Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I haven't looked at the site in question, but I have learnt from this forum and elsewhere that the links most favoured by Google are 'natural links'.

In everyday terms, this means links placed in the middle of an ordinary sentence using anchor text that makes sense.

So an example of a natural backlink would be something like:

The theory of relativity was devised by <a href="Relativity.site/about.abc">Albert Einstein</a> in the early part of the 20th Century.

This is the only type of backlink which can genuinely be called a natural backlink. As mentioned in other threads, this is the type of link which most often appears in weblog (blog) articles, and so it is often said that blog links have greater value.

An example of the next best type of link would be where the link is not contained in normal text but has good anchor text, e.g.

<a href="Relativity.site/about.abc">Albert Einstein</a>

Information on Albert Einstein, who devised the theory of relativity.

And lastly, the 'least beneficial' type of link, where the site name is also the anchor text:

<a href="relativity.site/about.abc">Relativity.site/about.abc</a>

One thing to remember in relation to the last category is that the link can have more 'value' if the url is identical to the phrase being targetted, e.g.

<a href="Albert-Einstein.site">Albert-Einstein.site</a>

There are also other factors involved in determining the usefulness of any backlink, such as the PR of the page it is on, the number of other links on the page, whether they are on the same theme etc.

If Google recommended the type of links being offered for sale in this case, it would be like turning their current link ranking approach on its head. The best advice is to treat link purchases the same way as buying a used car (with extreme care!).

Comments on this post

• WeRASkitzzo agrees : thanks for that chief... not really answering my question but you summed up links pretty well...
    Last edited by TearingHairOut; Aug 18th, 2005 at 07:13 PM.
  3. Contributing User

I spoke at length with the textlinkbrokers guy, jim. Anyways, he seems versed however, there is no control. He does what he wishes and how he wishes. Plus, he won't stop charging you, it's monthly. I was trying to negotiate a package for 25 links, but he requires a contract and does not change it at all. I left he behind, didn't like not having control. Plus, he won't stop telling me how bad my site is. I wanted him just for links, but he could help trying to sell me a whole SEO package. He was a bit too greedy to me, seemed more concern about the contract and money than my objective. Just my eperience I am sharing.
  5. SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

tearinghairout, thanks for the input.

elastigirl, it is a one time fee. they have a monthly program as well but they have created a permanent link package where you buy 25 links per month that are permanent. You get to vary the link text and the short blurb about your site every 5 links. The only problem is that they are basically placed in directory pages with just a TON of other links. See the URL for an example site which my link would be placed on. I just dont think the links would be worth it but I am doing more investigating...

Comments on this post

• TearingHairOut agrees : Directory links seem to have been downgraded recently by Google as well. I know my last post went off on a tangent, but it seemed to me that the phrase "link exchange pages that look very natural to Google" was implying 'natural links'.
    I love SEO Chat.
  7. :::::::::::::::::::::
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

ever thought of 3-way or parallel linking? They are one way links as long as you have a few sites under your control they are the best $$ for the effect.
    ** Do you want links on 10+ directories?
    ** Each directory is on a Unique C-Class IP & range from PR3 to PR5.
    ** If you are interested then Please Submit Your Site...
  9. Contributing User

[QUOTE=WeRASkitzzo]
    elastigirl, it is a one time fee. QUOTE]

That's how it was explained to me as well. And I too wanted to try a one month package. However, when the contract came in, I told him, I'd pay in advance for 10 links (I negotiated that) and I'd rather not be in contract - however, he insisted to have a contract, I didn't like that nor some of the wording in the contract that was contradicting to my conversation with him. Anyways, maybe you are more trusting. If he does what he says, I'd like to know, I may also want to use him again.
  11. SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

[QUOTE=El@stiG:RL]
    Originally Posted by WeRASkitzzo
    elastigirl, it is a one time fee. QUOTE]

That's how it was explained to me as well. And I too wanted to try a one month package. However, when the contract came in, I told him, I'd pay in advance for 10 links (I negotiated that) and I'd rather not be in contract - however, he insisted to have a contract, I didn't like that nor some of the wording in the contract that was contradicting to my conversation with him. Anyways, maybe you are more trusting. If he does what he says, I'd like to know, I may also want to use him again.
    Ahhh I havent gotten that far into the process. I will let you know if we do decide to travel that path. I know that they suggest you prepay for like 3 or 6 months but if we do it, we'll just go with the one time shot.
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page: