1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Local to national SEO help

I have a local site that ranks very well for multiple local keywords in google and this generates most of our current traffic. We are doing so well that we would like to expand into another region however we are afraid that we will have to start over from a SEO standpoint with new keywords. We would like to use our current homepage (that is currently modified for local keywords) as a general homepage and then link to the city specific pages for future expansion.

Is there a way to move our current homepage www . widgets . com to www . widgets . com/city without loosing our current ranking?

Any thoughts/recommendations are appreciated! Thanks!
  3. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by siteGuy
    I have a local site that ranks very well for multiple local keywords in google and this generates most of our current traffic. We are doing so well that we would like to expand into another region however we are afraid that we will have to start over from a SEO standpoint with new keywords. We would like to use our current homepage (that is currently modified for local keywords) as a general homepage and then link to the city specific pages for future expansion.

Is there a way to move our current homepage www . widgets . com to www . widgets . com/city without loosing our current ranking?

Any thoughts/recommendations are appreciated! Thanks!
    Not really...If I undersatnd correctly you want to put different conetnt on your home page so you cannot use a redirect. You may be better of making you attempt at national by using a specifc page/directory/subdomain or something such like. If your page is making you money and you do not want to risk it.

It does to some extent depend on why you have those rankings. Normally winning a local market is not that difficult. You could start a new page on your site with different local market content and try to get that to rank well before you change your home page to target a more national/different regional markets.
    Live the moment
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by gazzahk
    Not really...If I undersatnd correctly you want to put different conetnt on your home page so you cannot use a redirect. You may be better of making you attempt at national by using a specifc page/directory/subdomain or something such like. If your page is making you money and you do not want to risk it.

It does to some extent depend on why you have those rankings. Normally winning a local market is not that difficult. You could start a new page on your site with different local market content and try to get that to rank well before you change your home page to target a more national/different regional markets.

Thanks, you are correct that we want to put different content on our current homepage so we couldn't use a redirect.

The local market was fairly large with a good amount of traffic i.e. "Chicago widgets" and we just cringe at loosing this traffic by switching our homepage keywords to more generic terms i.e. "widgets"

I like your idea about creating another page and waiting it out until it ranks well but we were looking for a more timely solution (maybe there isn't one)...
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

for me that will most likely beginning from the very start...
  9. SEO at Sea

If you do not want to create multiple web pages for "out of local area" content and visitors, you might want to diversify your in bound link portfolio. Keep with your current link theme but, mix in a few other state or city references.

My advice though, create state or city specific pages.
  11. Full-Time In-House SEO'er

I was in this same boat, and I decided rather than do anything tricky with redirects, that I would just man up and do it the right way. I was originally optimizing a site for a theater in pitman, nj, but wanted to get found on non-local searches.

I left Pitman in the title tag and went after the mighty keyword, "broadway theater".

Today, I am #1 for the former and always around the top 5 in the latter. A tiny little theater in Pitman outranking all of the huge theaters in the world, with traffic, attendance and sales soaring.

I reckon you do the same.
  13. No Profile Picture

thanks for all the help! very helpful insight