1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Misleading customer data in Google Analytics

I've recently stumbled across a problem in analytics which may be growing and wondering if there was a sticky plaster solution anyone had come across.

Basically Analytics (and Adwords) can keep track of visitors coming from the same IP address over several weeks. The idea is to show you how one click on an advert might deliver you far more than you think.

I noticed one click from one advert seemed to deliver an awful lot of business over several weeks and mentioned it to my Google rep during our monthly chat. She assured me it was the same customer. So I sniffed around in User Explorer to track the person down and tie them to the sales.

It turns out all the sales were not related, they were all different customers all across the US but they all had the same IP number.

From what I have been able to uncover this is an increasing problem because many providers of mobile routers push all their users through one IP. This doesn't have to be truly mobile as in Smartphone. I have a USB router for my laptop when I'm on the move and it turns out this does the same thing.

Anyone found a hack for this?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Doodled I am not an Adwords guru .. I generally farm this work out to Pros way better than me .... since this does not explicitly deal with adwords I feel ok responding to you.

If you can get the mac address of the visitor it might / would be possible. This will only work with IPv6 and not Ipv4.

This may prove useful >>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6#Address_Format

This may also prove useful >>> https://superuser.com/questions/2436...hen-using-ipv6

It talks about how to block this information out of the packet.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

The only way you would be able to sort this is to set your own cookie on a machine and then detect if it is still there. You might be able to sniff something from the physical machine to tie it down to the physical machine.

But even if you did this, it would be hard to really tie it to the sales event.

Issue is Google is being hampered by privacy laws and if people don't want Google to collect data, they can 'opt' out. For the best part of a decade now its been getting worse.

I probably would try and focus on the data you can work with.
  7. Contributing User

Partly true I think Toxitalk but it looks more like Google is dropping its cookies in the wrong place and so sees repeat customers where there are none. Trying to exclude that data every time you want to do analysis is going to be tricky ....
  9. Contributing User

Thanks KnowOneSpecial but I think my first attempt is to see if Google can make its data workable. We do a shed load of PPC work and now that I've spotted this I see it as an error which is affecting multiple accounts. I have a Google Adwords rep that I bang heads with once a month so I'll see if she can dig any deeper....
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

The other thing that comes to mind if you use something like CloudFlare, what will happen is that these sorts of services will route all traffic though a single ip.

With CloudFlare you can rig it so it still records as the visitor ip rather than the CloudFlare one (With one client who has a WordPress site, this was happening by default..).

If it is that (or service like), then it might be worth chatting to the service as you wont be the first to raise this issue.