Great community. Great ideas.
Welcome to SEOChat, a community dedicated to helping beginners and professionals alike in improving their Search Engine Optimization knowledge. †Sign up today to gain access to the combined insight of tens of thousands of members.
Dec 9th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Multiple errors on WMT for URL that doesnt exist anymore
We did a few upgrades on one of our websites.
The categories URL stay the same. the problem is Google indexed the aspx urls and now canít find them.
* The aspx urls were different before, we use a different aspx urls
The result for now is a Hugh amount of errors because WMT cannot find these urls.
1. What will be the proper solution for this problem?
I had the same problem with some static cat pages; I just redirected them to the home page. In this case the error is 10 times bigger so I am not sure if this will be the best solution.
What do you think?
2. do you think these error could have a negative effect on my website ranking ?
Dec 9th, 2012, 09:29 AM
1) Use the URL removal tool in WMT
2) Google states that 404's dont generally harm your listings but can hurt internal linking.
Dec 10th, 2012, 05:31 AM
Erro 301 code will help you in this, which will do the Perfect URL redirect work
By DeeperStill in forum Google Optimization
Last Post: Oct 3rd, 2012, 06:03 PM
By charu.seo in forum Google Optimization
Last Post: Sep 24th, 2011, 07:08 AM
By asterinex in forum Google Optimization
Last Post: Oct 9th, 2009, 02:12 PM
By d4funky1 in forum Google Optimization
Last Post: Aug 18th, 2008, 12:19 PM
By Nadir in forum Google Optimization
Last Post: Nov 11th, 2005, 09:22 PM