Thread: Navigation Menu

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Navigation Menu

I thought I was almost done with my redesign/optimization but in reading the forums I came across a post talking about Image based navigation menus saying that they should be text based and something about using CSS to float them.
    I don't quite understand that.

Also I should not have the menu on the left side of the page because search engines count the first few phrases appearing on the page and they would only see the menu and not the text. Is this correct?

Where is the best place for the navigation menu? And how much of the text is read? Should I have my main KWs in the first sentence or first paragraph.

Thanks for any suggestions.
  3. Cyber Geek

Text links, on the right side of your site.

Text links allow google to go to them (they cant go to flash, image map, or javascript links).

Google reads the left side of your site first (at the top), so you should try to get your keywords for that page at the top left. Your site links are less relevant to the page content, and would only dilute your keywords that are at the top of the site (in a text sense)
  5. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Both versions have advantages and disadvantages.

Image links can allow text in image to be visitor friendly (e.g. "home" is synonymous for homepage but in most website "a home text link" is unrelated to your topics) thus a image link using alt="" can aid to define the home button as your most prominent keyphrase.

Image links tend to be weighted less (and less relevance) than text links since "abuse of" is more apparent.

Text links are more weight and more relevance since the phrase is the anchor... the problem though if you focus solely on SEO value (e.g. ordered rank value) your website can quickly because a meaningless "eyesore" leaving patrons ensure what link path to take (thus leaving in favor of others websites that a more navigation friendly).

So the best course is a little of both:

1. text links where they are absolutely understood for navigation

2. image links where a synonymous word is better... e.g. home, FAQ, about, support, etc.

With CSS you can make text links appear identical to image for visual appeal.
  7. Super Moderator

If you're worried about placement/content order there are 2 easy ways to achieve a situation where your menu is on the left but spidered after your main content:

1. Use css & divs with absolute positioning (this way you can "div up" all of your content and place it exactly where you want - in the code & on the page).

2. Imaginitive use of tables... eg:

<table border=3 width=800>
    <tr>
    <td width=200>Logo-Image</td>
    <td width=600><h1>Site Title</h1></td>
    </tr><tr>
    <td></td>
    <td rowspan=2>Main Page Content<br>
    Main Page Content<br>
    Main Page Content<br>
    Main page Content<br>
    Main Page Content<br>
    Main Page Content</td>
    </tr><tr valign="top">
    <td>Menu links</td></tr></table>

Menu is on the left but after your main page content (ordinarily I wouldn't use a border, or - if I did I would use css to give a border to the table only - not the cells. I just put it in here so you can copy/paste this and see it easily).
    Last edited by ClickyB; Oct 31st, 2006 at 07:40 PM.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

As far as usability goes you pretty much need to have the navigation either on top or on the left. It's what your visitors expect and what has just come to be the standard design that everyone's used to. I don't see the location of the nav mattering that much for SEO purposes compared to the user experience.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for your input think I got my head around the menu placement. Could you guys weigh in on the second question

- how much of the text is read? Should I have my main KWs in the first sentence or first paragraph?-

Is this important?
  13. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Filmguy
    Thanks for your input think I got my head around the menu placement. Could you guys weigh in on the second question

- how much of the text is read? Should I have my main KWs in the first sentence or first paragraph?-

Is this important?
    It would be assumed that the keyword (or phrase) would be in the Title Element & in the Page Title... thus since these are at page top (well usually) that suffices the need...

Write for your patrons in the text body.
    Last edited by fathom; Nov 1st, 2006 at 02:48 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture

Filmguy,

Here is a link If you want to learn how to use css for placement or content order in your site:

w3schools.com/css/css_positioning.asp

Hope it helps

Coqui