1. KSL Consulting
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Multiple Affiliate Links and the G Feb 2 Update

I have just analysed all the pages on my site that Google has trashed against those that survived the Feb 2 onslaught. The ones which got hosed all seem to have one thing in common and that's quite a few affiliate links and banners. Pages without affiliate links or banners on the same site are little affected in the SERPS. This is a very interesting revelation. Even more interesting is that when my pages have over 6 affiliate links they get hammered even more from top ten to down into the 90's.

Maybe Google doesn't like pages with too many banners or affilliate links, even though these USED to pay my bills every month. USED TO being in capital letters, as after this update, they don't any more!!

I have just removed some of these links and will report on any SERPS improvements attained.

Steve
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I have a totally different story. My pages used to rank top 10 on google. Now they're in 100. I looked at a few keywords, all top 10 have multiple affiliate links. I even have a theory that affiliate may boost google ranking.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by dejaone
    I have a totally different story. My pages used to rank top 10 on google. Now they're in 100. I looked at a few keywords, all top 10 have multiple affiliate links. I even have a theory that affiliate may boost google ranking.
    I have never heard so much aimless conjecture on the way things work since the middle ages.

Guys.. why would whether you have affiliate programs or not have any damn affect on your sites? Get real! CNN.com has freakin' affiliate programs! No wonder all the damn geniuses here like Egol stopped posting, this forum is filling up with poopoo
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Just to squash this affiliate link conspiracy once and for all, I see several target key phrases in my logs that are referral from Google. Everyone of these key phrase is a product that is only listed on one my datafeed pages (e.g. "Brand X Red Sqeegee 5.0")

If Google was penalizing affiliate links, then I wouldn't be seeing these incredibly targeted referrals from the big G.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I really don't think affiliate links have anything to do with it either. Sorry.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you have a lot of affiliate links why don't you link to your own site and redirect from there? Then Google can't tell that it's a affiliate link.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo