1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Lost A Ton Of Click Traffic And Half Of My Keyword Rankings After A Site Migration

I migrated a site recently and thought I did everything right but lost half of my click traffic and according to ahrefs I am not ranking for half of the keywords I used to rank for (14,000 to 7.000).

Our migration involved moving a site from one platform to a new one. Nothing changed, the site still sells the same products. Only the URL paths should have changed. We copied over all the content and wrote 301 redirects to tell google what the new page was.

It seems google is seeing the new URL paths as brand new pages instead of replacing the old ones and I want to know what I did wrong or how I can reverse this problem?

*For more info, our GSC traffic has dropped, but analytics is showing a steady, unchanged, stream of organic traffic. We did not lose any backlinks or referring domains that would be out of the ordinary.

Any help would be much appreciated!
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Migrating a site can be a difficult process. Easy to lose traffic, and rankings if you make a single miss-step in the process.

Since you didn't provide the previous domain name nor the new current domain name it be difficult at best to point at any one thing that you did incorrectly or missed.

With that said....

Originally Posted by bbrand
    We did not lose any backlinks or referring domains that would be out of the ordinary.
    What does this mean, "we didn't lose any backlinks out of the ordinary". If you lost even one backlink due to the migration, then you did it wrong. If you lost one, then you probably lost more.

Do a thorough backlink check, not so much to see if they are good or bad, but to make sure all backlinks get passed to the new urls. You don't have to check each explicit backlink, meaning if you have 1000 links to a specific page you only need to check one of those links to see if it gets redirected to the new site url.

I have worked on a few migrations after the fact, and the one thing most had in common was omitted backlinks. I would bet you missed some links.

Another issues could be you sent some old pages to inappropriate pages, meaning you may have sent old pages to the home page. We caution folks not to just redirect old urls to the new home page.

The other thing is you didn't mention the dates that you migrated the site. The reason I am mentioning the date, Google just releases a broad core update March 12th. It could possibly be coincidence that your migration and the update occurred at the same time. Therefore you could be suffering from the update and the migration was actually successful.

My advice is hire a troubleshooter and have them go thru the sites with a fine tooth comb so to speak. Do it sooner rather than later, because the longer you let this continue without resolution, the harder it is going to be to recover.
    If you have never failed in your life, you have never achieved anything Noteworthy !
  5. No Profile Picture

The domain name did not change. Only the URL paths to the pages changed.

Regarding back links, we loose and gain back links every day due to the size of the site. Pages will add or drop links every day. We have thousands of back links and 900 referring domains.

We created a fall back system to catch any URL coming to our site with old URL paths to direct them to the new URL. We sell auto parts so Each product from the old URL path would redirect to the new URL path of the exact same product. This erases pages just being sent to the home page. We have a fall back system catching OLD URLs and directing to NEW URLs but we do not know if we have explicit redirects on each page and our content management system only lets me put explicit 301 redirects into an htaccess box, which i cannot do many of because it will slow down the site. Could this be the problem? Google not recognizing our fallback system?

This migration took place February 28th. We saw drops in clicks and impressions (35,000 to 14,000 average daily impressions and 2,000 to 600 average daily clicks) right after the migration and continued throughout the month. I manage a few different sites, and I have not seen this kind of drop in traffic before from a site migration.

The google update on the 12th did lift a few of the sites I mange and drop a few, however, I do not see any correlation between that update and the time we migrated this site.

We lost a ton of clicks and impressions in the SERPs but in Google Analytics our traffic and revenue has stayed consistent. I waited a month to post because I wasn't sure how long it would take google to recognize all the new pages but I am now becoming worried this might start effecting the site's revenue.

I hope this was enough information that you might be able to give me a little insight into what is happening here.
    Last edited by bbrand; Mar 28th, 2019 at 11:58 AM.
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Post or PM me the domain name - I deal with helping sites recover from structure transitions and migrations a lot. Time is of the essence but it is usually a recoverable position.
  9. No Profile Picture

I Pm'd you
  11. No Profile Picture

well i would like to take more information from you