and play the same game again until you get caught. If on the otherhand you want to correct the problems you have and do it by the book then...Rewrite the site with good, strong, unique content that human beings can find useful. Submit the site to Google for reinclusion explaining what changes you made and corrections in practice you now follow. Be prepared to be sandboxed for 6 months...nd then fight your way back up the serps.

My guess is that you arent willing to do that as it may be quite while before you generate revenue's again. But if you keep doing SEO tthe way youve been doing be prepared to do this annually at the very least....
  17. Contributing User

Update for those who care:

When I started this thread I had zero referrals from Google. Last month, google was 55% of all Search Engine referrals. So, you can see I went from good to bad.

I started my super-secret SEO techniques at the end of this thread. 3 days ago google was 7.5% of all Search Engine referrals. Today... Google is 33% of all my referrals. I didn't contact google and ask for re-inclusion as one suggested. I just went back to basics. I wrote content for the spiders. I could care less what people want.

Apparently it is not impossible to rebound from a google whacking.
  19. Contributing User

QUOTING: "I wrote content for the spiders. I could care less what people want."

Should I undesrtand from these "cloaking".
    If yes, sorry to say, you'll probably prepared for an upgrade from "penality" to "ban".

Anyway good luck with your domain whatever you'll do...
  21. visiting Margaritaville

Originally Posted by totalit#051
    I didnt get cloaking from anything he said.

Cloaking means showing spiders one thing and surfers another. That does not seem to be what he said. He just said he wrote content for the spiders not for people. Meaning how they are read.
  23. Contributing User

Originally Posted by totalit#051
    QUOTING: "I wrote content for the spiders. I could care less what people want."

If yes, sorry to say, you'll probably prepared for an upgrade from "penality" to "ban".

Anyway good luck with your domain whatever you'll do...
    No.

William is right. I wrote the content with spiders in mind. You know, with keywords in it, an outbound link here and there. The usual. Nothing fancy.

The site is clean and always has been.