1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Need some advice/help on improving my company's Google ranking

I own a small, NYC-based shopping tour company. For the past few months I've been working very hard to get my website noticed by Google, and I'm frustrated that I cannot seem to rank higher than the 7th page of results. I come up first when searching for my company by name, but when typing in any important keywords, such as "new york shopping tours," I'm low on the totem pole. The only people who will search for me by name are existing customers--getting ranked by keyword is crucial in order to bring in new business!

I'm not a web designer by any means, but I've done lots of reading about SEO, and have followed every piece of advice regarding tags, keywords, backlinks, site content, blogging, etc. I am really not sure what else to do. (Also, I don't know if there is a way to get Google analytics to "recognize" backlinks--it tells me I have 39, when I can personally count far, far more than that...)

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to include a link to my site in this forum, but there is one in my profile. I would love input from anyone who might be able to offer suggestions on things I can do to improve my visibility in Google.

Thank you!
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by rdnyc19
    I own a small, NYC-based shopping tour company. For the past few months I've been working very hard to get my website noticed by Google, and I'm frustrated that I cannot seem to rank higher than the 7th page of results. I come up first when searching for my company by name, but when typing in any important keywords, such as "new york shopping tours," I'm low on the totem pole. The only people who will search for me by name are existing customers--getting ranked by keyword is crucial in order to bring in new business!

I'm not a web designer by any means, but I've done lots of reading about SEO, and have followed every piece of advice regarding tags, keywords, backlinks, site content, blogging, etc. I am really not sure what else to do. (Also, I don't know if there is a way to get Google analytics to "recognize" backlinks--it tells me I have 39, when I can personally count far, far more than that...)

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to include a link to my site in this forum, but there is one in my profile. I would love input from anyone who might be able to offer suggestions on things I can do to improve my visibility in Google.

Thank you!
    Without knowing your business or website I can ASSUME the following:

The website might not be optimized properly, Title tags, description tags, internal linking, any errors, compression, etc.

Your site needs better links, not only better links, but better links with keywords as anchor text.

I would read the stickies in the link building forum for a quick jump start on what's needed to succeed in the SERPs.

Edit: I viewed your site. My assumptions are now facts.
    Last edited by joshz; Mar 12th, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
    www.joshz.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email josh@joshz.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  5. No Profile Picture

Can you please clarify "keywords as anchor text?" I assumed that meant using the keyword (in this case, new york shopping tours) as a clickable link. I have included this term as a clickable link 50+ times on my site.

I have done detailed title, keyword, and subject tags for EVERY page of my site. Google webmaster tools and Attracta only found one error/broken link, which I have since corrected.

How much would it cost to have someone review my site and suggest the necessary changes? I'm a small business so I can't spend thousands of dollars, but I would be willing to invest some money in having this done, if it means getting my ranking up to page one or two.
    Last edited by rdnyc19; Mar 12th, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
  7. SEO Consultant

Can you please clarify "keywords as anchor text?" I assumed that meant using the keyword (in this case, new york shopping tours) as a clickable link. I have included this term as a clickable link 50+ times on my site.

I have done detailed title, keyword, and subject tags for EVERY page of my site. Google webmaster tools and Attracta only found one error/broken link, which I have since corrected.

How much would it cost to have someone review my site and suggest the necessary changes? I'm a small business so I can't spend thousands of dollars, but I would be willing to invest some money in having this done, if it means getting my ranking up to page one or two.
    No, you don't understand. External links, not internal links....

Your title tags could be worked on with more details and keywords.

I can't speak numbers publicly, if you'd like a review there are many members on the forum, including myself who would love to chat with you. You can PM them or view them by going to the members section, then sort by Reputation.
  9. No Profile Picture
    -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by joshz
    You can PM them or view them by going to the members section, then sort by Reputation.
    Don't you need 10 posts to be able to private message though.

Just to clarify what Josh said click on "members" top rightish, and then "reputation" which will bring up all the top reputation members

Then check profiles to see if they have websites or contact details and are offering an SEO service.

Could I also suggest you update your sites content a little bit also while you're at it? just to sell yourselves better when you do get found..

I think some more pictures of new york itself (I know you have more in deeper pages) on landing pages would make you seem a lot more appealing.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  11. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

The website was built with minimal effort. The SEO is pretty much non-existent. You want ranks you gotta earn them.
  13. No Profile Picture

Hi rdnyc19, in order to get better rankings in SERPS it's important to have the website useful for the visitor (rule: create the website for the visitor, not for the search engine[s]). Write quality articles, use unique descriptions and unique content everywhere, use tags (don't exaggerate with them though), optimize your images, check the page load speed (it's very important nowadays for Google's algorithms). Good luck!
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Here's a valuable tip for you: Pick a few popular sites that have PR's of at least 3. Make sure you test if they're coming up on Google first for their main keywords. Then study their pages. Really study them. You can learn quite a bit by just emulating, and it will save you some time and money.

Good luck!
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

For the keywords like New York shopping tours, which page you are targeting?
    I can see three pages:
    http://bit.ly/A3XQWG
    http://bit.ly/ynD4bj
    and the one Google is ranking on 6 or 7 page:
    http://bit.ly/wqQq2w

My suggestion is to try to focus on keyword to a single related page only. Most probably the http://bit.ly/ynD4bj as this landing page will provide the users with all the tours you provide.

I am also seeing right column Our Company section being repeated in all the pages and is having similar content. This will create internal duplicate content issue. My suggestion is to create a new page dedicated to Our Company and use that section for adding page specific content for all pages.

Also, your domain is registered last year only, so don't panic and do what the Masters have said above i.e. build quality links with keywords as anchor text, optimize your site and try to implement my suggestion. You will surely get the results in 2-3 months.

There is also duplicate issue with your blog site. It has about 169 words i.e. 10% similar content as that of your Parent Site:
    http://bit.ly/ymjMfJ. My suggestion is to remove the duplicate content from blog also. If you have time and resource possibly integrate a blog within your site and have a separate one also. Else, use the blog within the site only. Do post regularly and update your blog.

As, rishi321us has said focus on H1 tag. You have the same H1 tag repeated in all pages. Change your H1, H2 tag as per your pages' content.
    e) Preferably use H1 for headers with proper keywords in them ( this is arguable as many people think it might not be very helpful, but for sure its not gonna harm, so why not ?)
    Last edited by Singhvineet; Mar 13th, 2012 at 03:46 AM.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

took a look at your site and completely agree with what has been said so far. If you want ranks you will have to earn it my friend.. here are few things that you can consider doing...

a) Improve the design - look and feel of your site : no, this is not going to help SEO, but will help your customers have more confidence on you and boost conversion

b) create a thoroughly planned content map : - you do have most of the necessary pages, but if you are getting into SEO, it might be worth doing a keyword research to find all the possible and potential keywords. Once you have this list try to group them, find the logical relation between them and create the entire map for your flow of content as well as what would be the different pages and which page should target which keyword. Do not target more than 2-3 keywords at the most on any one page

c) Your Page title/ description etc needs a lot of reworking. probably once you narrow down the list of keywords/page it will be easier to retain the focus

d) Optimize your body content with targeted keywords ( I DO NOT mean keyword stuffing)

e) Preferably use H1 for headers with proper keywords in them ( this is arguable as many people think it might not be very helpful, but for sure its not gonna harm, so why not ?)

f) Blog - You mentioned about blog in your original post but I don't see one on your site. Definitely set up a blog and update regularly with new useful content. In the current scenario, nothing beats fresh original content. This would really work if done right.

g) Build Links - links from good quality websites, preferably with anchor text.Make sure if you have optimized PageA for keywordA - the links with Anchor Text KeywordA, should point to PageA, not to your home page. Use variations of your anchor text, do not over use the same anchor text.

h) Last but not the least - watch your analytics and GWT data regularly to find potential opportunities

hope it helps

** I did not mention about internal navigation structure because your existing internal navigation looks ok and hopefully you can take care of that. It is another critical factor for any SEO success.
    Last edited by rishi321us; Mar 13th, 2012 at 03:16 AM.
  21. In the game since Jan '06
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Thank you!
    Have you researched your competition? Doing this will give you a rough guide as to approximately how stiff the comp is and what you must do to conquer all before you...

It's always a good idea to search your keywords and then write down some info about your comp; focusing on separating into the following two points:

- Their basic on-site optimisation: their TITLE tag structure, internal linking structure, etc.

- Their off-page strategies: are they link directory based? Reciprocal? Approx how many external inbound links do they have? Is there any scope for you to acquire the same links? Are the vast majority of their links relevant and authoratitive within your industry?

There are a huge number of tools on the web, especially for off-page data. Majestic SEO is my personal fave tool for this (and free to a point!)
    "In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life." - George Best
  23. No Profile Picture

Thanks guys. I have actually decided to hire a friend's husband to deal with the SEO for me.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thumbs up Learn the basics so you at least understand

Thanks guys. I have actually decided to hire a friend's husband to deal with the SEO for me.
    I have seen bad experiences (money thrown away) because of business owners hiring friends of friends, of friends... who sort of do this on the side. I would just say to read everything the guys mentioned on this thread, get your hands dirty a bit, and then interview the SEO expert you are about to hire to make sure they know what they are doing... not only that, but as how they stay abreast of their trade etc as things in the SEO are constantly changing. Best of luck with your site.
  27. SEO Consultant

Originally Posted by ileansolutions
    I have seen bad experiences (money thrown away) because of business owners hiring friends of friends, of friends... who sort of do this on the side. I would just say to read everything the guys mentioned on this thread, get your hands dirty a bit, and then interview the SEO expert you are about to hire to make sure they know what they are doing... not only that, but as how they stay abreast of their trade etc as things in the SEO are constantly changing. Best of luck with your site.
    Well, let's all just knock on wood and hope for the best.

To the OP, best of luck with your SEO efforts, the forums are always open for you.

If you change your mind, please revisit us and let us know how we can help.

Going to close this thread before the spammers and self promoters attack.