Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Mobile or Not Here we Come.

Google is making changes, make sure your web site is mobile ready.
    Googles latest

read more here
    Last edited by Test-ok; Feb 27th, 2015 at 02:22 PM.
  3. Dinosaur

Phew, so my last 6 months efforts have not been in vain then LOL
    Last edited by Chedders; Feb 28th, 2015 at 01:27 AM.
  5. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I invested in redesigning my site to be responsive because my users were complaining it was unusable on a mobile device... NOT because of Google... Just saying

Comments on this post

• alexandersim agrees
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  7. Just a Photographer
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I changed all of the sites I maintain to a responsive platform about 1.5 years ago....and I don't even own a mobile device. I figured that everybody else uses them, so I may as well switch now.
    - Mike

Jack of all trades, master of none.
  9. SEO Since 97

Watching traffic from a few of my clients sites, more than 50 percent of the traffic is mobile. The world is a changin.
  11. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Watching traffic from a few of my clients sites, more than 50 percent of the traffic is mobile. The world is a changin.
    It is interesting sure but with my largest 3rd party customer doing b2b sales mobile is but 3.98% of sales receipts. Add in tablets (according to Google Analytics those are not mobile) that increases to 13%.

That is indeed a large number of sales receipts but what is Google actually claiming is mobile?

Only cell phones?

On the fence here, myself.
  13. Digital Marketing

"Starting April 21, we will be expanding our use of mobile-friendliness as a ranking signal. This change will affect mobile searches in all languages worldwide and will have a significant impact in our search results."

So I think it's important to be mobile friendly if your visitors are searching for your services on a mobile device. Like Rod said I have b2b clients that are around 5% mobile. I also have a trendy restaurant that is 65% mobile. Any of my clients that get any amount of traffic from mobile devices have been mobile friendly for years.
  15. Dinosaur

Sorry Kernel, people using things like wordpress ya maybe they have been mobile friendly for a while now but those of us who write bespoke sites from scratch its not been the case.
    I personally started converting about 6 months ago, it takes time as its not just a case of slapping a new theme on top.

Maybe poor forward planning my my part I agree but as I saw mobile traffic increasing I took the plunge and started redesigning
  17. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by Chedders
    Sorry Kernel, people using things like wordpress ya maybe they have been mobile friendly for a while now but those of us who write bespoke sites from scratch its not been the case.
    We switched to WordPress 5 years ago. It was a good move.
    I personally started converting about 6 months ago, it takes time as its not just a case of slapping a new theme on top.

Maybe poor forward planning my my part I agree but as I saw mobile traffic increasing I took the plunge and started redesigning
    You didn't see mobile traffic increasing until 6 months ago?
  19. Dinosaur

Significant increases I should have said , depending on the site they currently run between 20% and 40% now but it wont be long before the majority are mobile users.
    Unfortunately I would love to switch to something like WP but the demands of these sites don't allow such a generic system unless I want to get into the nuts and bolts of WP and recode big chunks of it to add functionality. Plus I don't use PHP so the learning curve would be huge.

Its interesting though the B2B sites are lower than the B2C and its the B2B sites where the most money is which is why I was so slow on the uptake with this one.
  21. SEO Since 97

Here's one sites stats.
    untitled2.jpg
  23. Dinosaur

Site 1
    desktop (63.93%)
    mobile (24.01%)
    tablet (12.05%)

Site 2
    desktop (81.45%)
    mobile (13.01%)
    tablet (5.54%)

Site 3
    desktop (76.52%)
    mobile (15.40%)
    tablet (8.08%)

Personally I tend to combine mobile and tablet figures as both devices are mobile in my eyes.
    Last edited by Chedders; Feb 28th, 2015 at 04:38 PM.
  25. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Chedders
    Personally I tend to combine mobile and tablet figures as both devices are mobile in my eyes.
    It does not matter how you see it, if Google does not see tablets as mobile their ranked results will be different than you preceived ideals.

It would be foolish for Google to class tablets as mobile but not in Google Analytics.
    Last edited by fathom; Mar 3rd, 2015 at 11:22 PM.
  27. SEO Since 97

I've seen many in different forums who need a redesign to get mobile compliant..so I'll pass on a bit of information I've found.

For those who have a site that is not mobile compliant and don't want a redesign you can try dudamobile
    It's a monthly charge and it'll have the (m.[DomainName]) which is a fairly easy out unless you're ready for a redesign.

For WordPress sites I've found a nice plug-in called WPtouch the free one will get your site compliant but the pro version is really slick, makes for a good looking mobile version of your site and fairly easy to program.
  29. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    I've seen many in different forums who need a redesign to get mobile compliant..so I'll pass on a bit of information I've found.

For those who have a site that is not mobile compliant and don't want a redesign you can try dudamobile
    It's a monthly charge and it'll have the (m.[DomainName]) which is a fairly easy out unless you're ready for a redesign.

For WordPress sites I've found a nice plug-in called WPtouch the free one will get your site compliant but the pro version is really slick, makes for a good looking mobile version of your site and fairly easy to program.
    test-ok - I'm sitting this one out until after Google launches.

In theory, my client's sites should take a hit of 13% loses at the low end to 33.8% loses at the high end... that's assuming tablets are also mobile devices where if they are not (according to Analytics they are not) that knocks 5-12% percentage points off... but taking any action is advance of the algorithm launch means you can't compare the before and after.

However knowing that difference is invaluable to providing SEO services.

I learned with PENGUIN having a network (that was given to me) that took a hit advanced my knowledge of how PENGUIN 1.0 worked beyond what you could tell from a single website. Every single site recovered on the first refresh but none were getting unnatural links they were all offering unnatural links.

In theory, you could simply make matters worse by jumping the gun without knowing precisely what the gun does.
    Last edited by fathom; Mar 20th, 2015 at 05:34 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: