Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Major SERP changes - any ideas?

Hi,

My site's been ranking OK for a number of keywords for 4 months (been up 5).

Started from a few hits per day and in November built up to about 50-60 from Google. Obviously it's the traffic period, so traffic's gone up quite a bit.

Site was re-indexed on November 30th, and traffic simply increased that day and the two following it.

On Sunday 3rd, traffic plummeted to about 1/3 of the previous Sunday. 3 hours left of today (GMT) and less than half of last week's average.

For a number of phrases, the site's gone from positions 1-5 to 150-200th when I search, but are still receiving traffic (i.e. still top on some DCs).

Either there's been a major algo change I (or nobody else) know about, Google has decided the single extra outbound link since last crawl is too much, or 150-195 other sites have improved their SEO!

So basically I'm looking for reassurance - is it all likely to go back to normal, and if so, when?

Cheers
  3. Mr. Goober Guy ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I will assume you've made no changes to your site and I don't think a single link could be drastic. Without the URL however, tough to say what may or may not be going on. Such a dramatic shift implies something or could mean absolutely nothing.

lol.. Be patient

See how things go. Give it at least a week or two before panic sets in.
    Cheerios!

New to SEO? See the FAQ!

My Disclaimer:
    Don't Listen To Me - I know nothing!
  5. Contributing
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Loads of people are reporting this on many forums... some have just flux, some nothing and other are having a nice ride in the deeper pages... usual stuff... just work on making content for a while until it settles.

Comments on this post

• raz agrees
    • rtchar agrees : Still nothing unusual with any of my sites ... just normal shifts over one or two places.
    Disclaimer : My posts on SEO are just from my observations and I do not say it is a true fact... A real fact of life is that, I'm often wrong...
  7. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Jocelyn
    Loads of people are reporting this on many forums... some have just flux, some nothing and other are having a nice ride in the deeper pages... usual stuff... just work on making content for a while until it settles.
    It's real nice to see you back here dishing out sound advice Jocelyn...

raz

Comments on this post

• rtchar agrees : Seems like a few posters are drifting back :-)
    • Visio agrees : Yeah the more the merrier!
    #include <Cognac.h> -The only code I know How to Write!
  9. SEO Elite
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

There is definately some major updating on some SERPs that has been going on for over a week now. Everyday I check certain SERPs and they are different, definately more than normal flux.
  11. No Profile Picture

i hav even noticed that google delivering less number of competition compared to yahoo for some of my keywords. this is some thing different and i think google is updating its database
  13. Contributing User

Originally Posted by stephenlewis
    i hav even noticed that google delivering less number of competition compared to yahoo for some of my keywords. this is some thing different and i think google is updating its database
    That number (Results 1 - 10 of about 8,170,000) has been jumping all over the place for a long while now. The one I pasted here is for my main keyword and it's been fluctuating between 21 million and 5 million for a long time. Ignore it!

raz
  15. No Profile Picture

u r right

i hav seen the similar fluctuations even for my keywords. i think they undergoing some algo changes or must be updating there database. More than that i have seen some people screaming that they lost all their ranking in the last 15 to 20 days. As far as i am concerned i started to comeback in SERP after a long struggle.
  17. I Never Finish Anythi
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Seems like a remake of Big Daddy..BD-2 as we say..? Huge jumps..even it seems like now google is working on various datacenters and is busy indexing/deindexing many pages.. I saw one of page indexed last night..checked it this morning.. it was out.. then again in the afternoon its there.. and then again gone.. just waiting it comes back again..engineers are busy setting DC`s before they move on to spend their holidays..

Comments on this post

• pteam agrees
    Link Diary - Build Links Fast & Easy. Similar to Linkmarket, with option of three way link exchange and anchor rotation.

**"Save SEO Industry - GO VIRAL!! - Tips and Tricks ."**
    **"Live, not just to survive, But to Rule."**
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

nowhere in SERPS.

i was in 100 for google before 2 weeks
    but suddenly i lost my renking from google, now i am nowhere in google can u plz let me know abt it.
  21. Contributing

Originally Posted by raz
    It's real nice to see you back here dishing out sound advice Jocelyn...

raz
    Hi Raz !
    I used to have more time cause I had less sites... I still pass by but only post when it ads something to the thread... nice to see you noticed my post... lol !!
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, I'm here searching for answers too. Looks like there's more in the same boat.

Our site is doing horrible in the serps, and has been around for the last 6 years. Our index page is still doing well, but our internal pages that used to do very well, are almost non-existent. I've went through and tried to optimize the internal pages, but still nothing. This has been happening for about the last month. These pages were usually on page 1 or 2 of google (most) for cetain keywords, and now like page 30 for example.

Any advice, comments, anything, is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  25. Contributing

I always see pages vanishing for a while and comeback where it was before it quit... sometimes, they leave for good and never come back. You don't need to change stuff on the site or links for this to happen... a slight change in stemming weight value used by the algo will lead to very different serps results... and that is only one of the valeus the algo use.

Had a site disapear completely for a month on the june27th data refresh, to come back stronger in july... changed nothing... just ignored the site and it came back.

Comments on this post

• gchaney agrees : Absolute best move when your site has a major flux and you're doing nothing questionable. Wait, let it settle. Be patient. Hey, you said, write content :)
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the info.
  29. No Profile Picture

Re:

Thank you all for the huge response.

Really interesting reading over everybody's recent experiences. Traffic is still down a huge amount, so all I can do is sit tight and hope for it to come back.

There have been some changes since, but according to Google's cache of the 30th, nothing other than a single link and a coupon or two more.

Couldn't have been a worse time for it to happen either - it's an affiliate site and this is the busiest 15 days of the entire year
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: