1. Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Multiple Domains to one site ???

I am a developer and as a pet project I started up a company called SolarObjects, LLC (www.solarobjects.com). I have had SolarObjects for about four months and have obtained a page rank of 5/10 however I am only getting around 200-300 hits a day and I am looking to increase traffic.

During research I noticed that if a site has a keyword in the domain it gets a high placement even if it does NOT have a good Page Rank.

An example is if I do a Google search for “telescope” on the first page I find the site telescope.com, which has a page rank of (3/10) however every other site on that first page has a rank either 7 or 8. Again on the second page every site has a rank of 7 or 8 except one, telescopecasual.com, which has 5/10. Since telescope is a highly searched keyword I am sure that these sites get a lot more traffic than I do.

Most of the good domains are taken but I just purchased “AstronomyTelescope.com” as it has two very highly searched keywords. But I don’t know what approach to take to implement this domain. I want to keep the domain SolarObjects.com live because I don’t know how Google views sites like these and I don’t want to get de-listed.

Can I simply have DNS point to the same IP address for SolarObjects?

Or should I make a copy of my website and give the new copy a new IP address and have it use the same database?

Or am I just wasting my time?

How does this affect page rank? I am guessing each domain will have its own Page Rank.

Does anyone know if Google pays attention to how many domains point to the same website?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeremy Mitchell
    jeremy@JSMitchell.net
  3. Give me Backlinks
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Welcome to the forum, jmitch47!

Even the new domain you purchased will have to get links to rank well. If you can gather links, why not get links for solaeobjects.com? All you have to do is to ask for the appropriate link text (telescope).

Don't create carbon-copy sites. And one more thing- just make sure that the keyword you are targetting is not too difficult. I mean it is better to rank well for a relatively lesser searched for keyword than ranking at 10th page for the most searched for keyword. If you are a beginner, you'll need tons of links with the appropriate keywords in the anchor text.
    I think you'll be better off using some link management program like ARELIS or linksmanager.com.

Yes, each domain has its own PR.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Jeremy,

Actually your domain that you registered does not have the two words in it. If you wanted to do that, you should have registered astronomy-telescope.com. As best as I can tell, having undelimited words in your url provides you no benefit. The benefit with having the words in your url is mostly due to the fact that all links to your site will have good anchor text because of your domain name.
  7. Registered User

Great, thank you... that information helps.