1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Multiple domains, conflicting advice, confused

I know this is a faq, but I'm seeing conflicting advice.

We have several domains pointing to the same Web site for valid reasons (e.g., trademarks we own).

a) The faq says this is no problem because SE's recognize that they all have the same IP address. But when I ping my two domains, I see different IP's. Is there some DNS thing that should be done differently?

b) Some articles say that if you have multiple domains, you should 301 them all to one domain. I have no problem doing this if that's what I ought to do.

c) I noticed advice on another thread to redirect mydomain.com to www.mydomain.com.

Thanks, Maureen
  3. ;-)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

When you saying pointing, do you mean if you type in my domain.com you get the same page as mydomain2.com ?

If so you are proberly using a 301 already... Check and be sure as if its a 302 it could be trouble..

test here http://www.searchenginepromotionhelp.com/m/http-server-response/code-checker.php
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by Maureen
    I know this is a faq, but I'm seeing conflicting advice.

We have several domains pointing to the same Web site for valid reasons (e.g., trademarks we own).

a) The faq says this is no problem because SE's recognize that they all have the same IP address. But when I ping my two domains, I see different IP's. Is there some DNS thing that should be done differently?

b) Some articles say that if you have multiple domains, you should 301 them all to one domain. I have no problem doing this if that's what I ought to do.

c) I noticed advice on another thread to redirect mydomain.com to www.mydomain.com.

Thanks, Maureen
    I'd say definitely make sure that *all* domains except your main one do 301 redirect to the main one. We had a nightmare just before Xmas for this very reason. We got whacked for accidentally dupe content. That convinced me. After putting 301s on all the other domains we are back where we belong on page 1 of Goog.