1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

MY site is on the first Page - Reciprocal links Case study.

Hello guys,

After the jagger update everyone was skeptical about link campaigns and reciprocal linking. About 70% of our clients had terminated the contract for the link building campaigns.

We decided to check how effective (in effective) is the reciprocal links. We started the experiment by November 20th 2005. The site www.recycleinme.com was chosen which had a PR of 4 and was appearing on the first page for "Buy Scrap", "Sell Scrap" which were the major key words we were focussing at that time.

For this study we decided to have the following key words
    "Metal scrap, Scrap Metal prices, Plastic scrap, Scrap dealers"
    and we started actively getting the reciprocal links. The link directory is linked from the home page and you can see it at http://www.recycleinme.com/resources/resources.aspx . The link pages were allowed to crawl by every search engine and even we had included it in our site map.

It is very obvious that google crawls the resource directory regularly and here is a sample link page which was crawled on 21 Jan 2006

This is G o o g l e's cache of http://www.recycleinme.com/resources/resources.aspx as retrieved on 21 Jan 2006 20:42:36 GMT.

Coming to the point we were not in the 1st 100 page results for the terms "metal scrap" ,"scrap dealers", "scrap metal prices", "plastic scrap" as on November 20th 2005. Even till the first week of december we were not able to see the sites for any of the key phrases within the 100 pages. We had searched through the various datacenters and country domains of google but no luck. (Our software doesn't go beyond 100 pages of google results so we frankly didn't know whether or not the site got listed beyond the 100 pages).

Meanwhile the traffic from google had dropped to 40% since our site was not appearing for the previous key phrases (The ones which we used before Nov 20th) and on dec 18th we had the lowest traffic on the site ever since it 2004. We almost came to decision that reciprocal links are offensive strategy on optimizing for google. The christmas was spent on discussing new strategies for google in 2006.

By 29th Dec I had a call from one of our staff saying that our site had appeared on the 18th page for one of our key words "scrap dealers" . This had given us a new hope and from then on there was improvement by every day. Our site appeared for all the key phrases ranging from result Page 8-25.

By mid Jan 2006 we had our website on the first page for one of the key phrase "scrap dealers" and the traffic had started flowing in. Amazingly we had our site on the 2nd page for "scrap metal prices" and on the 8th page for "metal scrap" which is our main key phrase and which I was targetting on. (Over 250,000 searches performed every month). "Plastic scrap" was still buried in the 40th page or so.

For a week or so the positions kept on changing and sometimes we were in the 3rd page for the main key phrase "metal scrap" and once we even got in the first page for the google.co.in domain.

To my excitement and expectations, today we have got it where we want it. Here is what i find and would like to share the joy with all my fellow SEO's.

"Metal Scrap" 1 Page
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=metal+scrap

"Scrap metal Prices" 1 page
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=scrap+metal+prices

"Plastic Scrap" 4th Page
    http://www.google.com/search?q=plastic+scrap&hl=en&lr=&start=30&sa=N

"Scrap Dealers" 1 page #1 place
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=scrap+dealers

I firmly believe that relevant and links from quality sites are an asset to the SERPS. I would like to hear your comments on this.

Comments on this post

• waxbrat agrees : One point for the experiment.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

yeah actually reciprocal links or one way link is equal to a good keywords density optimization But you should target more keywords. With 10 keywords you have a hundred potential combinations. There is no boundaries but i've to say good job for what you've done. You learnt more by doing it yourself than reading on the web ;)
  5. Contributing User

Backlinks always work.
    The biggest mistake some webmasters make is not giving enough time for links to count. Building a web site takes time and effort.
    Of course, you need the right backlinks, well themed, from other sites whose links pages have pr, and the right use of your keywords in the backlinks.
    Some link builders never thoroughly check the sites they are exchanging links with. Other sites and pages of those sites, your link is listed on, are very important.
    Even on site internal backlinks count.
    I don't believe any of the more experienced webmasters ever said backlinks don't work.

Links are life.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Very good study and points well taken. There is still hope.
  9. Contributing User

Thanks Guys

I should thank you guys for your insight on backlinks. Since the jagger update there was a lot of hue and cry over backlinks and even Google's Matt Cutts had delibrately mentioned it as not a good practice. But where will be the WEB (Means interlinked and connected ) without links. I agree that lot of guys entered into the link building market and spoiled the business. However I believe this is good for this business weeding out the so called SEo's and link builders.