1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Local rankings - comparison of two pages

How to outrank global page (.com) with local page (in my example .si) on local version of Google (google.si).

Example: keyword "ukash"

On google.si: 1st place: ukash.si (PR2)
    2nd place: ukash.com (PR6)

What ukash did to achieve that?
  3. No Profile Picture

The .com big guys will often outrank the smaller local websites purely on their domain authority. If you target maybe 3 kw combinations or have a really local specifier within the KW combination then smaller websites have a better chance.
    I also suspect that establishing your identity as local - G places - local address details on website and so on will help
    It is possible on these multi combination kws - but competitive one worders are very hard

Good luck

Colin
  5. No Profile Picture

Yes, but as i said above, ukash.si somehow managed to outrank ukash.com, although ukash.com has much higher authority... If you analyze those to pages, what brought ukash.si in front of ukash.com?
  7. No Profile Picture

Oh...i see...it is normally the other way around. Usually people complain about the .com outranking the local google search engine. Strangley i just read this article
    stateofdigital.com/google-broken which looks at the problems of the local google going wrong.
    The reasons: it could be that Google is giving preference to the website which is in the local language...and as simple as that. It could be the .si domain has been geotargeted and G recognises this as a country indicator and so on.
    Let's see what other people suggest

Best wishes

Colin

Comments on this post

• Adam.W agrees
    Last edited by dzine; Apr 24th, 2014 at 09:44 AM. Reason: edited, then approved
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Yes Google will have a preference to rank the .si site if it recognizes it as local. Note many people buy geo specific sites to do this but they don't do it properly and it is obvious what they are trying to achieve.

But most importantly it is about local back links ... and the .si site example you gave has these so Google concludes it is more important locally than the .com version
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

The above is correct - Google recognizes .si as a native ccTLD to Slovenia, the content is in Slovene whereas your site is in English. I checked the localization page and there was no way to switch to Slovene. Whether this is the only factor causing the .si site to outrank you, I cannot say for sure.

I am surprised considering just how many more backlinks ukash.com has. At some point I feel like that would give the site more bearing than the language factors - but then again, if no one clicks the .com site due to the language barrier, or they click and immediately bounce, this can hurt you too.

Normally I would recommend utilizing local directories, but it seems your business is actually in the UK. Instead, you might want a ukash.com/si/ directory on your site written in Slovene. Right now you just have /en-si/ for language-country. It wouldn't be as effective as a .si, but it might send enough geographical signals to Google. Of course, with this strategy you're risking losing your google.si rankings for the non-/si/ version of your site, so consider how much the #1 spot would benefit you over the current #2 before implementation.