1. No Profile Picture

Are local listings bad?

Up until recently (I guess since the latest Google update) my (two) sites ranked pretty much 1st and 2nd for searches for "rugs Glasgow" and "rugs Scotland" - however now Google seems to have pretty much replaced three quarters of the first page with local listings. My sites still show up in these local listings but as a result seem to have been removed from the general/full SERPs.

My issue is that A) any of the description of the pages disappear (although my site that ranks 1 does have 3 sub-links underneath it on it's local listing) making selection for searchers much more difficult leading to B) I'd just scroll by the local listings thinking they are lesser than the old-style natural listings below them and I'd imagine many others would.

I've since changed my local listings homepage to my contact us page in the hope it lists that AND then lists our homepage in the natura listings, but don't know if that's a bad idea?

Anyone have similar issues or any ideas what's the best practice?
  3. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Yeah I feel your pain. You rank #1 organically for a killer key phrase then Google decides to pop a 7-pack of places above you. You rank now in Places but the listing is not near as click-worthy as a juicy #1 organic rank.

I will list all of your options for again appearing high on the page with an attractive listing:
    1) PPC

5. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Yeah I feel your pain. You rank #1 organically for a killer key phrase then Google decides to pop a 7-pack of places above you. You rank now in Places but the listing is not near as click-worthy as a juicy #1 organic rank.

I will list all of your options for again appearing high on the page with an attractive listing:
    1) PPC

Yup. I hate this, too.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Here in the UK I have been spotting this a lot over the last week.
    One of my keywords where I ranked quite high for now is bombed with either paid for ads or google+ pages (old local listings) I cant remember the exact number as I type but above the fold it was something like 17 links to paid for or google+ v 2 organic results.

I don't fully understand googles thinking here, they claim they want more accurate results for the user but instead bomb the user with adverts. They need to tread very carefully else people will turn their backs on google in favour of a less heavy advertising search engine. I am not against google making money but if the last week is an indication of what is coming in 2013 I do fear for organic searching in general.
    Good SERPS is great, Traffic however is even better
  9. No Profile Picture

Am I better to change the url in my places (more accurately Google+) account in hope that it will allow a places/local AND natural listing?

As far as I can make out if it shows you in local listings it completely removes you from natural listings. There appears to be no way to stop it showing local listings.

I have adblock plus so never see PPC so don't notice them but I can say in my industry it is a rip-off (tactile business that people want to see and feel in real life before buying).
  11. Contributing User

I can confirm that your google+ page does not replace your organic page.
    I just searched on a keyword + town and I appear 1st in organic and 1st in the google+ pages sp both are there but there are only 2 organic results in view unless you scroll down.

As far as advice on google+ pages, I cant help you I am afraid, I am only a casual user on there but might have to look a bit more seriously at it seeing as google in displaying its own products ahead of the normal results.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Organic rankings are not fully dependent on the maps rankings thats why you see different rankings in maps and different in search results organically. The concept is, organic SERPs are created for majority of the users who are searching on the web for information and product search, whereas, local listings are created for those who need directions to reach to a particular destination or want to compare 2 businesses of same nature of business.

It is my understanding. need your thoughts.

Frank Quinn
  15. Contributing User

G has called me on my cell phone 6 times in the last 1 1/2 trying to get me in places. They told me it would hurt my ranking if I did not. Could not believe I got a G call... I have opted not to myself. My ranking is uneffected thus far.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Why would your rankings get effected due to Google places? I am astonished..
  19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Doyle
    G has called me on my cell phone 6 times in the last 1 1/2 trying to get me in places. They told me it would hurt my ranking if I did not. Could not believe I got a G call... I have opted not to myself. My ranking is uneffected thus far.
    Assuming by G you mean google, They dont phone you, well not here in the UK they dont. If you listen carefully to how they introduce themselves they are selling google products i.e. PPC amd are not google themselves. They do dress it up with fancy words and mention google quite a few times to give you the impression they are from google but trust me they are scam artists. I get them all the time which is funny seeing as I am registered on TPS for NO SALES CALLS. If I get a sales call from these people in my mind they are fair game, and I give them hell.

To give you some idea I had one only yesterday who did not even know what SERPS was, claimed he had never heard of it. for a giggle I asked him how much for 1 keyword for 1 month. He quoted me 20,000 per month and told me I was getting a bargain LOL. just the keyword plus my town it was only 500 per month with unlimited clicks by the way, He had not checked but I am already #1 for my town in organic, I wont repeat how the call went on from there but lets just say he hung up while I was having such fun as well, shame on him.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees
  21. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Doyle
    If they are claiming to be google, your being scammed, as Chedders said Google doesn't call you and for sure not 6 times.

Google is sticking these in the natural results for more revenue and once that stops working for G, they'll change their plan of attack. It's a never ending battle.
  23. Contributing User

They called me, surly I am not the only one they have called... I could not believe it the first time. The second time I started getting worried. Could of been someone else I suppose. But they knew about my G account. The rankings never went south so I did not include the G places. They asked me " why I was not in G places" and then told me that it could effect my rankings if I did not. All 6 calls in the year and a half was the same, Different people sounded like. I'm sure someone else has had something similar happen. Very unlikely they singled me out. They called the number on my google account and my website. My cell.
  25. Contributing User

I was in Google places then I closed it. 4 months later is when the calls started.