1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Lost Ranking After Moving to ASP

On Friday we finally moved our hompeage over to ASP from HTML.

Most of our other pages had been converted gradually with no adverse effect on our SERPs.

Today, I find that there has been a LOT of activity by Google on our site over the weekend, but we've dropped out of the serps totally for one of our major keywords, although we're not dropped totally.

Can switching to ASP have such an effect?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by schueymcfee
    On Friday we finally moved our hompeage over to ASP from HTML.

Most of our other pages had been converted gradually with no adverse effect on our SERPs.

Today, I find that there has been a LOT of activity by Google on our site over the weekend, but we've dropped out of the serps totally for one of our major keywords, although we're not dropped totally.

Can switching to ASP have such an effect?
    asp html or php shouldn't affect your serps. I'm guessing that you left the page names exactly the same, if however your home page has changed from index.html to index.asp this will have an affect because google sees it as a different page, however that said presuming that's the only change you should recover quite quickly. The home page is always the most sensitive page I once lost PR and SERPs changing from index.asp to index.php and it took 3 months to get back to my original position.

it also seems to be safer if you back links previously pointed to domain.com rather than domain.com/index.html for the home page
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Talking

Yes, I've changed from index.html to index.asp, and all of our back link work is pointing domain.com and not domain.com/index.html.

Would you say its best to stay in ASP now or revert back to HTML?

Thanks, you've made me feel much better, although I still need to change my pants!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Yes, I've changed from index.html to index.asp, and all of our back link work is pointing domain.com and not domain.com/index.html.

Would you say its best to stay in ASP now or revert back to HTML?

Thanks, you've made me feel much better, although I still need to change my pants!
    Are you SURE all your links pointed to domain.com/ and not domain.com/index.html? If that is the case, your issue is not related to changing from HTML to ASP. Check Google's cahce for domain.com/index.html. If it has one, that is probably your problem. So long as your EXTERNAL backlinks are to domain.com, Andy1664 is correct, Your SERPs should return.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  9. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

You really need to 301 the HTM pages to your ASP pages, even if they are the same name. Google sees index.asp and index.htm as two different pages.

If you do a thorough 301 job you should keep the same rankings.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The sites are running on an MS server.

IS it possible to 301 redirect on those?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I checked the cache for mydomain.com/index.html

There is one listing which has the old HTML title, but when you view the cache it shows the new ASP page :-?

What would this mean?
    Last edited by schueymcfee; May 31st, 2005 at 11:19 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I checked the cache for mydomain.com/index.html

There is one listing which has the old HTML title, but when you view the cache it shows the new ASP page :-?

What would this mean?
    I think your fine then. Keep an eye on your logs. If you get no 404 errors looking for /index.html, then neither Google, nor anyone else is aware it's missing.

It is possible to do a 301 on IIS, but it is more complex to do for a single page than on Unix. I don't think you need it anyway. The only thing a 301 does is give the new page credit for the old page's links and PR. If all of your external backlinks went to domain.com, your new index page already has credit for those, and if it doesn't already have credit for your internal links, it will as soon as they are indexed.

It is also possible that your drop in SERPs is completely unrelated to this issue. There has been a pretty significant shift for a lot of people in the last week.
  17. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

301 also seems to help with dupe penalty that occurs (which is what I think you're going through). It's not as easy on IIS but it can be done (and certainly doesn't hurt). 301 seems to get the old pages out of the database faster as the SEs now know what became of the pages.

You can find out more about IIS 301 at http://www.attention-to-details.com/newslog/37v-about-0-redirects-on-iis.asp
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the link thats great, although I'm unsure as to where I'm suppose to put it!

On the new page or the old page?

Because the old index.html page is still in the same place for when the index.asp file was uploaded it took over the domain automatically, so Google is never going to find it!

Should I put a link to domain.com/index.html on the new asp file and then add that 301 redirect code?

(We don't manage our server by the way, in case this needs to be done at the server end)
  21. <- Solan Gundersen

You were supposed to put the code in the old page, but that wan't help you since it's not an .asp page. The code will be written to the screen as regular text. If you have to run ASP in a regular HTML page you need change some settings in IIS which can be complicated since you aren't managing the server yourself.

You can also handle this by using a custom 404, but again, you have to change some settings on the server.

This can also be fixed if your host has IsapiRewrite or some similar URL rewrite engine installed (it's not free so I doubt they have). Anyway, there are also a free URL rewrite available if they think installing a URL rewrite is a good solution:
    http://www.iistoolshed.com/

Are your host able to help you with this?
  23. Mostly sane...

I am not sure how to do it in IIS, but there is a way to make ISAP handle HTML pages as if they had a .asp extension. If you used that option, then you wouldn't have to rename anything.-Michael
    Enjoy Poetry?
    Get a Home Equity Loan or Mortgage Refinancing today!
    Potential Bad Neighborhood checker.
  25. <- Solan Gundersen

I know how to do this in IIS and have done it, but again, you need your host to help you with this. Can they?

What you basically do is to change the Application Configuration on the server:
    http://www.webhelpinghand.com/iis_administration_home.htm

Just copy/paste the .asp settings more or less.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Mano70 is right. It's easy as pie if you have access to the Internet Services Manager Console. But I really think it's over kill for this problem. If drop in SERPs is really due to a duplicate content penalty, it will go away very soon. It was the home page that was changed - the most crawled page on the site. Google is going to notice the old one is gone and there will no longer be a duplicate content penalty.

Comments on this post

• Mano70 agrees : Agree, the problem will probably go away soon.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thumbs up

Okay, I'll leave as is for now and see if it recovers.

Thanks for everyone's help.