1. No Profile Picture

MozRank vs. PageRank

Can anyone here explain to me clearly the difference of PageRank and MozRank?

I know MozRank is based on the popularity of the website and PageRank is based on the overall quality of the backlinks a website has.

But I am confused which one should I use and which one should I value most based on their metrics?
    Last edited by lizwright04; Feb 15th, 2013 at 12:01 AM.
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Moz Rank and Page Rank are similar. Moz Rank is a weighted link popularity score as is Page Rank.
    They differ because the start of with different weighting being assigned to a different "seed set" of trusted sites. They also have different indexed so propagation of link weight through their respective indices is different.

Below is a chart showing the correlation (or lack there of) or Page Rank vs Moz Rank for around 200 sites.

chart_2 (1).png

You can see clearly that they do not agree strongly. It is also interesting when you do a correlation of Google Rank v PR or Moz Rank - they do not often correlate well either.

So what does this tell you? Its all about relevance! You can have a metrically perfect site that doesn't rank and a metrically weak site that does. The metrics help analyze and improve, but ultimately you had better have a good quality site with good relevant content if you want to rank well.