Thread: Long-Tails

1. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Long-Tails

With great content and great links you can rank, convert and make money, right? W R O N G !

What is the one thing that is missing from above? The most important task in all of SEO? Keyword research!. For those of you who just said "duh, everyone knows that" I am here to tell you that you are probably not doing a good job at it and you are missing out on 50-90% of the traffic that is available to you.

Do you go to the KW estimator tool on Google, run your keywords and say "job done"? That's a good start but you need to run through all of your competitors and gather titles, H1s and themes on every page of their sites. You need to use a tilde in Google search (like this: ~hotels) and gather all the semantically related keywords you can. You need to mine KWs from the big boys like Amazon, JC Penney, Forbes and all the leaders in your industry. You need to scour white-papers and industry newsletters for more. Go to the Association site in your industry and see if they have convention and seminar presentations available for download. Interview leaders in the industry and ask them! Use Mil-spec numbers and descriptions, and brick and mortar skew numbers to get more. Run a PPC campaign for a few hundred dollars to see what people are typing into the query box at Google. Finished? do it all again and get more. Finished? Now you are ready to begin creating best of the web content and building quality, relevant inbound links.

Comments on this post

• tstolber agrees : Good post
    • DarrenHaye agrees : Excellent.
    • SEO_AM agrees : Great focus. I am as guilty as most in not going that extra mile.
    • EGOL agrees
    • Lb1878 agrees : Thank you for sharing
    • Avighna agrees : thanq sir
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Dec 10th, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Absolutely KP! I am a very strong advocate for doing keyword research. Seeing the puzzled expressions on people when you tell them that nobody searches for their "top keyword" is strong affirmation of the importance of keyword research.

Using a PPC campaign to do some short round time field testing on keywords is very important.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Thanks for this informative and helpfull post. Can I please ask a couple of questions :

1. When your site targets thousands of keywords, how do you know which one to prioritise for long tails in the way you describe ?
    2. What is : "You need to use a tilde in Google search "
    3. When you run a ppc campaign on your keyword, what information are you getting from that ? I assume they give you a list of keyword people are searching for ?
    4. When you have your list of longtails, what do you do with them. Do you try to work as many as you can into 1 page/post or do you have a seperate page targeting each one ?
    All The Fun Of The Fair !!!
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

My two cents

2. A tilde (this symbol ~ ) is used as an operator - in the Keywords search it also searches for keywords similar, or related to your keyword
    3. Traffic Quality - is one keyword with the same traffic and other things all being equal, better or worse than a comparison. Conversions - does one keyword convert to a goal better than others. What keywords don't work - filter out what not to waste your time on.
    4. The nature of a long tail keyword (in its proper sense) is a keyword that returns a few searches for a page that is not directly targeted to that particular keyword. This usually means, create some specific content for that long tail keyword and you will usually find that you capture a lot more traffic on that topic. This is a sort of in site analytics method - use your site and your users to tell you what you need to do on your site.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees : tstolber, "use your site and your users to tell you what you need to do on your site. " brilliant.
  9. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Fathom posted a whole theory to keyword research about 2 years ago. I've reposted the link a number of times and cannot find it at the moment. The gist of his theory was post-analysis keyword research. What I never fully understood is where to start as he suggested creating content then analyzing the data and keywords that were returning said page in the results and create new content from that data.

1) http://forums.seochat.com/keywords-3...ml#post1064919
    2) http://forums.seochat.com/keywords-3...se-249433.html

I thought there was another thread that explained this post analysis theory but I cannot find it. I know I have it stored somewhere and after an hour of searching on here and my computer, it's nowhere to be found. See what you can take from these past discussions. Hopefully it helps.

Comments on this post

• tstolber agrees
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Chinese Proverb
  11. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

1. When your site targets thousands of keywords, how do you know which one to prioritize for long tails in the way you describe ?

Forget about "targeting" Just do your KW research and create unique, compelling content built around that research. Then: tstolber: "use your site and your users to tell you what you need to do on your site."
  13. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I try to get as lost as I can in keyword research, but clients tend to stand in the way most of the time

Its always the same thing, "we want to rank for money because that's the biggest keyword in our market" and most of the time it takes a lot of work to explain to them that although that keyword shows to have a lot of searches and could bring a lot of traffic once you rank better for it, its not going to convert as well as long tail keywords would!

For example, you could rank #1 for money and #1 for cheap loan, but which of those is going to convert into getting a loan from your site? The second of course, but so many people simply see the high search numbers and thing that's all they need to aim for to make their websites successful.

I think doing as KernelPanic and tstolber have said is the best way to work out some true keywords which will bring you targeted traffic to convert in to sales (or what ever your goal is).

Comments on this post

• tstolber agrees
    • eddyf agrees : The person searching for blue widgets with pink dots probably has their credit card in hand.
    • KernelPanic agrees : well said
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  15. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

All my clients didnt liked longtail keys too, they allway want stand at top of google with the main keys, they always think can get more success with that. This is good topic get me more experiences support to clients.
    Last edited by jsteele823; Dec 12th, 2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: removed signature