1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Lower Searched Key Terms Ranking Since Being Penalised

I recently had a friend ask if I could do the SEO on his website because the old SEO company got him done for spam and his website vanished for his major key terms.

Having done a little research his links to his website for a mess and copied content was everywhere across the internet.

I did notice that lower searched keywords were still ranking on page 1. Is this normal? If so is it to do with the competitiveness? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by bigdog1086
    I recently had a friend ask if I could do the SEO on his website because the old SEO company got him done for spam and his website vanished for his major key terms.

Having done a little research his links to his website for a mess and copied content was everywhere across the internet.

I did notice that lower searched keywords were still ranking on page 1. Is this normal? If so is it to do with the competitiveness? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Google manually and via algorithm take a host different actions - manifesting in different ways:

Example #1
    An indexed site with no links could rank #1 for "My favourite ways to cut my hair with a hedge trimmer", but not "hair cuts". After getting powerful links he could rank #1 for both terms. Google could 'distrust' all his links because of extremely suspicious patters - and he'd rank as before (Drop drastically for "hair cuts" and be #1 for "My favourite ways to cut my hair with a hedge trimmer" because it wasn't dependent on links - only the fact he had an obscure term contained on his page.

Example #2
    He might only have been 'filtered' for specific terms that were abused:
    If he had a lot of links for 'Cycle Helmets' for example, the terms 'Cycle Helmets', 'Blue Cycle Helmets', 'Cheap Cycle Helmets', 'Cycle Helmets Orange' may all be affected, whereas anything to do with 'Bicycle Head Protection' could rank perfectly as before - not just because it's less competitive, but because there are no pattern of dodgy links connected with that term.

The most given response on the forum is, without doubt... "did he get a message in his webmaster tools?"

Ps. By 'Hair Cuts' I mean getting the stuff on your head trimmed - as opposed to the 'head of webspam at google.de'.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Belfast
    The most given response on the forum is, without doubt... "did he get a message in his webmaster tools?"
    Essentially the website was attacked and this was why it was done for spam. We never received anything in the webmaster which was quite surprising considering we found literally thousands of links to the website that had been done by someone else.

It has been probably 6 months now since the website disappeared but these little key words still rank on the front page and I just wondered the reasons why.

We have endlessly submitted the website back to Google and they reply with "no manual spam actions have been found". Just a little confusing.
  7. Contributing User

Originally Posted by bigdog1086
    It has been probably 6 months now since the website disappeared but these little key words still rank on the front page and I just wondered the reasons why.

We have endlessly submitted the website back to Google and they reply with "no manual spam actions have been found". Just a little confusing.
    it could be that the website was ranking before because of all of those links, but google has now devalued them so the site isn't getting the link juice it once was.