1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

many new backlinks, homepage is up in ranking, but traffic wont budge

I've added a lot of new backlinks (all incoming, different IPs) but the traffic isn't
    moving at all in one of my sites. My homepage has moved up considerably
    for a few keywords, but I still make the money on individual pages.
    I can't get backlinks for all of them, it's virtually imposible since they
    run into thousands.

It hasn't been that long since I got the links, but the front page and a few
    pages I got backlinks to have already improved...Will the homepage links
    eventually help the rest or not?

Also, does that (homepage backlinks effecting the rest) take longer? if yes,
    how long? The site is years old. Should I link as many individual products directly
    from the front page or sitewide?

thanks in advance,

it sucks because I'm trying....thinking that I'm doing the right thing, yet I see no results.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I point 60-70% of the backlinks towords home page. If the keyword for some other page is very competitive then I get links pointing towords that page. I think if the linking is good in a website, benifits of backlinks in the site would be evenly distributed. Might be some expert would give more insight.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Are you targeting the right keywords

Are you targeting the right keywords and is there a demand for your product? I do not know the answer, but my contention is you can be well placed for keywords you are seeking and still receive little traffic due to lack of demand for keywords.

With some e-commerce sites there is a certain seasonality in sales, if you track sales over a multiple years you will definitely see pattern in sales. If SERPs impove at time of year sales slow you might not notice an upswing.

Best of luck.

Shannon
    Last edited by Shannon Smyrl; Sep 19th, 2004 at 03:17 PM.
  7. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Do you mean you have a site that ranks well, but people only get as far as the home page? I'd do some serious redecorating if I were you. Why do people go there in the first place? If they can't find what they're looking for - or are hesitant or otherwise not encouraged to proceed - you should prob' be concentrating on navigation or (content) quality, whichever pains you most. Are the thousands of pages offering something to humans, or are they only there to improve ranking and to make space for ads?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I'll clarify. Basically, I'm not getting more people at all. Not even at the homepage.
    I used the homepage example to say that the incoming
    links are being seen by Google but that hasn't lifted the individual pages.

I have about 1500 or so pages, for humans and it's very relevant. I have targeted as keywords what I have on that page, no tricks.
    If the main site is for electronics, the pages are for Plasma Tvs, DVDs, Stereos etc.etc. (I use this just as an example). I
    want the people who search for Plasma Tvs to find me, yet even after all these links, I see
    no progress.

Originally Posted by Wit
    Do you mean you have a site that ranks well, but people only get as far as the home page? I'd do some serious redecorating if I were you. Why do people go there in the first place? If they can't find what they're looking for - or are hesitant or otherwise not encouraged to proceed - you should prob' be concentrating on navigation or (content) quality, whichever pains you most. Are the thousands of pages offering something to humans, or are they only there to improve ranking and to make space for ads?
  11. No Profile Picture
    I'm in supplementary hell
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If you're moving up in serps maybe your title is not enticing enough

Just having your KW may not be enough to get people to click

Whenever I search I ensure the KW is in the title AND in the description - I do move onto numbers 2,3,4 etc if I can not find those as I think - irrelevent
  13. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

leeds1 - I second that.

walkman - thx for clarifying, I was worried there for a bit ;)

if you spice up your titles, redo your desription meta tag (make it short, so it shows completely) , then you might also want to "orchestrate" the content of your pages to make sure G picks out just the right words. It takes a bit of time and lots of tweaking, but you'll notice a pattern in the way G produces snippets in the serps. If you can get these to MAKE SENSE (i.e. not consist only of spammy keywords, but real and clear sentences) you might lure more people in.

Don't overdo the spicing up, that could put people off. Think of your target group and what they would like to read. You could even ask friends to pick their fav title style from a wide selection, you know: the one they would trust and spend money on.