1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Moving Server Change Rankings?

HI Can anybody tell me if moving your site to a different server with different ip address could have any impact on the ranking of your site. I remember one of my clients moving their site once and they lost number one position but this is maybe because they made some structural changes.

Could changing your ip address change your ranking?
  3. I Never Finish Anythi
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

As Far as i think..

Keep Site on both the Servers.. And just make a Permanent Redirect onto the new location..

Might not hurt..

Regards
    Link Diary - Build Links Fast & Easy. Similar to Linkmarket, with option of three way link exchange and anchor rotation.

**"Save SEO Industry - GO VIRAL!! - Tips and Tricks ."**
    **"Live, not just to survive, But to Rule."**
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by lovekills_s
    As Far as i think..

Keep Site on both the Servers.. And just make a Permanent Redirect onto the new location..

Might not hurt..

Regards
    You can't do that because your domain will only propogate to one server (once the change is made).

The answer is that it shouldn't make any difference at all assuming three things:

1. The site doesn't "go down" during the transfer (even if it does any effect would be temporary).

2. Your main incoming links don't all come from sites hosted on the server/IP you're moving TO (if they do it shouldn't have an effect but it might)!

3. Your new server/host isn't blacklisted for spam.

The best method is to maintain the site on the old server whilst the transfer is in progress (personally I would keep it there for at least a week after updating my DNS).
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Another situation in which rankings could be affected is where you have a gTLD domain (e.g. .com, .net) and the ip address of the new server resolves to a different country via geo-location.
    Sussex Barn Dance
    The Hokey Cokey - is that really what it's all about?
  9. I Never Finish Anythi

So what will happen if a permanent redirect onto the new location is made?..

Kindly explain in detail..i was not sure..but still had a wierdest of the idea..lol

In-depth explanation will be appreciated..lol
    Regards
  11. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by lovekills_s
    So what will happen if a permanent redirect onto the new location is made?..

Kindly explain in detail..i was not sure..but still had a wierdest of the idea..lol

In-depth explanation will be appreciated..lol
    Regards
    Well - you can't make a permanent redirect to a new location... only to a new domain.
    If the new domain is at a new location it should work exactly the same as any domain name change/permanent redirect (which is to say that your results will probably dip for while whilst Google "catches up" with your move and subsequently with the redirection of all your backlinks etc) but - eventually you should end up in near-enough the same spot (given that the domain name change doesn't adversely effect your ranking to any great extent)!
  13. I Never Finish Anythi

Thanks clicky for the Information.. Actually with that "new Location" i meant new domain on another server only ..Anyways thanx for that .. that was informative though..

Regards
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

1) Copy site to new server.
    2) If you dont have a Google sitemap or html sitemap now would be a good time to create one.
    3) Update Registar for new DNS
    4) Watch traffic logs on OLD server until it stops getting hits (New DNS is then fully propogated)
    5) Shutdown old site (you can then leave a 301 to your fully qualified domain name if it makes you feel better ... but best bet is just to cancel the account)
    6) Watch traffic logs on new server to ensure GBot, Slurp, MSNBot are correctly traversing your site

*Geo-location of your server as mentioned here is important be sure your new host is geo-located in the country of your greatest marketing/sales.
  17. Eternal Student of SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Is there a checker for blacklisted or spammed hosts?