Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Question MAJOR decline in Google rankings for my e-commcerce website -- Why?

As of the last 3-4 weeks, my e-commerce website has fallen off the face of Google. It used to rank on the first page SERPs for MANY keywords. Now it cannot be found on the first 3-4 pages. When I dig deep, I am able to find pages but they are random internal pages that show up -- which I have not even worked to rank.

When I do a site search specifically for my website, Google does show my index page as being indexed. Also I checked Google Webmaster Tools and it does not say my website is penalized and there are no issued from what I can tell...

Any ideas? I am loosing a TON of revenue because of this. Any help/guidance is appreciated.
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

What have you changed? Anything? Design, content, hosts, etc?

What have you DONE to get ranked?

Are you building links, if so how/where?
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  5. Contributing User

I have not made any drastic changes. My site has been on the first page of Google for my major keywords for about 7 years. I have done all the normal SEO tasks to rank my website, as of lately I have not worked to link build but I don't think that is the reason for the massive random decline in rankings.
  7. SEO Consultant

Perhaps you could show us the URL.
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by joshz
    Perhaps you could show us the URL.
    mystethoscope com
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I have seen this a number of times on eCommerce sites and it usually boils down to one of three things:

- bad link building in the past and that juice has been removed
    - thin content
    - duplicated content

The last two are, in my opinion, unfair because for some stores there is little to write about. As someone else on this forum said, how much can you write about screws when you have 10 different types.

With duplicate content this comes from using the manufacturers description and there shouldn't be an issue with this but duplicate is duplicate.

As joshz says - show us the URL and we might be able to be more concrete....
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  13. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Your link profile look pretty inorganic so I would clearly say you have been impacted by PENGUIN.
  15. Contributing User

Originally Posted by fathom
    Your link profile look pretty inorganic so I would clearly say you have been impacted by PENGUIN.
    Do you have recommendations on how I can fix / improve my link profile?
  17. SEO Consultant

Echoing Rod.

Your links suck. You have 10K links from 600 domains. You suffered loss links recently and it looks like the links you have/had are low quality and if not being impacted by Penguin, then you're simply losing your link strength.

Offset your crap, spammy links with high quality links. I've seen more sites with massive number of links from limited domains being impacting like this recently as well.
  19. rod@missionop.com

duplicated post
    Last edited by fathom; Apr 12th, 2013 at 02:52 PM.
  21. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by bbott
    Do you have recommendations on how I can fix / improve my link profile?
    Sure... start over with a new domain is the easiest & cheapest solution if your plan is to DIY.

Your Achilles Heel is your default link destination (e.g. your homepage). You can no longer develop inorganic links targeted with your preferred anchors to that page (which, in fact, is any page that acts as your homepage).

Without professional help you are technically screwed.

Without enormous research into your current structure and words that are impacted plus building an appreciation for how LSI might help not you or anyone that may help are simply guessing... and guessing means you almost never recover and that's why starting over is best.

I wouldn't even start to provide professional assistance without a $2K retainer and a minimum of $10K to fix.
    Last edited by fathom; Apr 12th, 2013 at 02:52 PM.
  23. Contributing User

So based upon what you're telling me, you can sabotage anyone's website / business by doing external linking campaigns?
  25. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by bbott
    So based upon what you're telling me, you can sabotage anyone's website / business by doing external linking campaigns?
    Not really

If you didn't develop inorganic links to your domain no amount of inorganic links developed by others will do ****!

Thus your premise implies you developed link webspam and anyone can sabotage that... but they can more easily submit a webspam report to Google and sabotage you that way and that would be perfectly acceptable to you... yes?
  27. SEO Since 97

Google says no, but I think one could as fathom explained above. You could try to disavow the crap, and get your link profile cleaned up.
    Last edited by Test-ok; Apr 12th, 2013 at 03:22 PM.
  29. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Google says no, but I think one could as fathom explained above. You could try to disavow the crap, and get your link profile cleaned up.
    PENGUIN already did that ... there is nothing you need to do to devalued links... they are already devalued.

<added>the disavow tool is for manual reviews... of course most people with PENGUIN problem use it, then webspam report their domain to Google, and Google agrees and slaps a manual review on your domain... and now you will likely need to use it to satisfied Google's desire to not allow you to get away with any webspam</added>
    Last edited by fathom; Apr 12th, 2013 at 03:28 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: