1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Cool Natural backlink vs Paid backlink

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question, let's say someone have a ecommerce website that offers a lot of great features and offers to the point that customers will link the site by themselves simply because they are interested by this site. Would it be really required for the owner of the site to build back links and pay for it to be on top on Google ranking? Wouldn't be just easier to let the customers and viewer of the site build the links indirectly? Thanks
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Chad - the ultimate goal of any website is to create such great content that people want to link to it themselves. That said, what you've just asked is sort of like saying,

"I've got an amazing product. People really like it. Should I still market it?"

The answer is always YES. McDonalds still markets. Ebay still advertises. Google still advertises. All these companies have more or less monopolies on their industries, but they continue to go out and build brand awareness. Now, think of brand awareness like links. Should you keep building links? YES.

Why?

1. Because great content can get even MORE great back links when proliferated and shown to the right audiences.

2. Because even if you're getting great link value now, so are your competitors. Get ahead and stay ahead.

3. Because sometimes it's wise to build links for particular anchor text, something you can't always rely on natural linking to do for you.

4. Because if you only let those links that come to you naturally accumulate, you may be missing out on great opportunities that might not come as easily but would be equally (if not more so) valuable.

You seem to believe that the only option other than customers linking back to you is to PAY for back links. That's just not true at all. Link building can involved getting MORE customers to give you back links, in fact there are many ways to build links that you don't have to pay for.

Comments on this post

• joshz agrees : I think the OP is meaning paying SEO rather than paying for links, but I could be wrong.
    Interested in SEO? Follow me: @cstechjoel or visit I'm The Best Looking Man In The World (According To Google!).
  5. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I agree with the above, you shouldn't stop seo just because you think you have great content people will link too, don't you think most sites, webmasters, seo's and so on think they too have great content that people would link to?

But I wouldn't advice doing paid links, at least not too many and defo not ones that scream out "paid link over here!" Your much better of building natural looking links rather then going down the paid links road. I'm not saying I ain't paid for a link or two, because I have but don't use sites that sell links for others! If you want to buy links do it in a way that makes it hard to see.

I know some people here will say no don't do paid links, but lets face a lot of seo's do paid links because the big guys do and its the only way to get that little extra boost you need at the start of a new campaign.
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi,

Great points all.

However I have found getting on-topic backlinks from well-regarded sites almost impossible:

1. because the number of well-regarded sites in a single niche is doubtless limited.
    2. because if these sites are forums etc. then they’re subject to exclusivity deals with competitors.

So in practice getting backlinks and building a customer base simultaneously is a bit of a dream. I target irrelevant backlinks in part because I have no choice.

But hell – if you find a site rich in potential customers that no one else has mined then go for it!

Thanks!

Peetr
  9. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by Peetr
    Hi,

Great points all.

However I have found getting on-topic backlinks from well-regarded sites almost impossible:

1. because the number of well-regarded sites in a single niche is doubtless limited.
    2. because if these sites are forums etc. then they’re subject to exclusivity deals with competitors.

So in practice getting backlinks and building a customer base simultaneously is a bit of a dream. I target irrelevant backlinks in part because I have no choice.

But hell – if you find a site rich in potential customers that no one else has mined then go for it!

Thanks!

Peetr
    It don't matter if your direct niche is limited, you can still get relevant links from niches that spin off from yours. Take cars as an example, if that was limited you could spin off to car parts, car wheels, car engines and so on. You can always find more relevant subjects, just use your brain

Plus if your niche is that small I would imagine you could rank quite easily for it if your competitors cant get that many relevant links either!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by NathanielB
    It don't matter if your direct niche is limited, you can still get relevant links from niches that spin off from yours. Take cars as an example, if that was limited you could spin off to car parts, car wheels, car engines and so on. You can always find more relevant subjects, just use your brain

Plus if your niche is that small I would imagine you could rank quite easily for it if your competitors cant get that many relevant links either!
    Hi,

I sold my brain for some magic beans some months ago. : P

In seriousness though I’ve done a good bit of research on my competitors.

Some have honest profiles based on links from thousands of affiliate sites. However most have profiles based on links from completely irrelevant high-PR pages. Comment spam on do-follow auto-approve blogs and forums for the most part. I’d love to know how they found them – heh.

But thanks for the interest. : )

Peetr

EDIT:

Oh – I should also mention that I think part of a natural link profile means commenting on irrelevant topics.

The question of relevancy has bearing insofar as it affects human interaction. For instance talking about fish on a blog about cats is a no-no in that the person talking about fish obviously has an outside agenda. It lessens the quality of the interaction. But talking about cats on a blog about cats but leaving a link about fish? I think that’s passable. No one loses.

Of course this is all speculation as to how Google interprets links. In practice I’ve managed p.1 rankings based on targeting long tail phrases to a specific page through irrelevant links.

Peetr
    Last edited by Peetr; Mar 29th, 2011 at 05:11 AM.
  13. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by chad66
    Hi everyone,

I have a quick question, let's say someone have a ecommerce website that offers a lot of great features and offers to the point that customers will link the site by themselves simply because they are interested by this site. Would it be really required for the owner of the site to build back links and pay for it to be on top on Google ranking? Wouldn't be just easier to let the customers and viewer of the site build the links indirectly? Thanks
    Trust me, your product aint that great. Yes, you need marketing.

Comments on this post

• joshz agrees : i bet that's what you told JCPenny... ;-)