1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Migrating Traffic ?!

Hi,

I hope you can help me on understanding this question of mine. I thank you in advance. Here is the situation:

1. I'm currently building a website for a company X with the domain lets say domainDOTsomething
    2. Recentely a company Y with good search ranks and statistics for their website offered their website for my aquisition secondDomainDOTsomething

Question: Is it possible, to alocate website/domain Y on my server being and create a subdomain for my new website with domain X and still, keep the traffic and Google rank/optimisation from website Y? Or in order to keep website Y traffic and Optimisation I have to keep it exactly like it is?

Thank you very much for your help. If I can explain it any other way let me know.
    Basiclly the goal is to have the new website with the new domain which is mandatory and keep the other one "inside" this new one with all the traffic it generates already.

Thanks

Pedro
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wow, that is a tough one. Our company operates multiple websites too and some of them also overlap in their offerings which is tough. Based on our experiences, I would only really focus on SEO on one major site. It's why wayfair and hayneedle were born essentially because today the mother ship site is where it is at.

For your case, I would just rebuild the site you bought that has all the links and rankings and make sure the URL's stay the same or that you 301 redirect all the old pages over to new comparable pages. This will give you your best chance at ranking well quickly and then you can have your nice new redesigned site too. My guess is you want to keep making money off the site you bought though and have a different name and thus need the new site and new url. Is that the case?
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If you use a subdomain it will not be much different from running a separate site.

Instead, run the acquired site for long enough to understand the traffic flow and its income potential. It may be the more valuable site.

If you do merge, do it carefully by redirecting related pages and keeping all of the content on a single domain (not a subdomain).
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  7. No Profile Picture

Thank you very much for your answers.

Bigkurty, that's exactly the case, wanna keep the income from the bought one but the company name in from has to be from the new site/domain.

Independently of the old one being more valueble the new is mandatory since it's the "authority" and the brand that gives the name and sells - the old one just generates a lot of traffic from the same segment.

The goal was to combine the traffic and content from the old one to the brand name of the new one.

Thank you both for your answers.