1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Manipulation? I think so!

A friend of mine approached me recently and asked me check out the work his SEO is doing as they are spending between £1200-£2000 a month and not really generating any business.
    After looking at the link profile i noticed the main optamisation technique being used is the creation of blogs that I could only describe as spam.

His seo company have purchased 12 kids installed a wordpress blog on every one and filled it with posts all about the company saying the same things in different ways stuffed with bold linked keywords back to the main site.
    Ie; company name build widgets, great widget red ones blue ones and fabulous widgets. We can provide any widget you may require

There is no other content on these sites other then the posts about the company which if I found through a search would instantly look like spam and push me away.

In my opinion that is manipulation as these sites are no use to any user. All though they are providing kW links back to the website and the content is sort of on topic no one is going to link into these spammy blogs, making those links pretty much worthless. Or if the competition gained one relative weighted link wipe all those blog links out the water.

In my opinion i know his industry is fast and interesting I have advised, instead of wasting time with such spammy techniques they should be creating great content to their clients and industry, along with developing software and tools that would be of use. They also have the ability to run great competitions and create a bit of a buz online and viral. The lists of possibilities is endless with a bit of creativity although a slower process a more solid one .

Another thought I had is if your competition spot this and thinks you are trying to manipulate the serps you could be reported to Google and as the content is worthless and purley been created just to generate a links you run the risks of causing problems?
    I have been working in web design for 8 months now so I have been learning and practising SEO for little while now.

I would like to hear from others, do you agree with me, or not, do you think this is valuable Seo ?
  3. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

This is one of the new "hot" SEO ideas. Make a lot of blogs on various hosts (so you get IP diversity), make a bunch of SEO posts with links, keywords, etc, and then sit back.

Does it work? Yes.
    Is it good SEO? Debatable.

I tend towards the "no" category. First, you're effectively buying links. With the diverse IP structure it makes it harder for Google to know randomdomainx.com is linked to yourgooddomain.com but Google tends to frown on artificial things like this. To put it another way, it's a bit like reciprocal links. Yes, it can help but you run the risk that, somewhere down the road, Google figures out how to devalue it. Even if they don't, a static with no PR isn't going to be passing much PR with a one way link.
  5. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

That which provides no value can't be considered valuable. The tactics you describe are worthless at best, and harmful at worst.

You are also correct about creating great content. Great websites not only convert but also encourage great inbound links.

Originally Posted by hunter86
    A friend of mine approached me recently and asked me check out the work his SEO is doing as they are spending between £1200-£2000 a month and not really generating any business.
    After looking at the link profile i noticed the main optamisation technique being used is the creation of blogs that I could only describe as spam.

His seo company have purchased 12 kids installed a wordpress blog on every one and filled it with posts all about the company saying the same things in different ways stuffed with bold linked keywords back to the main site.
    Ie; company name build widgets, great widget red ones blue ones and fabulous widgets. We can provide any widget you may require

There is no other content on these sites other then the posts about the company which if I found through a search would instantly look like spam and push me away.

In my opinion that is manipulation as these sites are no use to any user. All though they are providing kW links back to the website and the content is sort of on topic no one is going to link into these spammy blogs, making those links pretty much worthless. Or if the competition gained one relative weighted link wipe all those blog links out the water.

In my opinion i know his industry is fast and interesting I have advised, instead of wasting time with such spammy techniques they should be creating great content to their clients and industry, along with developing software and tools that would be of use. They also have the ability to run great competitions and create a bit of a buz online and viral. The lists of possibilities is endless with a bit of creativity although a slower process a more solid one .

Another thought I had is if your competition spot this and thinks you are trying to manipulate the serps you could be reported to Google and as the content is worthless and purley been created just to generate a links you run the risks of causing problems?
    I have been working in web design for 8 months now so I have been learning and practising SEO for little while now.

I would like to hear from others, do you agree with me, or not, do you think this is valuable Seo ?
  7. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

I hope that all of my competitors start working on this today.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Okay so maybe using this to cloud your hard work, but as a main focus i think it is really poor seo and they are not getting much value. Would I be right in saying that for a competitive term or phrase this really is not going to help much? I am a fond believer in creating content and value, also i think that Google will probably become hot on this eventually in which case it is a waste of time and money. Do you think this a form manipulation or maybe lets say a grey area, or is this a totally white hat seo technique?
    I think the blogs like i have metioned do not provide any value to the WWW in which case someday google will clock on to this and devalue it.
    As google and us alike are about quality right !
  11. Contributing User

this is a very old strategy, and its funny people think its new.
  13. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

These guys are trying to manufacture link popularity by creating domains and pages with links on them. Those might be links but they will pass zero value unless they have unique links from outside of their own network of sites.

If we assume that they can get those links, this is still a waste because those links would be more valuable going straight to the domains and pages that you really want to promote.

This is a method used by people who think they are clever... and when they are selling it to others as a kickass strategy it is really hubris of the highest order.

You asked if this is "manipulation"... No... its just a dumb SEO who does not understand search engines and is going around the web ignorant that his pants are down.
    Last edited by EGOL; Nov 23rd, 2009 at 10:27 AM.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

its funny to think that if they used this time getting even a few links pointing to their domain they would find it a lot more effective.
    Follow me on Twitter for SEO tips @NickLeRoy
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I dont think it is very good at all. They have a fantastic product that is sold international to some very rich and famous people. The possibilities available to produce good content and gain related links are provided right there in front of them. They choose to create the afore mentioned blogs. I feel my friends put trust into and have been let down by this company. Shocking !!!!
  19. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by hunter86
    I dont think it is very good at all. They have a fantastic product that is sold international to some very rich and famous people. The possibilities available to produce good content and gain related links are provided right there in front of them. They choose to create the afore mentioned blogs. I feel my friends put trust into and have been let down by this company. Shocking !!!!
    It is shocking to see that someone takes to money to provide a worthless service, I agree. But equally as shocking to me are those that pay for a worthless service without doing even the slightest bit of background checking on the SEO company or gaining just a cursory knowledge of SEO themselves.

Shocking that they can even stay in business imo.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    It is shocking to see that someone takes to money to provide a worthless service, I agree. But equally as shocking to me are those that pay for a worthless service without doing even the slightest bit of background checking on the SEO company or gaining just a cursory knowledge of SEO themselves.

Shocking that they can even stay in business imo.
    I agree with you totally, i think the problem that exists here is, you find a company that has a portfolio of clients they tell you what you want to hear and explains things you donít really understand. You believe and trust them until you have reason not to.... All the time they are providing you reports, showing visitors from PPC and some useless organic searches unless you have a true understanding you assume they are doing their job.
    Which points out, that someone within in every business should have a basic understanding of SEO and what services they are buying. Not taught by your SEO provider.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This is not all they do...wait for it...... they also post the same crappy blurps allover dig, stumble,ezyspot,waggit etc there are about 2 quality (client provided) links in the whole profile of about 210 links. I even noticed they had been on to unrealted blogs and just commented every where.
  25. Extremely Googled

Originally Posted by AlexTampa
    this is a very old strategy, and its funny people think its new.
    I've only seen competitors do this recently which is why it seems to be the "in" thing to do.