1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Multiple domains on one hosting account, Hostgator.

Hi,

I currently have a website hosted with Hostgator that has decent Google rankings.

I want to host another website on the same hosting account to save me buying another, this new website does not need to rank in Google as I will be sending traffic via adwords.

Hostgator say that "every addon domain is a subdomain". Will this effect the rankings of my primary site?

Here is the Hostgator description:
    http://support.hostgator.com/article...n-addon-domain

Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Banned

I think it goes little positive to your main site.
  5. Contributing
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

All my accounts have multiple domains hosted on them and I have no problem ranking them... in fact... I moved one site from a crappy domain to this account and absolutely nothing changed...
    Disclaimer : My posts on SEO are just from my observations and I do not say it is a true fact... A real fact of life is that, I'm often wrong...
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Technically no problem because GOogle is aware that almost the entire web is at some point hosted on the same IP, sometimes thousands of web sites. You should be just fine even though hostgator likes to do the whole 'subdomain' thing....but in reality when you type in your web site you'll get the full domain.

Of course there 's still value in unique IPs and hosting, but for anything small there is no problem in my eyes.

Comments on this post

• Aignam agrees
  9. No Profile Picture

Why is their still value in unique IP's if Google does not give you a better ranking for using them?
  11. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

It's not about the value to unique IPs, it's more about the off chance that someone on the shared server does something drastic to ban the IP in the eyes of google. So if the shared IP becomes compromised in any way then the other hosted sites may be affected. At least that's the fear in the theory.

Getting a unique IP simply says you'll write your own story for the IP, location, content, history, everything, without the off chance somebody will taint your IP rep
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by djstreet
    It's not about the value to unique IPs, it's more about the off chance that someone on the shared server does something drastic to ban the IP in the eyes of google. So if the shared IP becomes compromised in any way then the other hosted sites may be affected. At least that's the fear in the theory.

Getting a unique IP simply says you'll write your own story for the IP, location, content, history, everything, without the off chance somebody will taint your IP rep
    In addition, when you have the only site on an IP, it shows a certain commitment (i.e, investment) in the site which may improve its trust score with Google, which in turn may give it a slightly better chance of ranking well.

Please not I said "may" because i have no proof of this. It was a topic that was discussed in some details a few years back when one of Google's search technology patent applications was made public. The document clearly implied that they "might" use this type of data and take it into account.

Comments on this post

• distinctseo agrees : thats what started this whole ip train.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO