1. GoogleCertifiedAdwordsPro
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Meta tags character limit for Mobile site??

Hi All,

Any idea how many characters we can use for optimizing a page in mobile website(e.g. www.abc.mobi).
    Characterd used in title tag and meta description tag?

Thanks in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I have not come across any difference in character limit of meta tags... neither in Google's guidelines not in any other search engine's guidelines.

I really don't think character limit is different for mobile and desktop versions of a website.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Use in Title tag maximum 65 char. and use Description tag 150 to 220 char
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by tomhanks
    Hi All,

Any idea how many characters we can use for optimizing a page in mobile website(e.g. www.abc.mobi).
    Characterd used in title tag and meta description tag?

Thanks in advance.
    I guess it doesn't make any difference. In Google your title tag must be 60 Characters and for description it must be 160 characters every search engine have their own limits.
  9. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

colour me crazy but I swear its 70 characters for a title?.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  11. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I couldn't find any info' online, but after a quick look, it looks like Google shows exactly the same info' for mobile and non-mobile 'sites.

Re: Titles:
    The "limit" everyone talks about is simply the limit on the number of characters displayed in their search results (which is somewhere around 65-70... the most cited number is 66, but I think they cut off at the end of the last complete word before 70 Chrctrs).

Your title can have more characters than that and Google will "read" them all, and recognise searches for snippets of the title from beyond the 70 Chrctrs... they just dont show up in the title diplayed in the SERPS.

SEO experts generally agree that less is more when optimising for KW's/phrases used in the title element (is not - strictly speaking - a title tag), but the fact is that the "66-70 Chrctr Limit" is for display purposes, not for optimization purposes.

Note: I know this because I have seen a test that proved it, although it was a few years ago. If it matters to you test it yourself, (it's obviously a very simple test).

Re: Meta-Descriptions:
    They play no part in SEO, but again, it seems like the "limit" is the same as non-mobile 'sites.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]