1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Moved to international host, now being dropped from local google!

Hi

A while back I asked if my local (google.co.za) results would be affected if I moved my website to an international host. The general impression was that the results might be slightly hurt - but nothing major. I have a commerce store so I am not interested in google.com/au/de etc as we do not ship there. Before the move we were doing extremely well in google.co.za with rankings in the top 3 for any of our products.

I went along with the move, and on the 20th May everything was back up and running.

Now...I have a za.net domain, which is a free service here in SA - which I presumed was South African! If I google.co.za site:www.ngrcomputers.za.net none of my products are listed there anymore - only irrelavent pages. Google.com site:www.ngrcomputers.za.net still comes up perfectly the way it should.

What worries me. Google.co.za does not have my pages anymore - but if I go to google.de and site:www.ngrcomputers.za.net I see I am starting to get indexed! So the big Q....

The za.net domain obviously does not restrict to SA - so google is using the hosting location to decide where the website should be "saved"!

Now here in SA our main domain extensions is .co.za! Now i have parked ngrcomputers.co.za to ngrcomputers.za.net, in case visitors typed the .co.za as it's SA's main extension. So now if I check google.de it does not come up but it does in google.co.za (only 1 page indexed though as its a parked domain)!

So I need opinions please. The site has been running for about 3-4 years, with both the za.net and co.za having a PR of 4. Would it be best to use a 301 on all the za.net pages and re-direct to co.za. Not sure if this is possible but there is always a way. Would it take longer to get my SERP's back if i moved it all to co.za? Worried about duplicate content though - but im sure if the 301 is set up properly this wont be a problem. Does the 301 also mean that my PR for my product pages will transfer from the za.net to the co.za!

Not sure - the site was down for about 4/5 days in total during the move and with the problems afterwards. Would this give it a temporary index drop? Any suggestions as to what I should be doing from here?

Thanks!
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Moving to an international host and changing your domain name are two largely unrelated matters.

You could probably have moved your .co.za domain to an international host with negligible effect.

But changing your domain to a .net domain, whether hosted in South Africa or anywhere else, is an entirely different matter. It would definitely have a big effect.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

The za.net is obviously being treated as a generic tld, despite the za bit. So, the geo-location of the server IP address will probably be used to determine Google country - I assume your new hosting server is in Germany. co.za in contrast is treated as South Africa irrespective of where it is hosted.
    Sussex Barn Dance
    The Hokey Cokey - is that really what it's all about?
  7. No Profile Picture

Hmmmm for some reason i have lost all my posts? Thats odd...starting from scratch again?

Anyways....thanks John. Yeah it was moved to Germany. And yes seems as if it is being decided by the location instead of the extension!

So need to look into fixing this. Sould I 301 direct all my za.net pages co.za and make the co.za the main site and the za.net the parked domain? - dont think it would take too long to index as my one .co.za page (parked domain) is visited almost on a daily basis by google. Do you think it would hurt my site in any way if the 301 was done properly and how long you do think it would take to rank in the engines again?

Thanks guys
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Yes, use .co.za as the primary and park the .za.net. That would be the best thing to do. Your rankings in google.co.za should then eventually recover. It was the combination ofthe move to Germany plus the use of a non country specific TLD that cause the problem in the first place. Hope you get you places back .
    Derryt
  11. No Profile Picture

Oooh dear!

Done - but now i have a problem!

Left the co.za as a parked domain - then copied the site into a folder and changed the document root for the za.net domain.

Now I am setting up the 301 redirect from the za.net to the co.za!

Everything seems fine - ngrcomputers.za.net goes to ngrcomputers.co.za perfectly. All my category pages are perfect, tested them with the seochat.com redirect checker.

Problem comes in with my products. ie.
    Results for: http://www.ngrcomputers.za.net/ gigabyte-k8vm800m-k8m800-8237-fsb800-integrated-p-460.html
    Either http://www.ngrcomputers.za.net/ gigabyte-k8vm800m-k8m800-8237-fsb800-integrated-p-460.html is NOT REDIRECTING to any URL or the redirect is NOT SEARCH ENGINE FRIENDLY.
    After further investigation! ie site:www.ngrcomputers.za.net

GIGABYTE K8VM800M VIA K8M800 + 8237 AMD K8 FSB800 Integrated MB ...GIGABYTE K8VM800M VIA K8M800 + 8237 AMD K8 FSB800 Integrated MB only at NGR Computers Online Webstore - It's never been easier or cheaper to browse and buy ...
    www.ngrcomputers.za.net/ gigabyte-k8vm800m-k8m800-8237-fsb800-integrated-p-460.html
    There is a space behind the www.ngrcomputers.za.net/ blahblah! If i take the space away ie. ngrcomputers.za.net/blahblah the re-direct is working perfectly.

Wondering if this isnt why i was dropped from the co.za in the first place now. When moving hosts I obviously made a boo boo somewhere.

Problem now - how to fix?

This is what i have in the .htaccess file:
    Options +FollowSymLinks
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase //
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.ngrcomputers.co.za/$1 [R=301,L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)-p-(.*).html$ product_info.php?products_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
    RewriteRule ^(.*)-c-(.*).html$ index.php?cPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
    RewriteRule ^(.*)-m-(.*).html$ index.php?manufacturers_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}
    how do i pick up the spaces so the re-direct works. Now sure where to start here?

Thanks
  13. No Profile Picture

Hmmmm ok maybe that was a silly post!

If i check my listings - here are a few examples

GIGABYTE K8NF939 nForce4 4X Socket 939 AMD K8 FSB800 discrete M ...GIGABYTE K8NF939 nForce4 4X Socket 939 AMD K8 FSB800 discrete M only at NGR Computers Online Webstore - It's never been easier or cheaper to browse and buy ...
    www.ngrcomputers.za.net/ gigabyte-k8nf939-nforce4-socket-fsb800-discrete-p-1409.html - 40k - Cached - Similar pages

TOSHIBA TW300 Projector - DLP Technology, 1024 x 768 Resolution ...TOSHIBA TW300 Projector - DLP Technology, 1024 x 768 Resolution only at NGR Computers Online Webstore - It's never been easier or cheaper to browse and buy ...
    www.ngrcomputers.za.net/ toshiba-tw300-projector-technology-1024-resolution-p-2389.html - 35k - Cached - Similar pages

Creative Inspire T3030 - 2.1 Channel Speaker System - NGR ...Creative Inspire T3030 - 2.1 Channel Speaker System only at NGR Computers Online Webstore - It's never been easier or cheaper to browse and buy all your ...
    www.ngrcomputers.za.net/ creative-inspire-t3030-channel-speaker-system-p-2900.html - 38k - Cached - Similar pages
    There is a space after the / in the domain name. Now if I hover over the link to click the link there is no space. Is this just the way google shows the links or is it IE automatically picking up space and removing it when you click?

Strange... so alot of other sites are listed the same way. But alot are not.