1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Maybe you can help me figure this out

As some of you know I sell Playboy back issues on my website www.usedissues.com many of you have been giving me some good advice and I really appreciate it.

I have 2 main competitors and the bad news is they come up 1 and 2 on searches in Google when you search "Playboy magazines" and "Playboy back issues"

These are not paid ads and for the life of me I can't figure out what they have that Google likes that I don't have.

their links are

www.justmensmags.com

www.usedmagazines.com/titles/Playboy

As always thanks in advance

Ron
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

www.just mens mags.com
    PR3
    Better than average SEO
    Low links, but high quality
    DMOZ listing
    Wikipedia listing
    5 Years old

www.used maga zines.com /title s/Playboy
    PR4
    Poor SEO
    Low links, some high quality
    DMOZ listing
    Wikipedia listing
    8 Years old

Hope this helps. You might go after some Wiki love. Work hard on your backlinks and optimization. You cannot get in DMOZ yet, have to be a year old. You inner pages will be your strength, kill them with your seo from your product pages... theirs has pretty much been ignored. The more hooks with worms, the more fish you can catch...Your site is not only about your main page.

--Melanie

Comments on this post

• raz agrees : Great response.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by mprough
    www.just mens mags.com
    PR3
    Better than average SEO
    Low links, but high quality
    DMOZ listing
    Wikipedia listing
    5 Years old

www.used maga zines.com /title s/Playboy
    PR4
    Poor SEO
    Low links, some high quality
    DMOZ listing
    Wikipedia listing
    8 Years old

Hope this helps. You might go after some Wiki love. Work hard on your backlinks and optimization. You cannot get in DMOZ yet, have to be a year old. You inner pages will be your strength, kill them with your seo from your product pages... theirs has pretty much been ignored. The more hooks with worms, the more fish you can catch...Your site is not only about your main page.

--Melanie

Thanks a lot Melanie,

I am so new to the SEO stuff, I know when I check my SEO I get this

Website Title: Playboy Magazines
    Title Relevancy 100%
    Meta Description: Used issues.com sells Playboy magazines,most of the Playboy magazines are $4.00 each.
    Description Relevancy: 90% relevant.
    AboutUs: Wiki article on Usedissues.com
    SEO Score: 81%
    Terms: 267 (Unique: 135, Linked: 44)
    Links: 33 (Internal: 28, Outbound: 4)

When you say "You inner pages will be your strength, kill them with your seo from your product pages.."
    Can you please explan on that a little and please remember this is all greek to me so please be as basic as possible.

Thanks again

Ron
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Ron,

You need to start doing the things that you need to do first.

Have you done the re-directs that you were told to do?
    I don't see them.
    Have you started working on your internal link building?
    I didn't check.
    Have you done any link building?
    Yahoo! doesn’t show any! Forum links from two forums about SEO and one from a site about Lawn Mowers add up to only three irrelevant links.

Have you added content by writing some reviews of back issues and created internal links?

Start working. And keep on reading...

raz
    #include <Cognac.h> -The only code I know How to Write!
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by raz
    Ron,

You need to start doing the things that you need to do first.

Have you done the re-directs that you were told to do?
    I don't see them.
    Have you started working on your internal link building?
    I didn't check.
    Have you done any link building?
    Yahoo! doesn’t show any! Forum links from two forums about SEO and one from a site about Lawn Mowers add up to only three irrelevant links.

Have you added content by writing some reviews of back issues and created internal links?

Start working. And keep on reading...

raz
    raz,

I appreciate your help but it sounds to me you are starting to get irritated with me, if that is the case please ignore my posts. You have to remember that different people have different knowledge levels of html,php,web design in general. I know enough to get me in trouble and now I am trying to learn SEO.

I am the kind of person that I can read something 30 times and sometimes won't get it but have someone explain it to me and I get it right away.

You have suggested some things to do, you listed them in the above post. Did you ever think that maybe I don't know how to do everything you suggested, so I have to learn that stuff to.

I know I have to do a lot and I am trying my best but we all learn different. If you noticed when someone tells me to do something I don't know how to do I ask for a example ? that helps me a great deal.

Once again I appreciate your help but if I am irritating you just ignore me ok?

Ron
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Ron,

No irritation suggested or implied.
    You are where every one of us has been...
    What I am suggesting though is to start with the concepts one at a time and keep reading the forums and your skills with get honed in as you'll read about everyone else’s challenges and successes you'll get more encouraged as oppose to getting discouraged by the volume of material.

raz
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by raz
    Ron,

No irritation suggested or implied.
    You are where every one of us has been...
    What I am suggesting though is to start with the concepts one at a time and keep reading the forums and your skills with get honed in as you'll read about everyone else’s challenges and successes you'll get more encouraged as oppose to getting discouraged by the volume of material.

raz
    If I have the knowledge I would share it not just tell people to read.... I would explain in detail how to do the things I suggest but that is just me..
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

HI e_a_g_l_e_p_i

I haven't checked out your site as sods law my misses will walk in and tear me a new one. Try this, if you still need help with rewriting let me know, obviously I'm busy and can't do them all but I'll talk you through it if I have time. I would need a URL and the one you want it to show up as, if you are having difficulties.

I do a rewrite by rewriting the URL's in the .htaccess file and then 301'ing them onpage, there are other ways but I just find it easier that way

Right to rewrite

www.usedissues.com/mags.php?mag=playboy

and you want it to show as this in the address bar

site.com/playboy-mags/

you will need to access your .htaccess file. Either open it in notepad or a WUSIWYG editor. If you don't have a .htaccess file just create a simple file and call it .htaccess and load it to your main dir.

in that file you have to
    1. turn on the RewriteEngine to do that simply put

RewriteEngine on

secondly you need to change the code. So write this -

RewriteRule ^playboy-mags/$ mags.php?mag=playboy [L]

Thats all there is to it
    right heres the code explained -
    RewriteRule = lets you rewrite the url by mapping it to the actually url
    ^ = anchors the text, this is the start point thats all you need to know
    playboy-mags/ = this is the url you want to show up in the address bar
    $ = marks the end of the new url
    mags.php?mag=playboy = the url that it should map to, so if playboy-mags/ is asked for the server will know the actual file is mags.php?mag=playboy.

However if some one types in either address they will still both show the same page. if someone links to both then you will have 2 separate pages that both contain the same content and you will get penalized for dup. content. So you need to re-direct via a 301 to do this there are several ways you could just write [R=301,L] at the end of the above statement instead of [L]

However I use PHP code on each page as follows.

if('http://www.usedissues.com'.$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] != 'http://www.usedissues.com/playboy-mags/')
    {
    header('HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently');
    header('Location: http://www.usedissues.com/playboy-mags/');
    exit();
    }
    this is pretty self explanatory
    1. if('http://www.usedissues.com'.$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] != 'http://www.usedissues.com/playboy-mags/') = if the URL does not = this URL do the code in the {} if it does ignore the code in {}

2. header('HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently');
    this will re-direct the server to http://www.usedissues.com/playboy-mags/ and as the .htaccess file says that the content at this address is mapped to www.usedissues.com/mags.php?mag=playboy it will load the same page however this time the IF statement will equal true and the page will load properly. This is done very quickly and with no user input.

3 .exit(); this stops the page from loading further and redirects it to the URL in the header Location statement.

I'm the same, sort of, with picking up code. If you do have an issue please try a few times before asking me as I can be rather busy at times and it could be a week or 2 before I get round to answering, No offense but you wouldn't be top priority sorry

hope this helps.

Jaza
    Last edited by jazajay; Sep 23rd, 2007 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling
  17. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It sounds like you are doing great and have a chance to do even better.

Originally Posted by e_a_g_l_e_p_i
    If I have the knowledge I would share it not just tell people to read.... I would explain in detail how to do the things I suggest but that is just me..
    We tell people to read a lot because it would take forever to explain in all of the detail that is needed. We are glad to give a little advice for free but if a lot of time is needed then we are better off writing that content for our own sites.

It sounds like you are solving many of your needs. I can do that too, but like you there are a few technical things that I don't know or would rather pay someone who will not screw them up like I might.

Consider that as an option if you are not getting complete resolution here for free. I do it a lot and it is worth far more that the cost.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by EGOL
    It sounds like you are doing great and have a chance to do even better.

We tell people to read a lot because it would take forever to explain in all of the detail that is needed. We are glad to give a little advice for free but if a lot of time is needed then we are better off writing that content for our own sites.

It sounds like you are solving many of your needs. I can do that too, but like you there are a few technical things that I don't know or would rather pay someone who will not screw them up like I might.

Consider that as an option if you are not getting complete resolution here for free. I do it a lot and it is worth far more that the cost.
    Can you suggest someone that will do it for a fee?
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by jazajay
    HI e_a_g_l_e_p_i

I haven't checked out your site as sods law my misses will walk in and tear me a new one. Try this, if you still need help with rewriting let me know, obviously I'm busy and can't do them all but I'll talk you through it if I have time. I would need a URL and the one you want it to show up as, if you are having difficulties.

I do a rewrite by rewriting the URL's in the .htaccess file and then 301'ing them onpage, there are other ways but I just find it easier that way

Right to rewrite

www.usedissues.com/mags.php?mag=playboy

and you want it to show as this in the address bar

site.com/playboy-mags/

you will need to access your .htaccess file. Either open it in notepad or a WUSIWYG editor. If you don't have a .htaccess file just create a simple file and call it .htaccess and load it to your main dir.

in that file you have to
    1. turn on the RewriteEngine to do that simply put

RewriteEngine on

secondly you need to change the code. So write this -

RewriteRule ^playboy-mags/$ mags.php?mag=playboy [L]

Thats all there is to it
    right heres the code explained -
    RewriteRule = lets you rewrite the url by mapping it to the actually url
    ^ = anchors the text, this is the start point thats all you need to know
    playboy-mags/ = this is the url you want to show up in the address bar
    $ = marks the end of the new url
    mags.php?mag=playboy = the url that it should map to, so if playboy-mags/ is asked for the server will know the actual file is mags.php?mag=playboy.

However if some one types in either address they will still both show the same page. if someone links to both then you will have 2 separate pages that both contain the same content and you will get penalized for dup. content. So you need to re-direct via a 301 to do this there are several ways you could just write [R=301,L] at the end of the above statement instead of [L]

However I use PHP code on each page as follows.

if('http://www.usedissues.com'.$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] != 'http://www.usedissues.com/playboy-mags/')
    {
    header('HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently');
    exit();
    }
    this is pretty self explanatory
    1. if('http://www.usedissues.com'.$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] != 'http://www.usedissues.com/playboy-mags/') = if the URL does not = this URL do the code in the {} if it does ignore the code in {}

2. header('HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently');
    this will re-direct the server to http://www.usedissues.com/playboy-mags/ and as the .htaccess file says that the content at this address is mapped to www.usedissues.com/mags.php?mag=playboy it will load the same page however this time the IF statement will equal true and the page will load properly. This is done very quickly and with no user input.

3 .exit(); this stops the page from loading further and redirects it to the URL in the header Location statement.

I'm the same, sort of, with picking up code. If you do have an issue please try a few times before asking me as I can be rather busy at times and it could be a week or 2 before I get round to answering, No offense but you wouldn't be top priority sorry

hope this helps.

Jaza
    One quick question, I have 600 products which means I have 600 url's that would need to be rewritten. MY shopping cart will support static url's soon. the reason for rewriting is to make the url's static?? if so wouldn't be much easier to wait for that feature in my cart. My site is build buy the cart rather than a website with a cart in it. my site is the cart.
  23. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

When you say "You inner pages will be your strength, kill them with your seo from your product pages.."
    Can you please explan on that a little and please remember this is all greek to me so please be as basic as possible.
    You have done a pretty good job on your main page...but you have to treat every page like your main page. Every single page can rank for it's own individual terms and phrases. Plus they bring traffic to the rest of your site as well.

--Melanie
  25. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by e_a_g_l_e_p_i
    Can you suggest someone that will do it for a fee?
    I watch the forums where I post to see a person who answers questions generously, clearly explaining in words that I understand - and who has a style that I like. I then ask them in private if they will help me. Has yielded great results. If you pick your own person rather than me recommending you will get someone you can understand well, who has a style that you like, and who has an interest in what you need to have done.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi

Yes defiantly

If your cart will do it leave it till then, if you screw it up you will be a sh*t creep without a paddle.

It would take a guy or gal knowing what they where doing about an hour or so to re-write all those URL's the one I gave was basic.

You would use regular expressions looking for patterns.

Sorry I should have added you should practice before you rewrite any URL already indexed it is very important you get it right before you use it on established URLS.