1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Lost google ranking?

I have a question I hope someone can answer. My website (Iíll call it mydomain.com) has been on the Internet since 1997. It has always been listed very high on all of the search engines. Since Google became popular it has always been ranked #1 using certain key words. I also own the same domain name under the extensions .net, .org and .biz. These are piggybacked on the .com domain name so if someone types in .net, .org or .biz a mirror of the .com site will come up. About 6 months ago my site disappeared from Google (it was still #1 on all the other search engines) and stayed off of Google for about 3 weeks. When it was re-indexed the .org site was listed, but further down in the rankings. About 3 weeks later the .com site appeared on Google again at its #1 ranking while the .org disappeared. 2-3 weeks later the .com disappeared and the .org was again listed. This has been going on for the last 6 months. Now all of the sudden the site does not come up at all on Google under .com or .org. My question is this, does Google penalize me for having the other domain names piggybacked on my .com domain? Or maybe I am just confusing them? Should I stop piggybacking the sites? I would like only the .com site to be indexed, the other extensions I only used in case someone would accidentally type in that extension. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  3. Unclassified
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Google can penalise for mirror sites / diuplicate content, and this may be what has happened. If this is the case then only usually one site will show in the search results.

If you only wish the .com to be indexed then create a 301 redirect for all the other domains. Google will then see that the other domains have been permanently redirected to the .com. Using this method normally ensures that any Page Rank or authority held by the other domains will be passed onto the .com. The only downside is that I have heard some of the other search engines have problems following 301's.
  5. Nice Guy
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I'm using different domains (mydomain.de, mydomain.com, mydomain.info) for my site. These domains are forwarding to the same content, could i get penalized for that?
  7. Unclassified
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by akany
    I'm using different domains (mydomain.de, mydomain.com, mydomain.info) for my site. These domains are forwarding to the same content, could i get penalized for that?
    It really depends what you mean by your domains being forwarded. The best advice I have always been given is to have one principal domain and forward all traffic to the others domains via 301 redirects.