1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Natural Links Don't Beat Paid Links?

Everyone talks about natural linking, link bait etc. I think our page is an example of natural not being able to beat unnatural.

1. I know my competitor personally and I know he has used dodgy blogs, directories etc to create his links with targeted anchor text. Has virtually no inbound links that are natural and from quality sources.
    2. Our page has numerous inbound links that are from the exact topic we are working with from within the industry, that were placed by these other websites with no input from us.
    3. Our page has so many links from discussions on forums, naturally placed on topic.

The issue I believe with genuine, natural links is the anchor text is not targeted. There is no reason for the user to use keywords from the topic. It's simply not natural. They will use things like "click here" or "more info" or our company name.

I'd rather not post the page on the forum, but if anyone has an interest they can PM and I'll supply it.

I find it frustrating that we are on the second page for this phrase to websites using these techniques which are supposed to not work.
  3. Contributing User

Don't forget links are only part of the story. OK I agree maybe the most important part but don't forget onsite SEO is also very important. I can understand your frustration but maybe he has also optimised his pages as well for the keyword so the match is better.

However paying for backlinks from someone who knows what they are doing will always outperform many user generated random low quality links. Watch any of Matt Cutts videos and he always bangs on about the quality of links, so just because you are squeaky clean and he is bending the rules does not mean you will rank higher.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The random forum links may be low quality but I've got plenty of high quality links as well from within the industry.

Widget suppliers linking to me on their widget page and I'm trying to rank for widgets and still doesn't rank.

It's insane that Google bangs on about this crap and I'm about to go out and buy some links to rank this page when it should rank by itself IMO.
  7. No Profile Picture

Well, Its Google, You can never know whats gonna happen next...
  9. No Profile Picture

Backlinks does count for your SERP rankings but what I personally noticed from the study that instead of putting hundreds of links on a few sites, it is better to spread less number of links on more number of sites. An avg. of about 2-3 links per site contributes alot for better searching of your links.
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Can anyone please give some tips to increase google traffic using offpage optimization?
  13. No Profile Picture

That's exactly why the SEO business is so profitable (although not every backlink provider knows what he/she's doing half the time).

But it's true what Chedders said, it all starts with good on-page optimization. If your on-page SEO isn't up to scratch, you can build great backlinks and it won't make too much of a difference if your competitors' on-page SEO is flawless.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Maybe on page SEO is the problem then.

The page is more geared to our actual product and brand and that is what everyone searches for to find our actual product.

This other search term that we are second page for is more a secondary term and a bit of a trophy term.

I just thought that considering its widget pages linking to us about widgets that we would perform better than we are with the widget term being placed in title tag and moderate mention in the content.

I also think the anchor text has something to do with it. My opinion is truly natural links have terrible anchor text. It's almost a contradiction that google gives it weight because optimized anchor text is so unnatural.
    Last edited by blake_jl; Dec 13th, 2012 at 03:03 AM.
  17. No Profile Picture
    The Dog Guy

There is a strong rumour out there that Google may be going away from anchor text as a major signal and moving more on social network signals.

I also have ALL original content and dont use automated machines to do linking, and am struggling, but whatchagonna do?
  19. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by bruce99
    There is a strong rumour out there that Google may be going away from anchor text as a major signal and moving more on social network signals.

I also have ALL original content and dont use automated machines to do linking, and am struggling, but whatchagonna do?
    That rumor is just you not having a great strategy so you made something up that sounds plausible because it certainly can't be your lack of insight... right?

All signals can be manipulated thus your rumor is complete BS!
  21. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by blake_jl
    I also think the anchor text has something to do with it. My opinion is truly natural links have terrible anchor text. It's almost a contradiction that google gives it weight because optimized anchor text is so unnatural.
    Sadly, you are on the right track here. No matter how many videos Matt creates saying we should only get "natural" links, exact-match anchor text still works wonders... That doesn't mean you need to do what your competitor is doing because that's is a too risky game but that doesn't mean it isn't working!
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Matt Cutts said, it is not about link building that "looks" natural but your links really have to be natural. If not, Google might not count it and even worse, it might be used against you.
  25. SEO Insultant

Originally Posted by cristinascabbia
    Matt Cutts said, it is not about link building that "looks" natural but your links really have to be natural. If not, Google might not count it and even worse, it might be used against you.
    If I were Matt C, I would say that as well
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

If you go for guest blogging in very quality blogs, then it can beat paid links too. Just remember, if your post gives value for readers, then it will give you maximum juice in terms of backlinking.

Frank
  29. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by cristinascabbia
    o what does that actually mean?

Just making a great website (what ever that means) and if you happen to get a link (or a few) those are natural and if they don't help in ordered ranks... that's ok to because Google might not see those natural links as overly meritorious and even worse of no value to better results.

But of course... that's better than to former... correct?
    Last edited by fathom; Dec 20th, 2012 at 05:26 PM.