1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Moved site/Changed site - can I preserve SEO?

I recently pointed my main URL to a new hosting company. I also took down my old site (it was broken) and pointed it to a new WP site that I built at my new hosting company. My old site had lots of inbound links pointing to different pages (4,000+) and page rank 3. Is it possible to preserve any of this or pass it on to my new site?

Should I move everything from newer URL to main URL (the one with the "juice") or is it OK to point the main URL to the newer URL?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
  3. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

301 your old URL's to your new URL's and things should resume over time. You will definitely see an interruption but put a 301 redirect in place and start building new links to the new URL's and things will return eventually.
  5. No Profile Picture

Should I change inbound links I control or will 301 take care of it?

Originally Posted by Lb1878
    301 your old URL's to your new URL's and things should resume over time. You will definitely see an interruption but put a 301 redirect in place and start building new links to the new URL's and things will return eventually.
    I can go back in and change some of the links to the old site as some are coming from sites I own or control. Is it worth doing that? Or once I do the 301 is that taken care of anyway?
  7. Dancin with the devil

Did you keep the old URL's or did you change them all? Is the old site still up?

The 301 will allow the old link juice to pass to the new URL's. If you have control over it, I would start using the new URL's in your link building. Perhaps you can implement the 301 then wait a few weeks and see how quickly the changes are being picked up. If they are taking a while to pick up, then try changing the links on the sites you have control over.
  9. No Profile Picture

Did you keep the old URL's or did you change them all? Is the old site still up?

The 301 will allow the old link juice to pass to the new URL's. If you have control over it, I would start using the new URL's in your link building. Perhaps you can implement the 301 then wait a few weeks and see how quickly the changes are being picked up. If they are taking a while to pick up, then try changing the links on the sites you have control over.
    I pointed the old URL to my new hosting company yesterday at around 8PM. It still has not taken effect. When you type in my old URL it takes you to a site for a bank in Cali Columbia at the moment! (Don't know why that happened but thats for another thread). I went from a traditional static web site built by someone else that had issues (no site map, broken links, uncrawlable pages) to a site built on WP platform which I am loving. You can check out the new site at movingmountainsdesign dot net. The old site was at movingmountainsdesign dot com.

I'm somewhat green at this, so I don't understand your question "did you keep the old URLs or did you change them all?" Explain please.

BTW, thanks for your help.
  11. Dancin with the devil

Well, it looks like you changed your URL's (.com to .net). Why did you change this if you don't mind me asking? Your best bet would have been to keep your URL's and redesign the site and move it to the WP platform.

A 301 redirect tells the search engines that "hey, we have a new URL, let me show it to you without you having to do any work." This allows any juice built on the old URL's to pass to the new ones. If you have the ability to redirect the URL's to the new ones, I would highly recommend it. A 301 redirect is popular when webmasters re-write their URL's to be more search and user friendly.

WP is a great platform and is becoming quite the content management system. We use a wordpress blog on our site and they are very easy to use and get indexed by the search engines very quickly. There is a thread in these forums somewhere with a list of must have plugins. Do a search and start downloading.

Hopefully this explains things a little better.
  13. No Profile Picture

Well, it looks like you changed your URL's (.com to .net). Why did you change this if you don't mind me asking? Your best bet would have been to keep your URL's and redesign the site and move it to the WP platform.

A 301 redirect tells the search engines that "hey, we have a new URL, let me show it to you without you having to do any work." This allows any juice built on the old URL's to pass to the new ones. If you have the ability to redirect the URL's to the new ones, I would highly recommend it. A 301 redirect is popular when webmasters re-write their URL's to be more search and user friendly.

WP is a great platform and is becoming quite the content management system. We use a wordpress blog on our site and they are very easy to use and get indexed by the search engines very quickly. There is a thread in these forums somewhere with a list of must have plugins. Do a search and start downloading.

Hopefully this explains things a little better.
    I changed because my old, broken site was at the .com URL. I wanted to build a new site before I took the old one down and moved the old URL to a new hosting company. I was unable to figure out how to create the new WP site without having it associated with an actual URL so I built the new site at the .net URL which was parked. Once the new site was somewhat finished, I wanted to take the old site down and point the original URL at the new site. I would like the site to be .com, not .net (not just point the .com URL), but haven't figured out how to do that yet.

By "re-write URLs" do you mean editing the perma-link structure of a page or post title? Not sure I'm understanding you.
  15. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Simply change the DNS in the .coms registration to point at teh nameservers for your new sites hosting.

Its not too late to do so.

When developing a simple edit to your hosts file on your computer can enable you to point any domain at whatever ip address you are developing from.

I definitely recommend using your old URL. Also 301 redirect, by page any page which you have reproduced on your new site.
    Work Smarter, Not Harder
  17. Dancin with the devil

Yes, there is a plugin for the permalinks too. But structure your permalinks to be search engine friendly, not the crappy ones WP provides for you.

While I was replying, googler provided more detailed info about how to accomplish this. I am not savvy with the programming side of things so I'm sorry I couldnt give you all the detailed info.