1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Myth of Sub-Pages

Hi guys, hope you're well.

Pardon me if this has been asked earlier, just link me to that thread in case.

Okay I was referring to to "products" of a website. Technically products should be in a "products" directory and URL be like this:

abc.com/products/product-one
    abc.com/products/product-two
    abc.com/products/product-three

Am I right here?

Okay how much this creates a difference with products pages like this:

abc.com/product-one
    abc.com/product-two
    abc.com/product-three

Thank you!
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Makes very little difference. Your internal linking defines your site structure, your urls don't have to match it.
  5. Professional SEO

Unless you are talking about the SEO, then I would say it depends on the keywords used in the URLs.
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Domain name..brand of product..product name.
    Use what people will search for in the brand and product name.

Comments on this post

• ryandiscord agrees
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by rizmirz
    Okay I was referring to to "products" of a website. Technically products should be in a "products" directory and URL be like this:

abc.com/products/product-one
    abc.com/products/product-two
    abc.com/products/product-three

Am I right here?

Okay how much this creates a difference with products pages like this:

abc.com/product-one
    abc.com/product-two
    abc.com/product-three

What you are referring to is called "Siloing". Common practice among seo pro's.

Basically, it's the grouping of pages by structure and linking practices that establish the keyword themes of said website. Sometimes this includes geo-targeting where you actually mention a city name in the directory structure and file names used in building your site.

Originally Posted by ryandiscord
    Makes very little difference. Your internal linking defines your site structure, your urls don't have to match it.

I disagree with Ryandiscord on the little difference. It does make a difference and can be significant at that. He is right they don't have to match, but why would you not ?
    So when you see Cotto-Salami on the webpage and it's hyperlinked, the url will be using keywords in it..

example ...

delimeatsupplier(.)com
    delimeatsupplier(.)com/italian-meats/cotto-salami.html
    delimeatsupplier(.)com/italian-meats/pepperonii.html
    delimeatsupplier(.)com/italian-meats/bresaolai.html
    delimeatsupplier(.)com/italian-meats/genoa-salami.html
    delimeatsupplier(.)com/italian-meats/milano-salami.html

You can break it up even further, say you have two store locations, one in New York and one in Albany

delimeatsupplier(.)com/new-york/italian-meats/cotto-salami.html
    delimeatsupplier(.)com/albany/italian-meats/cotto-salami.html

My point is this.. if you are in New York and search for deli meat supplier for your restaurant, then Google is going to look at webpages and decide who is more relevant.
    The site with New York in the url will probably come up closer to 1st in the serps than a page with Albany in the url.

The big caveat here is that you cannot use the exact same content, or just change the city name in the content. You must create different content for that page, otherwise it will be
    considered duplicate content and everyone knows where that leads. It's really not hard to change up the content when you are targeting different cities, you just have to work at it a little
    harder that is all.

This practice is old in seo terms and works very effectively even today. You have to just be careful not to make your url's extremely long but you do want to use your keywords in the directory structure and file names. Same as with pictures you use to display on your webpages, ie. pepperoni-sausage.jpg. this helps the search engine make a decision of how relevant your site is for any given search term.

Comments on this post

• NewDelhiSEO agrees : Excellent points.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DirectHits
    Unless you are talking about the SEO, then I would say it depends on the keywords used in the URLs.
    I thought that was what we are talking about SEO, and its effects on ranking.

I do agree with you on this.
  13. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Well both the url formats have their own significance.
    If you are a company offering both products and services then separating them as domain(.)com/products/product1 and domain(.)com/services/service1 makes perfect sense. But if you are just a product only company the "/product" part makes no sense. So both formats are good enough.
    Further like Knowonespecial said you can use /brand/product1 or /city/product1 may work out even better. This is because, with proper filtering and proper SEO tags this can add much more value to users.
    SEO Professionals in NewDelhi It is different. Don't believe me? Go check yourself.
  15. Contributing User

KnowOneSpecial, you are referring to physical silos, where the silo is confined in directories (/meats/italian/pepperoni/). This can also be done by internal linking, for example breadcrumbs. (Meats > Italian > Pepperoni). You still have created that relationship because, all of your Pepperoni is pointing to Italian which is pointing to Meats.

If you keep everything in a physical silo including your products, you could end up with some seriously long urls. Especially if you start adding attributes to your product urls. I would rather prioritize the attributes in a product url to better suit what the searcher is looking for. I treat it like directories capture broad searches, products capture specifics.

If you know your urls will be short because the site is relatively flat or short product names, you could try keeping it all in physical directories. Keep in mind that keywords in your url is only a small ranking factor so, I still don't think it will make a big difference.

Your time would be better spent including keywords that people would use when specifically looking for that product.
  17. No Profile Picture

KnowOneSpecial, you are referring to physical silos, where the silo is confined in directories (/meats/italian/pepperoni/). This can also be done by internal linking, for example breadcrumbs. (Meats > Italian > Pepperoni). You still have created that relationship because, all of your Pepperoni is pointing to Italian which is pointing to Meats.

If you keep everything in a physical silo including your products, you could end up with some seriously long urls. Especially if you start adding attributes to your product urls. I would rather prioritize the attributes in a product url to better suit what the searcher is looking for. I treat it like directories capture broad searches, products capture specifics.

If you know your urls will be short because the site is relatively flat or short product names, you could try keeping it all in physical directories. Keep in mind that keywords in your url is only a small ranking factor so, I still don't think it will make a big difference.

Your time would be better spent including keywords that people would use when specifically looking for that product.
    Hey, just showing the OP one method and giving an example, Hell give him an example. Both methods work. When used together it's even more effective.
    We just disagree on the amount of effect....

Do both, be one step ahead of your competition, I love using bread crumbs.

I do believe the Op said they were using WordPress, Give him an example of what to do so he can learn and get it right.
  19. Contributing User

Neither way is wrong, it really comes down to what's best suited for the site.

Example would be abc.com/brand-product-name-attribute1-attribute2-attribute3 that could be linked from abc.com/category/sub-category/sub-category/

Instead of abc.com/category/sub-category/sub-category/brand-product-name-attribute1-attribute2-attribute3

(Side note: Tracking a full physical silo is a lot easier in Google Analytics. KnowOne, you can add that to your reasons to go full silo )

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees : Never thought of it from that viewpoint
  21. Contributing User

Ryan, URLs with directory structures need not be physical silos at all. They are created and handled pretty much in the same way as breadcrumbs these days.
    But I would agree with both of you that doing both will keep us one step ahead or close to our competition. But if we how long an URL is "really long" is a complicated question. So as long as a URL is easy for the user to comprehend and helps in creating value by aiding the creation of more specific information it is not doubt better to have an URL like domain/directory/product1. But I will also like to state that domain/directory/city/brand/category/subcategory/product1 is most of the time too much to handle.
  23. Contributing User

URLs with directory structures need not be physical silos at all. They are created and handled pretty much in the same way as breadcrumbs these days.
    Not sure I understand what you are saying. Could you elaborate?
  25. No Profile Picture

I think I understand him... took a minute or two...

HTML3 imposes a 1024-character limit to attribute values, while HTML4 has no such restriction.

There is no set minimum or maximum URL length, but some applications do have length restrictions; Internet Explorer imposes a 2084-character limit.

Other variances in maximum URL length can occur inside web servers themselves as they may have an internal query-string limit. When this internal query-string limit is broken, the error code 414 Request-URL Too Long is generated by the serverís failure.

It is generally accepted that URL lengths should not exceed 255 bytes, as older implementations may not be able to accept longer lengths.

But as far as SEO goes...hmmmm... what is too long...

This is where long URLs can run into trouble. Very long URLs:

Dilute the ranking power of any given URL keyword
    May hurt usability and click-through rates
    May get cut off when people copy-and-paste
    May get cut off by social media applications
    Are a lot harder to remember

I personally am not a practitioner of "using-a-sentence-as-a-hyphenated-url-which-can-easily-become-too-long.html"

Ryan and I have explained two ways to do it... and given examples, We can't teach you moderation.

look at it, is it too long, is it spammy, We have success with these
    methods because we know how to apply them, Not Overuse/Abuse Them !

So leaving out the directories vs a long url would not be my first choice.
    Use keywords in physical directory structure, use keywords in url's, use keywords in graphics, use moderation.

Bottom Line.... Shorter URL's get more clicks.... period (don't go asking how short is too short- use common sense)

But if you must have a number 75 to 115 characters may be a good limit to reasonably start with. You decide.

Comments on this post

• ryandiscord agrees
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Oct 3rd, 2016 at 01:59 PM.
  27. Contributing User

Some companies these day intentionally manufacture SEO Jargon to portray themselves as Gurus who invented something ground shattering.
    But anyway, Ryan mentioned Physical Silos which I believe is a creation of Bruce Clay group. Referring to use of directory structures as physical silos. They may be physical silos if manually created to provide the website a structure. But these days such structuring need not be physical, I mean we can achieve them non-phhysically using code very much like microformats. That is what I meant.
    I thank you both for elaborating the URL limits in details. Very informative.
  29. Contributing User

True, in concept it leads to good site structure but, I wouldn't let it stop you from linking naturally to relevant content throughout a site.