1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Multiple websites in the same industry

I have managed to rank my own local business website on page 1 for quite a few location keywords and have a colleague wanting my help to get his own website ranking better.

We both have exactly the same business operating in similar locations offering the same services. There is plenty of work and room for both of us on page one.

How can I create a website for him that is similar to mine and still keep them both unique?

My site has 4 suburb pages and 4 services pages and I intend to do the same for my friend but I'm having difficulty helping him out without duplicating my own site which will not help either of us.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Since you are both in the same niche, that does create quite the issue.

Maybe this will help you sort it out.....

Try the search for your niche using a different geo location neither of you target, Look at the top 3 sites and see how they have done there sites. This way you will gleam some ideas for content that both of you can accept. Meaning, that it will rank his site , but not offend you by out ranking your site completely.

I often go look at sites in the niche a client wants to target. One - So I can get an idea of his market. Meaning do I need to outsource the content, or do I feel competent to create the quality content needed. (in this case I think you are competent to write the content ) Two - To see what others have or are doing, then do it better. You may want to target an area that is at least several 100's of miles, from you and choose the top site there as his primary competitor and use that site to compete against. It will help you make his site unique from yours, even if you use the same templates for page design as used on your site.

Another thing you may consider is to target minor differences in keywords, then using a lot more diversified LSI words to help differentiate the sites.

Just some suggestions... I hope some others chime in on this....
  5. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I think you can do it pretty well. You have done it once and you can replicate the process again.
    As far as content duplication is considered, give it a good thought again. Present the same offering in a new way. Also please remember to have a unique design for the second site. Because eventually, your target local audience will suspect it's it the same company with multiple websites.
    But, it may so happen that after your initial SEO campaign when you are at a situation where you rank #4 and your friend ranks #5 things can go out of your control. Some organic link here and there or separate promotion by your friend can lead to better links and thus higher ranks for your friend. You should be prepared for that situation.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Try the search for your niche using a different geo location neither of you target, Look at the top 3 sites and see how they have done there sites.
    That's how I built my site but the majority of people in my industry have poor quality sites from an SEO and content perspective so I almost had to re-invent the wheel. Doing it a second time for my colleague is the current challenge.

eventually, your target local audience will suspect it's it the same company with multiple websites.
    This is what I hope to avoid. My biggest difficulty is having unique content for the services pages and suburb pages as we both do exactly the same thing in nearby suburbs.

higher ranks for your friend.
    Not concerned with this. We are working together even though we have separate businesses. SEO in this niche is generally poor so we should be able to rank 2 sites on page 1.

Because I have had quick success getting my own page to rank I'm hoping in the near future I might be able to offer my SEO expertise to others in my industry but in different locations. The poor quality SEO in this niche makes me confident I can rank other businesses well in lots of different suburbs.

I know my industry well so creating or advising on blog posts etc will be not too difficult. Making multiple sites with unique "core" pages like services and location pages will be the biggest challenge though. If I can work out a method for these first 2 sites there is potential for some profitable SEO work
  9. No Profile Picture

eclisped what is the niche or service industry - plumbers, roofing, computers, uber, what?

I am sure we could be more helpful with suggestions if we knew the niche.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

driving school +suburb
    driving lessons +suburb

These are the high search volume keywords critical to site success. Other derivatives add value to other pages boosting main domain ranking.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by eclipsed
    driving school +suburb
    driving lessons +suburb

These are the high search volume keywords critical to site success. Other derivatives add value to other pages boosting main domain ranking.
    I remember the sites now... driving test sites, sorry I forgot about them, its easy to forget sites when helping the many members here.

Talk about your instructors... Their credentials, how long each instructor has been with the company, their certifications, etc etc. Definitely that would be unique to each site.
    You can even talk about length of operation, ie how long each company has been in business. Possibly any awards any of the driving instructors have acquired. Again that would be unique content to each site.
    Talk about what routes you train your students on, how you handle maneuvers, like parallel parking, properly passing, also include a little different history of each suburb, making sure that you discuss different aspects of each suburb. You could talk about highway trainning on one site , while you would talk about residential trainning on the other, with slight cross over on topics.

Also you could copy a few of your reviews from Google if you have some, include one or two on the pages, those would also be unique.

Hope this helps.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi again Eclipsed,
    Folk have offered a lot of advice to you in many posts. That's OK by me but new readers may not appreciate how some of us can hone in and build on a bunch of stuff that has been observed in other posts.

In 23 years, I've never seen two websites that are close to replicating each other in search referrals.

Changes to the site structure, how/where the Home pages pass PageRank, the URL naming convention, the volume of thin content pages as well as the content of individual pages will cause pages to rank differently in G.

Simply choosing a different website design template can have a dramatic impact on search rankings. Eg. A design that replicates your main site navigation links at the top and bottom of every page will change how and to which pages external link juice is passed around the sites.

Then there are all the thin content pages on your site. You say you have published a small number of pages. G has indexed 47. I've not counted but I see a lot of seemingly content irrelevant pages like:

• eclipsedrivertraining.com.au/peripheral-vision/
    • eclipsedrivertraining.com.au/facebook200/
    • eclipsedrivertraining.com.au/googleplus200/
    • eclipsedrivertraining.com.au/josh-werribee/
    • eclipsedrivertraining.com.au/ben-tarneit/
    • Etc.

This is the realm of G's Panda algo update. The SEO world is divided in its opinion of how G penalises sites for thin content and I can't tell you whether G will simply ignore these pages on your site or whether they are ignored except for perhaps chewing up incoming PageRank on irrelevant pages. The point is, many/most of your indexed pages seem to be thin content like the above.

If you are helping out with your mate's site, it should be very easy to out-rank your site with a few simple changes to what is inhibiting your own site's performance.

Then there is the location of searches on mobile devices.

On 27 Oct 2017 G. announced that it had changed its mobile search to be 100% based on the location of the searcher.

Where is your mate's business location and how well is it identified to G? Unless your businesses are in the same street in the same suburb, this single change should generate different search rankings and referrals.

It looks like you are in a search place where there is no professional SEO support used. That is an inherent advantage for many small businesses but please do not fool yourself into thinking you are implementing anything more than the most basic of search ranking signals for Google.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Nov 9th, 2017 at 02:53 AM.
  17. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Personally I think it's a bad habit to get into helping a competitor rank. It's a poor business decision unless maybe your sleeper with em. That's a different ball game.
    Last edited by Test-ok; Nov 9th, 2017 at 03:30 AM.