1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Log-in page ranking instead of homepage due to high traffic on login page! How to avo

Hi all,

Our log-in page is ranking in SERP instead of homepage and some times both pages rank for the primary keyword we targeted. We have even dropped. I am looking for a solution for this. Three points here to consider is:

1. Our log-in page is the most visited page and landing page on the website.
    2. Even there is the primary keyword in this page or not; same scenario continues
    3. Log-in page is the first link bots touch when they crawling any page of our website as log-in page is linked on top navigation menu

If we move login page to sub-domain, will it works? I am worrying that we loose so much traffic to our website which will be taken away from log-in page sub domain

Please guide with your valuable suggestions.

Thanks
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Make your login page no index. A bot can't login anyway.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for such a quick reply. I have few doubts. Could you please clarify?

1) Many users are searching for "our login" page, still they can see it?
    2) Many users are searching for our brand and they are clicking on our login page from site links. Will the login page be shown in sitelinks even we noindex it?
    3) We are going to loose most of the traffic what usually our website counts for? Is that Okay?

Please guide, so that we wanna implement as per the suggestion

Thanks
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If your homepage is not ranking for anything, then its not a case that your login page is doing well, its that you have even been slapped on the front page, or something is seriously wrong..

Each page should have a unique title tag, so the first thing is to check that's the case.

The next is to spend some time making sure there is nothing obvious in the pages content.

I would look at this first before going down the noindex route as this is not likely to solve why your homepage is not ranking well.. (Although there are some experts who say the homepage should only rank for your brand..)
  9. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

The traffic searching for your login page will find it if your home page has an internal link to it, anyone wanting to log in will more than likely saved in their bookmarks or their
    history loads the search. Otherwise that traffic isn't there to log in,
  11. No Profile Picture

Without showing the log-in page in the search results, I think we are going to risk to the max. Many of our customers will be trouble finding it or feel like so by browsing through website which are used to find it very easily from search results. Even we did so, still the user finally reaches to log-in page which is a strong indicator to Google that it's the page most favoured by users? We have this log-in as a page on our website. How about moving it to a sub domain?
  13. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by satish.seo
    Without showing the log-in page in the search results, I think we are going to risk to the max. Many of our customers will be trouble finding it or feel like so by browsing through website which are used to find it very easily from search results. Even we did so, still the user finally reaches to log-in page which is a strong indicator to Google that it's the page most favoured by users? We have this log-in as a page on our website. How about moving it to a sub domain?
    Let me see if I understand this correctly...

You have folks that currently come to your site and login... now you are also worried that these folks will not be able to find you.

Dude, If I had an account on a site you best believe I would have that page memorized, bookmarked and so forth. Now also consider your home should have the information to find the login page on it.

To fix your problem with the login page out ranking the home page... here are the only things I can think of...
    (note: 1 and 2 have already been mentioned above )
    1. robots.txt --- disallow it there
    2. robots meta tag --- no index
    3. rel=canonical is the last option. Put a canonical on the login page to give the juice to the home page.

Choose one of the above, or leave it alone. That's about the only option I can see..
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If you move it to a subdomain, it's virtually the same issue anyway? The links leading to the subdomain will still pass juice and still rank the login page to whatever you're instructing Google to rank it for?

There must be a reason as to why Google's ranking that page for these terms you don't want it to, they wouldn't rank a page with absolutely no relevance out of nowhere in my opinion, although I could be wrong. Have you checked all the internal links leading to your log-in page, making sure none of the anchors are related to the term you aren't wanting to rank for?

Even there is the primary keyword in this page or not; the same scenario continues

That suggests you did once have the keywords on this page, how long have you left it since? I've had a term snipped on a post on SEO chat... the keyword is no longer present... it's now been 2-3 weeks and it's still ranking for the term; even though the word is no longer there... So that's just a waiting game, have you waited if so how long?

After the 3 experts above have advised you on what to do, you're still talking about the subdomain idea, not much point in asking for advice if you're going to dismiss it all and still talk about the idea you suggested anyway really.
    Last edited by matt1966; Nov 17th, 2017 at 11:02 PM.
    Yorkshire tea will probably answer your question...
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Satish.seo,
    This is a total guess answer. Without any detailed info, no one here can do any more.

One problem could be that your log-in page contains very little text and that its title tag and page heading (H1 tag?) include the search query term in question.

Your Home page likely includes much longer text that encompasses a more diverse range of information topics. These attributes can dilute a page's ranking for a specific query.

A page with very little content but which is very search query specific can rank top of specific search terms.

If you amend your log-in page's title to tell people it is your "log-in" page and amend its description meta tag you may end up with 2 pages ranking for the same query but hopefully your different titles/meta tags will show the different purposes of the pages.

I'd love to obtain multiple pages ranking for the same search query because:

• competition pages are knocked off the top 10 list
    • searchers will tend to think your site is more authoritative if G lists multiple pages

Back to your SERP results...

It is likely that this result could be heavily influenced by:

• the level of competition for the search query
    • what preliminary G. algo. factors kick in. (Eg, Location factors, RankBrain factors, etc.)

Are you searching on a G country specific SE and are all the top search pages from your country? If so, you may be in a much less competitive search market than where G USA businesses compete.

In which case, external links and link text may be an insignificant factor in the problem/solution.