1. Free the SB
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

A little bit about serps, allinanchor, plurals and singular

Just noticed this. For my main kw phrase, the site that was 2 moved to 1. Did a little checking on their anchor text
    for the main keyword phrase keyword1 keyword2 (singular)

They are ranked #3 in allinanchor for this phrase.

I looked at a lot of their backlinks in msn.beta. It appears that much of their anchor text (most of it) is as follows: business name keyword1 keyword2(plural).

Alternatively much of our anchor text is Name keyword1 keyword2(singular) or alternatively keyword1 keyword2 (singular)

We are ranked #1 in allinachor for that phrase; #6 in serps

For the plural version of the phrase they are ranked #1 in allinchor and #1 or 2 in serps.

We are 6th in serps for the plural keyword phrase, not in the top 50 for allinanchor for keyword1keyword2 (plural).

Summary; Probably the vast majority of their links are keyword1 keyword2(plural) and they have a high allinanchor ranking for the singular version of the 2 keywords. We have lots of links for keyword1keyword2(singular) but no position in plural allinanchor.

We are both high in serps for both plural and singular versions of the main keywords.

Thought that was interesting. Also we both rank high in serps and allinanchor for just Keyword1

It appears that plural keywords get you value in allinanchor for the singular but singular keywords don't get you value in allinanchor for the plural. Despite that there must be some heavy weight on theming that applies to the serps for either version.

Hope that was clear.

Dave
  3. Free the SB
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I thought what I wrote was hard to figure out. I scarcely follow what you are trying to do.

This was a first time observation for me. I need to go back and read some theories about anchor text that have been put forward. I think Jason put one out that made some sense to me about google assigning percentages to different words in anchor text. Frankly none of us know. We just test, experiment and measure the results in serps in google.

All I saw and all I looked at were the following;

many bls w/ keyword1 keyword2(plural) (probably all or 95% of them) currently positioned this site #1 in serps for keyword1 keyword2 singular. They are also in top 3 for allinanchor for keyword1 keyword2(singular)

Many bls w/kw1 kw2(singular) (virtually all of them) positioned the the site #6 in serps for kw1kw2singular and 5th for kw1kw2plural although no ranking at all in allinanchor for kw1kw2plural. Obviously theming of some sort takes precedence of allinanchor in that case.

It seems that kw1kw2plural covers more bases (serps and allinanchor for both) than kw1kw2singular. Regardless with some content about kwd1kwd2(plural) it still can work for serps even w/ just anchor text that is kwd1kwd2(singular).

The other site has significantly more bls than mine, about the same # of pages, and more bls w/ what I believe adds relevancy to both kwd1kwd2(plural) in that they come from many different relevant locations (I'm in 1 location). I've checked through serps going about 500 deep and I have the most "theme" related bls (at least in the eyes of the serps for kwrd1kwrd2 (singular)

Finally both sites rank 1st page for serps for keyword1

It seems logical to me that there is some kind of weighting to keywords in bls and that "weighting" applies to all the words in the anchor text...though probably at different levels.

My experience is for one little industry. I'd love to hear what webmasters with multiple sites in multiple categories have experienced with this including those in both more and less competititve phrases.

Good luck with your sucking widgets.

Dave