Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
    #1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Need Help Improving my ranking


    I am a travel agent and i own few website. I have tried many SEO people in My country none of then are able to get the website on top ranking. the website reached to highest 55th rank by the key phrase "travel rajasthan". But it is not helping my business.

    I have done mu home work on the website and i will be using these meta tags
    <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="Rajasthan's Invitation - Information about Rajasthan tour and Travel Packages"/">
    <META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="rajasthan, rajasthan india, golden triangle, golden triangle india, golden triangle with rajasthan, rajasthan wildlife tour, rajasthan tour, rajasthan travel, rajasthan travel packages, rajasthan tour packages, rajasthan tour operator"/">
    <META NAME="Author-corporate" CONTENT="rajasthansinvitation.com">
    <META NAME="publisher" CONTENT=" rajasthansinvitation.com">
    <META NAME="publisher-Email" CONTENT="info@rajasthansinvitation.com">
    <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;">
    <META NAME="revisit-after" CONTENT="07 days">
    <META NAME="robot" content="noarchive">
    <META NAME="abstract" CONTENT="Rajasthan's Invitation - A Travel guide to Rajasthan">
    <META http-equiv="pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
    <META NAME="GOOGLEBOT" CONTENT="NOARCHIVE">
    <META NAME="VIEWER-GOOGLE" CONTENT="NODISPLAY">
    <META NAME="rating" CONTENT="general">
    <META NAME="classification" CONTENT="Travel Information about Rajasthan">
    <META NAME="Content-Language" CONTENT="en-US">
    <META NAME="MSSmarttagspreventparsing" CONTENT="TRUE">
    <META NAME="Coverage" CONTENT="Worldwide">
    <link REV="made" HREF="info@rajasthansinvitation.com">
    <link REV="replyto" HREF="info@rajasthansinvitation.com">
    <META name="Document-rating" CONTENT="safe for Kids">
    <META name="document-distribution" CONTENT="Global">


    Please let me know if i need to add some thing or its fine.

    Best regards

    Abhi
  2. #2
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    286
    Rep Power
    18
    Hi Abhi,

    That all looks very fine to me while using no meta data or just a description (maybe keywords if you really want) will do the job.

    That all looks similar to something from the Dublin Core (haven't looked at it for ages), I've experimented with and without and have noticed no difference at all.

    Regards,
    Mark.
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    159
    Rep Power
    19
    Hi Abhi,

    Let me explain you something quickly about SEO. There are 2 factors in SEO:

    1) On page optimization (like what you are showing us). It is used to tell the search engines what your site is about and in which category it should be indexed. It seems that this job has been done right through what you are saying since you are listed.

    2) Off page optimization (what you are not telling us). It is used by the search engines to define where you should rank in the result pages. Obviously, this is where you seems to have a problem, since you are listed but with a poor ranking.

    Especially considering the low competition for "travel rajasthan":

    Results 1 - 10 of about 786,000 for travel rajasthan.

    You should manage a good ranking fairly quickly with a bit of off-page optimization.

    Good luck Abhi!

    Nicolas Prudhon
  6. #4
  7. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Posts
    9,697
    Rep Power
    2402
    Abhi... Bluntly stated... You can delete ALL of your META tags. All you need in your Title.

    I would then focus on getting relevant backlinks. Your competitor is actually weak... but you are weaker than them in the area of backlinks. As stated, focus on getting relevant backlinks to your landing page(s).
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

    ...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    13
    Originally Posted by indiasinvitatio
    I am a travel agent and i own few website. I have tried many SEO people in My country none of then are able to get the website on top ranking. the website reached to highest 55th rank by the key phrase "travel rajasthan". But it is not helping my business.

    I have done mu home work on the website and i will be using these meta tags
    <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="Rajasthan's Invitation - Information about Rajasthan tour and Travel Packages"/">
    <META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="rajasthan, rajasthan india, golden triangle, golden triangle india, golden triangle with rajasthan, rajasthan wildlife tour, rajasthan tour, rajasthan travel, rajasthan travel packages, rajasthan tour packages, rajasthan tour operator"/">
    <META NAME="Author-corporate" CONTENT="rajasthansinvitation.com">
    <META NAME="publisher" CONTENT=" rajasthansinvitation.com">
    <META NAME="publisher-Email" CONTENT="info@rajasthansinvitation.com">
    <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;">
    <META NAME="revisit-after" CONTENT="07 days">
    <META NAME="robot" content="noarchive">
    <META NAME="abstract" CONTENT="Rajasthan's Invitation - A Travel guide to Rajasthan">
    <META http-equiv="pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
    <META NAME="GOOGLEBOT" CONTENT="NOARCHIVE">
    <META NAME="VIEWER-GOOGLE" CONTENT="NODISPLAY">
    <META NAME="rating" CONTENT="general">
    <META NAME="classification" CONTENT="Travel Information about Rajasthan">
    <META NAME="Content-Language" CONTENT="en-US">
    <META NAME="MSSmarttagspreventparsing" CONTENT="TRUE">
    <META NAME="Coverage" CONTENT="Worldwide">
    <link REV="made" HREF="info@rajasthansinvitation.com">
    <link REV="replyto" HREF="info@rajasthansinvitation.com">
    <META name="Document-rating" CONTENT="safe for Kids">
    <META name="document-distribution" CONTENT="Global">


    Please let me know if i need to add some thing or its fine.

    Best regards

    Abhi
    All you need is the following:

    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <title>YOUR TITLE HERE</title>
    <meta name="Description" content="Rajasthan's Invitation - Information about Rajasthan tour and Travel Packages" />
    <meta name="Keywords" content="rajasthan, rajasthan india, golden triangle, golden triangle india, golden triangle with rajasthan, rajasthan wildlife tour, rajasthan tour, rajasthan travel, rajasthan travel packages, rajasthan tour packages, rajasthan tour operator" />
    </head>

    You really only need a description and title tag but I do like to use keywords tag myself. All those other tags are just useless to you and do not help seo-wise.
  10. #6
  11. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Posts
    9,697
    Rep Power
    2402
    Greens44... You do not need the Description... Google will take a relevant snippet to the search term. Also, except for personal use, the keyword META is useless. That brings us to the Title Tag only (not META). You need a good keyword rich Title Tag... all METAs are basically a waste of time.
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    13
    Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    Greens44... You do not need the Description... Google will take a relevant snippet to the search term. Also, except for personal use, the keyword META is useless. That brings us to the Title Tag only (not META). You need a good keyword rich Title Tag... all METAs are basically a waste of time.
    Yes this is true but you have more control over what the description tag says.. than again Google likes to make its own description at times anyways. So yea using those tags are at your sole preference rather than to improve seo.
  14. #8
  15. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
    Posts
    16,979
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by Greens44
    Yes this is true but you have more control over what the description tag says.. than again Google likes to make its own description at times anyways. So yea using those tags are at your sole preference rather than to improve seo.
    hmmm...

    how about this:

    Originally Posted by fathom
    Whether you think I'm trolling or not is of no importance... You're not here asking for advice "you're offering it"... Your casual "non-SEO abilities" [as suggested now is an important factor] is hidden behind the assumption everyone must make "he's offering advice... he must be an expert in the field"...

    So if correcting your flawed position is trolling and entertaining for you... well that's better than noobies walking away thinking you have an expert opinion because you can typed the name "Matt Cutts"... and use that as support... doing your own homework is better support. [BTW... Matt Cutts REMOVED his Meta Descriptions from his Wordpress blog which are included by default].

    People "suggest" they use Meta Description so they can better control what search engines show as a description for a page and because of this their listing appeal is better thus more searchers will click to their website... thereby increasing their CTR.

    Unfortunately, they "assume" this to be the case because they target their Meta Descriptions for their chosen phrases [their most competitive phrases or their preferred phrases]... and these "phrase listings" look perfect.

    Unfortunately, this in most instances is a grave error... here's a "real professional" do the same "wrong thing".

    Example: SEOINC.com is a prominent SEO firm - there mainpage has a Meta Description:

    <meta name="description" content="Search Engine Optimization Inc. - the worldwide leader offering customized SEO and PPC solutions for the past decade. Call 877-736-0006" />

    A simulation of a longtail query for their website [A RANDOM EXAMPLE] might be certified seo firm case study ...and Google shows



    "IF" we believe that appealing listings are a must for clicks then this SEO firm has a false sense of security in believing their "Meta Description protects them and generates a higher performance of CTR".

    ...I merely grabbed 5 words off the mainpage that were not included in the Meta Description...

    what if we try "partial matches" some in the page content and others in the Meta Description like:

    SEO Solutions Course California

    ...and you get this:



    ...I don't know about anyone else... but this doesn't seem all that attractive to me...

    While people can say "those don't matter those terms are used once in a blue moon"... and they are right... but for every "targeted phrase" you rank for you have thousands of untargeted phrases that are not in the Meta Description in whole or in part and that means "the likelihood of really poor quality descriptions"... you thought you got rid of because you used a Meta Description.

    That's REAL HARM... being totally oblivious to lost potential customers due to professional complacency.

    Lastly, this is the 3rd Meta Description thread you participated in; trying to offer "advance Meta Description" advice... clearly your rebuttal "about trolls" is the only rebuttal left.
    Original post with quotes: http://forums.seochat.com/showpost.php?p=648118&postcount=71
    Last edited by fathom; Mar 8th, 2009 at 08:59 PM.
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    13
    Originally Posted by Greens44
    Yes this is true but you have more control over what the description tag says.. than again Google likes to make its own description at times anyways. So yea using those tags are at your sole preference rather than to improve seo.
    Your reply shouldn't have been targeted to me fathom.
  18. #10
  19. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
    Posts
    16,979
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by Greens44
    Your reply shouldn't have been targeted to me fathom.
    When adding Meta Description "you LOSE more control" than you gain
  20. #11
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    13
    Originally Posted by fathom
    When adding Meta Description "you LOSE more control" than you gain
    You should have just said that as a suggestion rather than a mean reply to me. Some people like to use a description while others do not. I never said I disagree when you say that you "gain" more control over the description not having one. I was simply saying that I like to tell Google what to have rather than them choose it for me. Sure you lose on some phrases however you gain on the ones you want.

    With a description tag or not it still works the same way as you are suggesting. Take a moment of your time and try this out:

    Have one page with a fixed description tag and make in the content a very very obscure phrase that you will be the only one with it.

    Have another page with different content and another obscure phrase and no description.


    Do a Google search on the phrases and even though one of the indexed pages have a fixed description it will STILL change the description to contain that phrase. I've already tested this to be true. So I wasn't incorrect when I said I like more control but again I say its all in personal preference.
  22. #12
  23. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
    Posts
    16,979
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by Greens44
    You should have just said that as a suggestion rather than a mean reply to me. Some people like to use a description while others do not. I never said I disagree when you say that you "gain" more control over the description not having one. I was simply saying that I like to tell Google what to have rather than them choose it for me. Sure you lose on some phrases however you gain on the ones you want.

    With a description tag or not it still works the same way as you are suggesting. Take a moment of your time and try this out:

    Have one page with a fixed description tag and make in the content a very very obscure phrase that you will be the only one with it.

    Have another page with different content and another obscure phrase and no description.


    Do a Google search on the phrases and even though one of the indexed pages have a fixed description it will STILL change the description to contain that phrase. I've already tested this to be true. So I wasn't incorrect when I said I like more control but again I say its all in personal preference.
    hmmm...

    It's a fact that you have a personal preference.

    "I like"... isn't great advice though... and as you pointed out "So yea using those tags (description included) are at your sole preference rather than to improve seo."
  24. #13
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    13
    Originally Posted by fathom
    hmmm...

    It's a fact that you have a personal preference.

    "I like"... isn't great advice though... and as you pointed out "So yea using those tags (description included) are at your sole preference rather than to improve seo."
    Well most of the websites (search engines) you monitor to check your links use the description tag. Checking the top 10 world-wide results on alexa also showed alot of description tag use. I mean I'm not saying use them or not but I'm going to use them as it has no effect search wise to hurt you.. if any.. one can say your wasting bandwidth but whats a couple of bytes?
  26. #14
  27. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens FL 33410
    Posts
    16,979
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by Greens44
    Well most of the websites (search engines) you monitor to check your links use the description tag. Checking the top 10 world-wide results on alexa also showed alot of description tag use. I mean I'm not saying use them or not but I'm going to use them as it has no effect search wise to hurt you.. if any.. one can say your wasting bandwidth but whats a couple of bytes?
    Listen up mate, "checking passive listings" isn't checking for "improvement".

    Every website and every webpage gets "targeted term listings" and "longtail term listings"... and for everything "targeted term" a page is ranked for you can have 10, 100, 1000 or so longtail term... making those "collective obscure phrases" more valuable than your targeted terms BECAUSE if you are losing "CLICKS" from unattractive listings as you suggest you would (without Meta Description) you are losing tons of traffic and happily oblivious to this.

    Meta Description obviously influences a few terms... not using Meta Descritpion influences "all terms"... and if you fix any site design issues you are likely getting more clicks... but obviously if you have design flaws and you are happy to no fix these... you don't get those clicks that you claim you want.

    So doing your passive searches and review listing tests - are wasted efforts... you ain't testing what you claim you're testing ... how did you determine those sites got more (or less) clicks? e.g. SEO Improvement?
  28. #15
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    13
    Originally Posted by fathom
    Listen up mate, "checking passive listings" isn't checking for "improvement".

    Every website and every webpage gets "targeted term listings" and "longtail term listings"... and for everything "targeted term" a page is ranked for you can have 10, 100, 1000 or so longtail term... making those "collective obscure phrases" more valuable than your targeted terms BECAUSE if you are losing "CLICKS" from unattractive listings as you suggest you would (without Meta Description) you are losing tons of traffic and happily oblivious to this.

    Meta Description obviously influences a few terms... not using Meta Descritpion influences "all terms"... and if you fix any site design issues you are likely getting more clicks... but obviously if you have design flaws and you are happy to no fix these... you don't get those clicks that you claim you want.

    So doing your passive searches and review listing tests - are wasted efforts... you ain't testing what you claim you're testing ... how did you determine those sites got more (or less) clicks? e.g. SEO Improvement?
    It may seem I'm arguing this case with you which I am not. I'm always open for improvements thats why I'm here on this forum.. so could you please explain how YOU got/get more clicks via Google with no description. Thats all I would like to know and thanks for explaining.
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:

Similar Threads

  1. Can keyword randomizing just short of stuffing work?
    By charlierobot in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Feb 8th, 2006, 07:03 AM
  2. The secrets of google search engine ranking
    By mddv in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Nov 2nd, 2005, 02:26 PM
  3. Reality & Truth - Competative Keywords -v- Real Life Searches
    By -search-engines-web in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Dec 27th, 2003, 05:25 PM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo