1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Merging 2 websites, will it hurt rankings?

I have a main website for my contractor service. I then have a second website (with it's own domain) for a specific service that I do. That second website isn't doing so well, it needs a lot of work and I don't have the budget right now to pay for SEO on it in addition to my main website.

Now after reading another thread it seems as if having my phone number on two different websites might be hurting my rankings.

So what if I just killed the second website and had the domain redirect to the main website? I could redirect it to a page on the main website that is specific to the service. Would that hurt my rankings?

THis would stop me from having to put the work into the second website to make it nice, pay for SEO for it, and stop any issue with the phone number being on multiple sites.

Yay or neh?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I've done a bit of research on this and I am still not sure. A lot of the threads I found discussing it are from many years ago and I'm afraid things have changed.

The domain name for the secondary site is on a lot of my existing yard signs, fliers, and brochures so I would like to keep it active. It seems like the easiest way is to just 301 redirect that domain name to my company website, but I want to make sure that it won't cause any problems first.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Contra,

Great question.

1) I agree that it's not a good use of your time, budget and resources to be maintaining 2 sites at once. You should focus on just one for the near future - I'm assuming you'll stick with the "main" domain for your contractor services.

2) You should only redirect the 2nd domain if you are confident that there are no issues/headaches associated with the site. These days, that specifically means a risky backlink profile, with lots of low-quality links that create risk for the domain or have gotten it penalized already (via algorithmic updates like Penguin OR manual actions). Because you described the 2nd site as not having had a lot of work put into it, I don't think that much SEO, risky or not, has been done on it, but you should always double check. If you can, do a quick scan of your backlinks, either from WMT or whatever 3rd party tool/service you might user. Look for evidence of low-quality links that are pointing to the 2nd domain. If you are unsure of what is and isn't a quality link, there are multiple threads and stickys on this forum on the topic of Penguin, manual actions and problematic link profiles.

3) Assuming the backlink scan comes back clean, you can 301 redirect the entire 2nd domain to the relevant service page on the main contractor site. This should "consolidate" the sites and allow you to keep using the 2nd sites name on existing signage and brochures.

Do your backlink checks and if anything weird comes up, drop another question on the forums here. If nothing is out of place, so to speak, do the redirect across the entire domain and be sure it's a 301, not a 302.

Best of luck, hope that helps!

Comments on this post

• Contra agrees : thanks!