1. Jarrod Hunt
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

ludicrous Theory Debunked - Google link: command

Hey Guys,

I have heard a lot of theories from both my clients and from forum posters that Google backlinks only show links that are passing pagerank or that are considered relevant.

This is very poor theory.

I usually dont get worked up over these sorts of things but its troubling when there is so much disinformation floating around from people that really have no idea what they are talking about.

Here are two main reasons why this theory doesnt hold up.

1. We have seen, and own, dozens of sites that only have 1 link to them, which arent showing in Google backlinks, yet the site ranks well for certain low competition terms. This shows that not every link needs to show in Google backlinks to count.

2. We have seen, and own, many sites that have a lot of links coming into them but only 1 of the links is high pagerank. The high pagerank link does not show in google backlinks yet the site has a pagerank that can only be obtained if Google was counting the high pagerank link.

3. It would be lame for Google to make it easy for us to see which links are working and which ones are not. They have not done this for a long time and they will not do it anytime in the near future. Also, We have heard several comments from Google employees that state that they are in fact not using any strategy in displaying backlinks. This is probably only a half truth.

With that being said, it does seem that there is some sorting going on in displaying backlinks.

It does look in some cases that Google is trying to display backlinks that look to be relevant. This does not mean however that those are the only links that are effecting a sites rankings and pagerank.

Here are a couple of good signs, that are reliable, in order to tell if the links pointing to your site are actually working.

1. If you have purchased or obtained a high pr link to your site and after a couple pagerank updates your site is not showing a PR improvement, its a good sign that the link is not working.

2. If you have obtained a lot of links and after about 3-6 months you have seen no movement in the serps, its a good bet that you are doing something wrong.

I think its important that people spend less time looking at backlinks and spend more time focusing on obtaining high quality, relevant links, from a lot of different I.P's

If you are lazy or broke and decide to buy 1000 links for 14.95 per month, all of which are located on a network of sites on the same I.P., or heavily interlinked, then your are setting yourself up for failure.

If you are indeed broke, then its probably a good idea for you to learn how to use Arelis or one of the other great tools out there an do some work to go out and get some quality links for yourself.

If you are just lazy, then you are probably in the wrong business anyways

Jarrod Hunt - textlinkbrokers
    Last edited by jman; Mar 9th, 2005 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling
  3. Jarrod Hunt
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

A quick Follow up.

Aaron Wall and a few others recently quoted Matt Cutts (the google developer) as saying the following from the recent SES conference.

--just because a link is shown in the link command doesn’t mean it carries any weight at all--

Which implies the opposite as well. If a link is not shown in the link command it doesnt mean that it doesnt have weight.
  5. ;-)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by jman
    A quick Follow up.

Aaron Wall and a few others recently quoted Matt Cutts (the google developer) as saying the following from the recent SES conference.

--just because a link is shown in the link command doesn’t mean it carries any weight at all--

Which implies the opposite as well. If a link is not shown in the link command it doesnt mean that it doesnt have weight.
    Links show are random.... end of IMHO... Its nice to see them go up but it don't mean much when it come to google.... I focus on good content and natural linking pattens...
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google claims to be all about the searchers. It is therefore only logical to assume that what is shown with the link: command is meant to be useful for a searcher, not specifically to tell a webmaster how many backlinks he has.

Definitely all links count, some perhaps more than others, but that is not the way they are ranked or reported with the link: command.

You just need as many links as possible, and preferably from the right places.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by gabs
    Links show are random.... end of IMHO... Its nice to see them go up but it don't mean much when it come to google.... I focus on good content and natural linking pattens...
    I agree with all of the above.
    Since last BL update, G* does not show my BLs from Yahoo Directory or DEMOZ. They are both there and I am sure G* is not suggesting that they are not important. It simply does not show them.
    raz
    #include <Cognac.h> -The only code I know How to Write!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

all links shown in link command are used for rankig the search results. Otherwise google doesn't have to waste space to store those links. I was under the impression that links shown in link command are less valuable than the links that aren't shown 'casue don't want to SEO to manipulate the SERPs.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by dejaone
    I was under the impression that links shown in link command are less valuable than the links that aren't shown 'casue don't want to SEO to manipulate the SERPs.
    Do you have evidence for this impression, or is it just an opinion?

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO