Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

My SEO is good, apart from my link building

Hi,
    I have had great SEO results recently. We are very high up in the organic rankings which is great, but I want to stay there. I believe I am very capable in technical and on page SEO. The thing I struggle with is link building. Our website is an ecommerce site selling things like whiteboards and bulletin boards (link below). I really struggle to gain good quality links, I believe the reason for this is that the industry is a boring one so it is hard to create interesting content.

Has anyone got any advice for me to improve my link building? I have recently outsourced some content writing but this has had little success. How can I share this content apart from using social media?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

boardsdirect.co.uk

Thanks
  3. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Can we assume that you are blogging?

Comments on this post

• RoyalBlueStuey agrees
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

What DirectHits said, blog about the information which will add to your content and you can also build more internal links.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Hi there,

Re backlinks, I run a website called [removed by admin]. You can sign up and add one there. We do charge however, but we are running a good quality website. You can get backlinks by writing articles or setting up a detailed business profile. Also, we have an "Agency subscription" option where you can list 10 websites plus your own.

Hope that helps a bit,

Neil.

Comments on this post

• IvanDrago
    Last edited by Ann Smarty; May 9th, 2017 at 11:50 AM.
  9. Contributing User

Be quicker to just burn your money.
  11. No Profile Picture

You can make linkable content about whiteboards. Try some roundups of like 21 pieces of amazing whiteboard art, or 31 jaw-dropping whiteboard time lapses, or 44 amazing whiteboard animations, etc. Just embed such at your blog, and shop that around. I'd imagine you'd get some links for those pages.
  13. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Have you been doing your competitor research? What are they doing to build links and how aggressive are they? The key to staying on top is to keep an eye on whether others want to get there too and what they are attempting to do...

Comments on this post

• RoyalBlueStuey agrees
    Last edited by Ann Smarty; May 17th, 2017 at 10:11 AM.
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

My approach to linkbuilding is to go and get the links you SHOULD have rather than thinking up cunning plans to get links you probably shouldn't have. Look at who is linking to your competitors & peers. Look who is talking about your niche. Find out what content you can offer and become part of that micro-community.

I know all that is very obvious but being a member of the niche always pays dividends

Comments on this post

• lamanhxx agrees
  17. No Profile Picture

Internal Linking to your Site is good with unique Content .

19. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Very true. Having connections within the industry will connect you with the media which in turn will help build content that links back to you. Essentially, if you just do things that normal businesses do you will have a great chance to show up in front of influencers.
  21. No Profile Picture

I think that knowing well about your own company is the greatest thing. Especially when you end up having high organic rankings. If you do know your product, you will find a way to make great content. To me, I would do a short cartoon video about the whiteboard and the bulletin board, how were their lifes before and after. Maybe you can make an educational series about math or drawing, etc.. Good luck!
  23. No Profile Picture

Link building is good for a website as per SEO but it should not be excessive. Need to prepare a list of High Authority Directory sites for link building. After Google's updates quality of links is matter for a website not quantity. So be careful when creating backlinks.
  25. No Profile Picture

Be specific, what you want to improve! As link building is only issue then you must change your seo vendor.

thanks!
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm the opposite. I consider myself an expert in link building. I'm decent with On-page, but there are some technical skills I'm still learning. Maybe we can help each other ;)

That being said, if you sell whiteboards and bulletin boards, sounds like teachers/schools would be a large part of your target audience? Definitely research your competitor's backlinks for ideas, but let's get creative here. You could literally pull a Rand Fishkin and do some fun whiteboard friday's around educational topics. Create a learning center/blog with useful resources for teachers, faculty, schools, and students. Do you have any idea how many k-12 school sites there are? Gold mine! And if you haven't already, create a Scholarship to link build around. It's one of the most cost effective and easiest ways to build links! I just did a $500 scholarship and obtained 60 unique referring domains from DA 50+ .edu's.

How about you get a little techy and create an interactive or animated infographic (don't do static), showing the evolution of whiteboards from writing on cave walls to digitized boards. There are vendors out there that could build something for $1K-$5K. Yes, it's a nice chunk of change up front, but if you research your audience and make sure there's a large pool of prospects you can outreach to, find similar links/ideas (even from sources outside of your competitors) to get proof of concept - it could pay dividends.

Random thought - you could even make it into a game. Create an interactive asset that shows a cave drawing, and have a white board that kids can draw on, so they can try and copy/draw it. You might ask, who would link to that? There are A LOT of websites out there that link to kid friendly games - schools, .edu's, .gov's, you name it.

As an FYI, the company I used to work for charged $500-$700 per link - and not crappy links from directories and link networks - but high quality, relevant links. So, the way we looked at it, if we spent $3000 on an asset to link build around, we needed at least 6 links from unique referring domains to break even...and we'd usually build around 30 unique links on average. We also failed at what we thought were slam dunks...but sometimes you need to take a risk to learn.

The reason I say all of this is because while looking at competitor's backlinks can be helpful, I find that most suck at link building, so it doesn't help you when you look at their backlinks, and see they already have similar links to you, maybe they had a mention on some publication or local news source, or maybe they got a link through sponsoring an event, and 80% of their backlinks just looks like random spam. Instead, think about your target audience, like you would for your website. Think about UX, and what kind of content would be engaging. What do they want to link to. Is there a resource that has a lot of links, like a a mover's guide/checklist for off-campus students at universities that you think you could do better? - just an example of an old link building idea I had.

Lastly, some low hanging fruit. Unlinked Brand Mentions. I don't know what company you work for, so this may not be applicable. But if you have a brand that get's mentioned in any online publications or news outlet, you should be asking for a link. And don't be scared to ask cause the worst you can get is a no. Your email can be as simple as:

Subject:"Update for your article"

"Hi there,

My name is X, and I work for Y. We were mentioned in your article (link to it), and wanted to find out if you could reference our website as a resource for your readers? The link is www.company.com.

I appreciate the help, and look forward to hearing from you!

Your signature"

You wouldn't believe how many links I've gotten from just taking the time to send a simple email like that.

Comments on this post

• DirectHits agrees : Some great ideas here.
    • whiterabbit agrees : Very well thought out post that is very generous with interesting ideas
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi PInder325,
    IMHO, no one can claim good on-page SEO implementation if all their product pages do not qualify and rank well for the maximum range of search queries when potential clients are near the end of their purchasing process.

Here is a very quick check of how few of your sites' pages will qualify for a range of near end of purchase search queries:

All your site's pages indexed by G = 1,830

These words only occur on the numbers of pages listed:

order = 963
    price = 886
    mobile = 437
    warranty = 43
    phone = 26
    quote = 19
    telephone = 5
    enquiries = 2
    reviews = 2

It has long been said that the main on-page SEO problem is failing to qualify for the maximum relevant search queries.

External link building is no use if you don't even qualify for important SERPs.

You may not even need any external links with the multiple words that can be included in the near end of purchase search queries.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: