1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Multiple Word Keyword Test Opinion

Like everyone else I have been doing some tests since the florida change. I went after a semi competitive phrase (660,000 results) for a keyword and used low keyword density and different words mixed in with the one keyword in my anchor text. It worked like a charm, I'm now ranked 6th for the keyword and top 3 for sub keywords.

BUT what about multiple word keywords (ex: keyword keyword). I don't mean a "spinoff" keywords. For instance "basketballs" is a main keyword and "blue basketballs" is what I call a spinoff keyword. Basically if you are ranked high for basketballs and you have blue somewhere on your site your rank will be high for that as well because it's not a highly searched term. I'm talking about a multi word keyword such as debt consolidation, cable television, inkjet cartridge etc. These types of keywords aren't spinoffs of one of the words inside of the keyword.

Has anyone had any luck getting ranked high for those keywords? What methods did you use? Any suggestions, comments, or help would be greatly appreciated.
  3. Give me Backlinks
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I still believe that if you are targeting phrases like 'debt consolidation', then you must have most backlinks with exactly the same link text, and to play safe, you can have some different link text as well, I mean, the ratio could be 8.8:1.5. That's working fine for me. I am ranking well for a two-words phrase of similar kind.