1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Need help understanding major drop in SERP

First, let me say that I like this site. The tools on the homepage are very valuable.

I was hoping someone could be another "set of eyes" for me and find out why my site has taken a nosedive... bad nosedive.

Since March of 2006, my site has been listed in the 100's as far as search results for a specific keyword phrase. Before March, my site was #1 since 1999 for that same phrase. For 6 years it sat in the #1 spot and then overnight went to 141 and hasn't recovered. I have followed the Google guidelines but they do not seem to help. The site is approximately 80% UNIQUE and exclusive content not found anywhere else on the net. (if you look at the site you will see what I mean). Now my site is listed below classified ad sites and even below my sites listing in the advertising service I use.

Across the other search engines, Yahoo, MSN, Ask, etc, my site still ranks #1 for the phrase. There appears to be something there that Google doesn't like but I need help in finding it.

Any help would be appreciated.

The site information is listed below. If I am not allowed to post a URL, please forgive me and edit as appropriate.

URL: www.mustangii.net
    keyword phrase: mustang ii

site online (and rank #1 on Google) from August 1999 - February 2006. Current ranking for phrase: 141
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

get some inbound link from High PR sites with anchor Text of your asking key-phrase
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

You are ranking #1 for "allinanchor:mustang ii" but #141 for "mustang ii". That would be typical for a sandboxed site.

The sandbox normally affects new sites, not sites that have been around since 1999. However a " site:mustangii.net" search offers a clue as it lists both www.mustangii.net/ and mustangii.net//. My feeling is that because of this mix-up of canonical URL Google is treating this as a new site.

Normally the advice here would be to 301 redirect the non-www to the www, but as you have subdomains such as fredy.mustangii.net that's all a bit more complicated. Can anyone suggest the best course of action?
    Sussex Barn Dance
    The Hokey Cokey - is that really what it's all about?